Better input for ModMic 4 than Realtek ?.

Associate
Hi,

I have a ModMic 4 that I am just trying to get running and the audio is almost silent unless the mic is against my lips.

I have read the Realtek motherboard sound (Realtek® ALC892) is not very good for mics so am looking for an alternative or other suggestions.

I am using a Fiio E10k for my Speakers / Headphones but it has no Mic input.

What is my best option to use with the ModMic to give decent sound quality / volume ?.

I also have a Blue Snowball USB but my environment is too noisy most of the time hence trying out the unidirectional ModMic.

Any ideas / suggestions ?.

Thanks.

Soldato
Sure you've got the mic input turned up? Using a modmic on my Asus boards realtek and all okay here.

Otherwise the xonar cards that pop up second hand for a tenner on here have an amped mic input iirc.

Soldato
There's a gain setting.

When I have used just cheap Speedlink and Zalman microphones with onboard audio that isn't even as good as ALC892, the volume was more than loud enough with 20dB gain.

Associate
OP
THanks for the replies.

I ramped it up to 30db gain and could barely hear it in recordings.

I am recording with Shadowplay whilst playing The Division.

I have even been playing around with VB-Audios VoiceMeeter Banana and whilst that seemed to get better levels on the mic I couldn't get the mic to work in game...

If there is an external dac that anyone can recommend then that would fit quite nicely with my current setup. I am very happy with my Fiio DAC for my audio.

Soldato
Well that is surprising. Modmic is a far better microphone than the Speedkink and Zalman.

I guess having whatever name/number Realtek codec is pretty irrelevant. Must depend on the motherboard manufacturers implementation?

Trouble with looking at a DAC is that they are for audio output only. You'd need a sound card for microphone input. Internal one would be cheaper than a USB one. Xonar DGX maybe. There were some cheap Creative cards, but they seem to have disappeared from OcUK.

As above, you may find a used DGX or similar in the MM for less, if not wanting to spend much.

Associate
OP
I have emailed AntLion to ask them as the feedback here seems to be that the mic should be working better than it is. Will see what they say.

Failing that I will take a look at the Xonar as suggested. I am not currently in the Uk so will have to purchase from the main second hand internet source and get it shipped.

Soldato
Oh sorry, didn't look at your location. :o

Yes worth looking into a possible fault. Something that didn't come to mind before. Possible though, as it seems odd that's it's not loud enough even with full 30dB gain.

Associate
OP
Just a quick update... it is working fine now.

So what I did was
Disable the sound in the MB bios
Used my Blue Snowball for a few days.
Received a request from the Modmic support people to capture tue sound so they could better try and help.
Enabled the sound on the MB.
A few reboots
All working fine...

Time to rebuild the PC again maybe ;).

Thanks to all those who replied.

Back
Top Bottom