How does your life change when you move out?

Soldato
Zero anger from my side, but someone has to put a reality check on the overly idealistic nonsense you have been repeating in the thread surrounding living with parents, and how materialism is the root of all evil and everyone should just give up their job and leave the country for a year in their mid-thirties. It's hardly a sensible or balanced viewpoint.

Actually I never said anything about materialism being evil, just I had kind of grown out of it to a degree. You deffo put words in my mouth there.

I never said anything about leaving the country either. I do agree with you on some of your points, just you came across pretty strong but I guess if you firmly believe it then it is what it is.

Unrelated, I looked at your flickr and you are much better with a camera than you are at guessing my past ;) I especially like the expectant Fish one

Compared to most young people living at home that is indeed a fairytale privilege.

Fine then, I had a fairy tale privilege for 4 of my 30 years at home. Not exactly the way I had it for ever and we used to live in a tiny 2 bedroom terraced house when I was a teenager. It was through some good fortune we were able to move to a bigger property.
My parents divorced when I was 5, I have lived in a lot of very modest places I assure you, it was only later on in life my mum and step dad became better off.

Last edited:
Associate
I moved out at 26 buying my own place, it's a great feeling to sit in your own home look around and think, it's all mine! lol

Hard to leave my dad on his own at first and spent a few nights a week sleeping on the sofa at his house.

That was over 10 years ago now, still own that first home and bought a second one with the missus 2 years ago.

To answer the OP question how does it change your life? For me it was:

More organised, independence & personal space.
Less spending money.
Great future investment.

Associate
Could you not house share with said mates?

A 3 bed semi can't be that much split 3 ways. Even if its 2 doubles and a single, there is always that one mate that is never home and just needs a place to rest their head.

I'd rather own my own place outright which is what I'm working towards money wise. Few more years and I should be where I want to be financially to do it. I have no qualms about living at home in the meantime.

Permabanned
I think we've all given the OP things to consider here. Some people will think of your situation as being a bit of a loser, others won't as we are all born to different circumstances. Others suggest flat shares, some buying and others suggest branching out and experiencing life from a whole different perspective.

One thing I'm sure we all agree on though, is that it would be a great shame to spend your life in the bedroom you spent your teenage years, there's so much opportunity out there and you won't see it. Believe me those years will start accelerating, so whatever you do; Don't put it off too long.

Man of Honour
Fine then, I had a fairy tale privilege for 4 of my 30 years at home. Not exactly the way I had it for ever and we used to live in a tiny 2 bedroom terraced house when I was a teenager. It was through some good fortune we were able to move to a bigger property.
My parents divorced when I was 5, I have lived in a lot of very modest places I assure you, it was only later on in life my mum and step dad became better off.

No-one is judging you. You shouldn't feel the need to defend yourself. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Soldato
No-one is judging you. You shouldn't feel the need to defend yourself. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Well that's how I took it, hence why I was surprised. I'm not about to feel guilty for anything that is for sure. I'd understand if I said I had my own separate detached property on my parents estate but I didn't think what I had written was that uncommon.
Probably me taking things too black or white. Apologies if I've said anything out of turn, it isn't intentional.

Caporegime
Well that's how I took it, hence why I was surprised. I'm not about to feel guilty for anything that is for sure. I'd understand if I said I had my own separate detached property on my parents estate but I didn't think what I had written was that uncommon.
Probably me taking things too black or white. Apologies if I've said anything out of turn, it isn't intentional.

A rare moment of introspection for OCUK.

Apologies if I came across aggressively judgemental.

Caporegime
I'd rather own my own place outright which is what I'm working towards money wise. Few more years and I should be where I want to be financially to do it. I have no qualms about living at home in the meantime.

I really don't understand this obsession with seeing owning a house as the first meaningful thing you do in life. It not only seems to stop people getting out there and enjoying life while they worry about saving for a mortgage, but it is is also crippling for a long period during a time when you are young and financially vulnerable, and ties you down to one spot at a time of life where you should be flexible. It's really a British thing, and I know much of the rest of the EU think we are barmy for being so anti-renting.

Associate
Moved out at 18 when i went to uni and that was it. Rented through uni with housemates, then with my girlfriend when i left uni and have been ever since. I'm 27 now and we just put an offer in on what will hopefully be the first home we actually own.

Can't imagine being 35 and still living with parents, you need your own space - it's a right of passage and teaches you how to look after yourself.

Associate
35, ouch!

I moved out when I was 18 for university, and haven't lived with my parents since then (turned 28 yesterday). I've so far lived in 12 different properties in a variety of house shares, renting with ex-girlfriends, living on my own etc. I've learnt as awful amount about myself in that time. However living wise, the happiest I've even been is living with close friends. Is that an option for you currently?

Soldato
Wow at some of the replies in here.

It's becoming more common for people to stay at home later now especially with the current climate. I'm not far off 30 and still at home as I went slightly mad with loans when I was younger to keep getting new cars. Now I've got my head screwed on regarding finances once I've paid my debts off, I'll be in a position to move out.

My parents are fine with me living at home currently as they are in the mindset that renting is wasting money and that I'd be better off putting it all into a deposit for a mortgage.

Most of my friends are still at home and doing similar regarding saving for mortgage deposits instead of renting. The ones who have moved out have been given a house from the council due to them having kids or where lucky enough that their parents where in a position to give them the deposit for a mortgage apart from one who won around £40k on the lottery which covered his deposit and then some.

Soldato
I had an unusual moving out experience. My parents divorced when I was 21. My mum moved out immediately renting somewhere local and my dad stayed in the 'family home' with me and my brother for a couple of years. My dad met someone and eventually moved out to live with them (they later married.. 15+ years together now) which left me and my brother in the house. We both stayed there for a few years before buying our own houses.

For us nothing really changed when we moved out. Our parents moved out before us and we just kept going on as normal.

daz

daz

Soldato
Moving out is when you become a proper adult in many respects. Until then, you're basically a man child.

Haven't you even considered getting a flat share with some friends? There's more to life than "owning" a property and paying a mortgage.

Soldato
Rent just seems like wasted money, at the end of it you don't own anything. What if you can't get a flatshare with some friends?

Seems like you'll just end up with no spare income and spend it all on just surviving, unless you get an above average wage (basing this all on London).

Back
Top Bottom