Mercedes E-Class Coupe 2010: Things to look out for?

Associate
Going to see one tomorrow that has 140k on the clock. Plenty of Mercedes service history, which gives me good confidence in the car, but I just wondered if there's anything in particular to look out for that may be considered 'known issues'.. Im not much of a car person, so any advice appreciated.

Thank you!

TS7

TS7

Soldato
How much, may I ask?

I'm in the market for one but with lot less miles. Intrigued as to the price difference? Which engine?

Associate
OP
You aren't really a car person, by your own admission, so what I'd suggest looking out for is something that isn't a high-mileage premium branded car.
Currently drive a 2004 E320.. just looking for 'known issues', as I said :)
How much, may I ask?

I'm in the market for one but with lot less miles. Intrigued as to the price difference? Which engine?
E350, £10k

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Currently drive a 2004 E320.. just looking for 'known issues', as I said :)

E350, £10k

For 11k you can get E350 AMG Line Coupes with less than 80k. I think that 1-2k extra would be better come resale time. Even if you put 20k on I can't imagine anyone wanting to touch a 160k 3.0 premium turbo car. If there was a significant saving I could perhaps understand the lure of going super high miles but not at these price differences.

Associate
OP
For 11k you can get E350 AMG Line Coupes with less than 80k. I think that 1-2k extra would be better come resale time. Even if you put 20k on I can't imagine anyone wanting to touch a 160k 3.0 premium turbo car. If there was a significant saving I could perhaps understand the lure of going super high miles but not at these price differences.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, £10k is already a stretch budget and the model I'm going for is already decided. Plus, it is AMG too! I'm still just looking to know about known issues, if any, though. Resale value and future mileage is not a concern for now, this is a short-term solution :)

Man of Honour
Stretching the budget to buy a 140k mile Mercedes doesn't seem like that great an idea. I think you've chosen a model that's outside a sensible budget if all you can find are 140k milers.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;30458037 said:
Stretching the budget to buy a 140k mile Mercedes doesn't seem like that great an idea. I think you've chosen a model that's outside a sensible budget if all you can find are 140k milers.

It's only a viewing, I'm not necessarily getting it. But again, I appreciate the input.

The original question still stands.. :confused:

Soldato
The turbos leak oil onto the turbo ECU wisely placed directly below the turbo, this can lead to the variable veins on the turbo wigging out and leaving the car in limp home mode. This will cost you new turbo/manifolds etc...

I'm speaking from experience, apparently the 320 engine was "fixed" when it became the 350, in the words of a certain president... Wrong.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The S350 is the private hire car of choice with an absolute glut of 200k mile examples going through private sales and auctions all of the time now that the 221 model has been replaced and fleets are upgrading.

They cant be that bad :)

(I have a 2010 E350 Cabriolet, but ive not had it long enough to comment on reliability, it is also has half the mileage mentioned here).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Good, although there are a couple of Hifi options available and ive no experience with the base audio.

Navigation is good, 3d, high resolution, HDD based so nice and fast with all of the inputs you could hope for really. Screen is small compared with some cars (Read: F-series BMW's) but is the same as other Mercedes from the era. It wasn't until the 2013 all new S-Class and the 2016 all new E-Class that the screen got any bigger. Functionally its good though, i use it regularly around London and it has never posed any shortcomings.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The line only came out in 2009 with the E-Class so its not better than you'd expect from a 2009 premium car, the system in the F01 7-Series from 2008 is better.

But yeah, its pretty good :)

Soldato
A £10k E class sounds fine

One at the bottom end of the facelift price wise and highish end mileage wise could be pretty risky. In saying that there's every chance it will run fine and the biggest problem will be moving it on again.

£10k is too much money for me to take that risk as I'd say it's at the right age to start throwing niggling issues along with potential mileage related ones, but if you're someone who can afford to deal with that (if it even happens) then fair enough

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Went and saw the car this evening, looks quite incredible considering the clock. Full and very regular services, all at Mercedes, and receipts for everything. Paintwork and alloys are both much better than expected considering the age. Tyres good all round, heated seats.. Harmon Kardon speakers that were also very impressive. Took it for a brief test drive and it seemed very smooth with nothing apparent sticking out. The mileage certainly seems to be the only downside to this, so we shall see... :)

Back
Top Bottom