New wheels! Change the colour or give them a go?

Man of Honour
OP
Can see why the centre caps cost so much to spec on the options list now :p

I would be happy to buy a new set only you can't buy these ones anymore as far as I can tell. With that said my only option is to spray them up and make them look as good as they can, or buy cheap plastic ones. Doing some bodywork makes a nice change from hitting stuff with spanners so I am not complaining.

Hopefully I will have some images of the finished product up within a few weeks at most. Not sure if I will just fit them and transfer tyres from current wheels or stick some new rubber on them, quite fancy trying the Michelin Super Sports rather than the Bridgestones that I am running at the moment so I will decide a bit closer to the time I think.

Man of Honour
OP
Final one of prep, this fella was damaged part crest and part on the cap... Repair is about as good as I can get it:

Should be pretty much invisible once painted up. Next shots will be the wheels back from the spray shop :):p

Man of Honour
OP
Well lads they are back... Took a while but the spray job on the dishes and the center caps didn't cost me a penny as I did the prep. End result:

The outside rims were previously powder coated in a chrome finish before I bought them and for now, even though they aren't perfect is how they will stay. They should be diamond cut but I suspect that the powder coat might be hiding some damage.

All that's left to do is the detail work on the center caps, after my rebuilding it this is how the center cap with the worst damage came out:

All that remains to do it put a bit of body colour down and re-clear the centers, get a tub of vaseline for between the centers, torque up 72 bolts and I am away... All that will be left then is to decide on what tyres to put on them.

Man of Honour
OP
Oh the humanity!

For every pair I buy and I am not going to lie I have a lot, some small child in some 3rd world country gets a pair. This cant be a bad thing...

Anyway I started the detail work...

not sure how far I will go on each cap yet but this is a very quick peek of where I got to in 30 mins last night:

Ignore the wheel off to the left that's another set I am part way through refurbishing, Not really sure the image does justice to how it looks but it gives an idea. The details I am painting in by hand are all colour matched to the cars paint. :)

Man of Honour
OP
As tedious as that sounds, I would definitely get a lot of joy out of doing that and then enjoying the finished product. Keep us posted with pics :)

You are right, it sounds really tedious and it is. I had in mind that I wanted these wheels but didn't just want them to be the same as every other 911 out there that happens to be rocking the same wheels. I also wanted the wheel center caps to match a custom bonnet badge I am having made up to match. To me its just the little finishing touches to tie it all together.

As these are a second set I can take my time with them and make them a bit different by adding my own little touches. Tonight I am going to try and get a couple of the centers finished, I was going to buy new bolts but at £30 for 10 and I need 76 I decided that every bolt is getting polished up before bolting them back together.

Man of Honour
OP
They do look nice and clean now, do you have any pictures with them installed on the car yet? :D

I don't just yet, still working on them :( I am still sitting here trying to finish this paint. All I have right now is this:

Man of Honour
OP
Wow, great work Vince. That is looking really good!

What's the chance of you painting the STUTTGART text? :D

I think it is possible, I might need a smaller brush though, I am already doing a fair amount of clean up because my hand isn't anywhere near steady enough and I think that could well send me crazy. Sitting back looking at it, it's the look I was going for, minimal but enough to bring out some of the detail.

Happy with that I think :D

Man of Honour
I think it is possible, I might need a smaller brush though, I am already doing a fair amount of clean up because my hand isn't anywhere near steady enough and I think that could well send me crazy. Sitting back looking at it, it's the look I was going for, minimal but enough to bring out some of the detail.

Happy with that I think :D

Depending how thick the paint is it might be easier to use a syringe and a blunt 30 gauge needle to syringe the paint into the Stuttgart text

Back
Top Bottom