Status
Not open for further replies.

hux

hux

Soldato
Best way of cleaning with just a bucket?

I did have an alaska f1 brush which was good, any suggestions?

Bought some duragloss 901 and 957, the wax has good reviews and I've always preferred sealants for being so easy to use.

Soldato
Best way of cleaning with just a bucket?

I did have an alaska f1 brush which was good, any suggestions?

Bought some duragloss 901 and 957, the wax has good reviews and I've always preferred sealants for being so easy to use.

For wheels?

Wheel Woolies USA & a auto finesse detailing brush (come in a pack of 2). Awesome quality and will last you a very long time. :)

Man of Honour
Thoughts please.

Collected my car today, looks great but under the LED observation lights the scratches, especially on the bonnet look terrible, like someone has gone at it with a key frankly. Now they are not obvious under normal light but I need it fixed. I am not a detailing expert and to be fair the bodyshop said a proper detailer would remove them, I can't with scratch X for example, doesnt even touch them, but wondering how a proper detailer would go about such a thing. You can feel them as I say they look bloody awful under LED and just interested to understand the process of removing them. If I have to I will have to have the bonnet painted, which I would prefer not to do. I have the car looking great, but it's a swirl mark showroom right now and those need fixing as do the bigger marks on the bonnet.

Caporegime
Just get a decent detailer to come take a look. I assume your "scratch-x'ing" was by hand?

I've removed some pretty hefty scratching using my rotary polisher (indeed the scratches I "implemented" on my S3 last week, by openeing the garage door into it have now gone).

Assuming it's not gone all the way through the clearcoat, any detailer worth their salt will be able to make them disappear.

Associate
Found my new favourite sealant for adding and topping up the protection. There are a few on the market now but went with CarPro Hydro2 lite.

Spray on a wet car, pressure wash off, now 3 months protection. Excellent!

maATbJc.jpg

JXaVaI1.jpg

Associate
Don't put Hyrdo2 on your windscreen the beading is great but you will end up with wiper judder! I found this out the hard way and it takes a good glass polish to get it off! Great for bodywork though. I e-mailed Carpro to ask them and they did say it is not for glass.

Soldato
Don't put Hyrdo2 on your windscreen the beading is great but you will end up with wiper judder! I found this out the hard way and it takes a good glass polish to get it off! Great for bodywork though. I e-mailed Carpro to ask them and they did say it is not for glass.

I had no such issues with Gyeon WetCoat, it works a treat. Also just how much product did the guy in the video spray? :o Four sprays of WetCoat would do a large panel easily. The only thing I didn't like about it was the water spotting after rain (which all SiO2 products seem to suffer from).

Associate
Used the Same detailing drying towels for the first time today that I linked to earlier on last week.
A low pile towel, but a nice soft edge. 2 towels used and a bone dry car. For £1.50 each, can't complain.

Would also make a great low pile buffing towel I think.

Man of Honour
Haven't washed the car in ages, it was filthy. Left it soak for ages with a few coats of snow foam. Pressure washer removed most of the rest, then gave it a quick hand wash. Looking forward to some nicer weather so that I can give it a good detail with clay and some HD wax. No point at the moment, the roads are the worst I have seen in a while.

Associate
Rained on my car cleaning day (Sunday) so just gave the glass and mirrors a quick clean. Last time I cleaned the car in the rain I put a bin bag over the pressure washer but the rain was a bit too heavy this time. Sonax BSD beading still good after 3 weeks.

Soldato
I've just done a near-touchless wash. First time doing one using the little foam cannon which comes with a Karcher. Great fun and got most of the muck off. (Used chemical guys citrus wash &a gloss shampoo)

Then I used a mitt and small bucket of shampoo to wash the rear/front bumper and the glass, then pressure washed off. Considering how much motorway/country road driving I've been doing the past week it worked really well and it's pretty clean. The sides still have a layer of light dirt but still much better than it was before.

Overall quite good, will definitely tide me over till I can properly clean at the weekend.

Thug
Soldato
Car has never been washed by me. It came back from the dealer with a wash or whatever a month ago. Looked awesome.

Would love to clean it once right but looks easy to make things worse. :/

Or am i over thinking it?

Soldato
Car has never been washed by me. It came back from the dealer with a wash or whatever a month ago. Looked awesome.

Would love to clean it once right but looks easy to make things worse. :/

Or am i over thinking it?

Wut? Cleaning a car safely and properly is easy if you follow a few simple precautions. You're over thinking it, and likely the dealer did a pretty rubbish job with poor quality tools and products.

Rinse as much of the surface muck off as possible
Use a good quality car shampoo
Use a good quality mitt (either micro fibre or lambs wool)
Never mix you wheel bucket / tools with your bodywork bucket(s) / tools
Ideally use two buckets (one for soapy water, one for rinsing the mitt between dunks in the soap bucket)
Always keep the surface lubricated when washing and drying

Last edited:
Associate
So I've just picked up my new car and want to get some good quality cleaning gear to do it myself.

What shampoo, wheel cleaner, wax and sealant do I want to be looking at. I'm also going to buy a snowfoam lance for my Nilfisk, so what are the recommended products for that?

I'll have a read through this thread and see what others have said previously as well, but if anyone could give me a summary that would be cool too.

Also best places to buy from?

Soldato
Anyone here tried the Farcela Clay Mitt?
It seems like the worst of the winter weather is over now, so I was planning to give the car a good clean tomorrow if it's dry...wash, clay, polish and wax. Not a fan of claying as it takes so long, but I've heard nothing but good reports about this mitt, so I popped into Halfords and picked one up this morning, hoping to give it a try tomorrow.

I gather that it might not be quite as effective as real clay, but the few times I've done it on my car, there hasn't been much to come off the paint, so I'm hoping this mitt will do as a replacement.

Review on DW: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=330602

Soldato
The mitt gets rave reviews, I've got one waiting to try, certainly supposed to be 4 times quicker than a clay bar! Think the only failing is getting into small spaces for which you will need a clay bar but there aren't many places on the car this applies to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom