**** The Official Google Nexus 6P Thread ****

Associate
I doubt we will get it on the Nexus 6p without the app.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't Three need to put this stuffs in their firmware? So it'll only be available on the phones they sell?

Think you're right there. I had a vanilla 6P that didn't work on wi-fi calling, then an EE sourced one that did. Of course, that's for EE, but I'd imagine 3 would be the same.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just FYI, my 6P had been suffering from poor battery life (used to be 60-70% after work but dropped to 30-40%) and also would shut off at 30-40% too, I called Google and explained the issue and they've arranged a replacement to be sent to me. My phone was over 12 months old, bought Oct 15.

I dont know if it was triggered by some EU ruling about 24month warranties or them recognising an actual issue with the batteries but it only took a 10minute phone call. Obviously if you bought it from someone other than Google, you may not have such luck!

Associate
I doubt we will get it on the Nexus 6p without the app.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't Three need to put this stuffs in their firmware? So it'll only be available on the phones they sell?

If it helps at all, my 6P bought from Google works perfectly well for wifi calling on EE. OK, I know it's not 3, but it didn't need anything specific firmware wise from EE (as far as I know!)

Associate
My 6P, bought in September 2015, randomly rebooted Sunday night and went into a boot loop (Google on screen for a few seconds, then blank for a couple of seconds, then back to Google, rinse and repeat). I contacted support Monday without much hope, but after going through some simple bootloader tests (they wanted me to wipe the cache but it never got that far) they offered an RMA and replacement which arrived today. Despite being tempted by a Oneplus 3T I am actually really impressed with the support here as I have a brand new phone (battery life on the old one had begun to annoy me) and can wait for a few months for something better (and cheaper than the Pixel!).

Associate
I had the same (appalling battery life) with my old one. The new one has been off charge since around 9am and is at 84% .. much better, but I wonder how long it will be before it starts deteriorating again.

Soldato
I've had my 6p just over a year now, and honestly, I could easily keep it for another year. I usually have an upgrade itch well before a year is up, but this phone to me has been rock solid. I find battery life is brilliant too. Nothing out there is exiting me as an upgrade right now either, there's nothing much new out that is a great leap forward. The Pixel looks great but I can't justify the cost. It's also the first time in many years I have kept to a stock ROM, it's fast and does all I need as it is :) Great phone!

Soldato
I've had my 6p just over a year now, and honestly, I could easily keep it for another year. I usually have an upgrade itch well before a year is up, but this phone to me has been rock solid. I find battery life is brilliant too. Nothing out there is exiting me as an upgrade right now either, there's nothing much new out that is a great leap forward. The Pixel looks great but I can't justify the cost. It's also the first time in many years I have kept to a stock ROM, it's fast and does all I need as it is :) Great phone!
I'm quite happy with my 6P still. I did smash the screen by dropping it from about 2-3 inches above the surface and couldn't believe that happened. I went back to my Nexus 6 for a while but wanted the 6P back. I've been quoted £130 to repair the screen and I don't think I've got much chance of doing it myself as the 6P is apparently quite hard to dissemble and repair.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Samsung S8/S8+ but I'm wary of having a phone running a non-stock Android and waiting for Android updates. Since I had the HTC Magic/Sensations all my Android phones have been stock Android - Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and Nexus 6P so I'm liking the Pixel/Pixel XL but I'm hearing more and more about the 2nd generation Pixel/Pixel XL which might not be out until late autumn 2017 I don't see the point in buying the Pixel/Pixel XL now sim-free for nearly £1k and then splashing out for the 2nd generation in a little over 6-8 months so I think I'll wait to see what the new Samsung S8 range is like and what news there is of the 2nd generation Pixel/Pixel XL to make make my move later in the year.

Soldato
I'm happy with mine too. So happy that I even re bought it when my original 6p was stolen.

Caporegime
Kept my Nexus 4 for 3 years and I'll probably keep my 6P for just as long assuming whatever Google bring out this year is priced too high for me again. I'm happy with the camera, the battery lasts most of the week and it's still in fantastic condition bar a slight chip on the side. Google Assistant to look forward to in the next few weeks is a nice bonus as well.

Soldato
Unless I somehow damage mine (I'm good at looking after stuff) I can't see me upgrading for a good while. The camera is too good and I haven't had any issues for quite a while. It's been in the same Spigen Rugged Armour case that I bought shortly after it's launch without any damage.

Soldato
When I first got my 6P I wasn't overly impressed, coming from the N6. But as the months have gone on I have got used to it & now I've figured out how to get a custom rom, V4A & Android pay all working together like my N6. I cannot see me replacing it with anything this year.

Especially when phones are now upwards of £700+ for the models I'd be interested in.

Soldato
Got Google Assistant last night on my 6P with 7.1.1 (Set language to US and wait a bit) and it's working well so far. Going to set it up to control my Hue lighting later on. Quite impressed with the speed it fetches replies.

Edit: Controlling my house lighting perfectly so far! Bit of a headache to setup though since it uses the Hue web portal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can Google Assistant control Android TVs? I've got a Sony XD83, would be cool to tell my phone to play content on the TV.

edit: Looks like Google Assistant is coming to Android TV, so I wouldn't even need my phone!

Soldato
I've just arranged a repair with Vodafone for my 6P.

Phone was randomly rebooting, and today it decided to constantly bootloop. Can't boot into recovery, adb isn't working.

The only thing that's working is fastboot so I tried to reflash the stock image from Google, still bootloops :o

I guess the benefit of getting the 6P through Vodafone was that they're dealing with the RMA, not Huawei.

Back
Top Bottom