Project; Turbo GSXR Slingshot

Associate
OP
Not sure on piston weights actually, didn't compare standard to the 2 MTC ones but there's a good amount of extra material on them.

Head gasket should be here by the end of the month. Ordered from Performance Unlimited, Cometic make them to order and ship them out every fortnight. Could have possibly got it quicker but I've used these before and don't mind waiting.

Once the engine is back together I'll finish the headers off. Looking at getting a Tial Wastegate as well, pricey but I can spec a 12psi spring and not have any worries with boost controllers.

Associate
OP
Well Monday was build day but it didn't start until mid afternoon!

Got the head on and then spent forever dialing the cams in. The spacer under the barrels threw things out a bit and it took a bit of working out to get the cam sprockets right so the adjustment range worked ok.

Got the exhaust cam at 110.5 degrees which is spot on but the intake cam keeps falling 1-2 degrees out either way.

Left it for the night to re-check the degree wheel and exhaust cam in the morning then have another go at the intake cam.

Cams dialed in finally, the degree wheel had moved a touch so reset it and double checked it all once I'd finished.

Intake lobe centre is 108.25

Exhaust lobe centre is 110.5

Got a few other bits bolted on but hit a problem with the plenum, the o-ring seals are made of cord and have shrunk slightly so there's now a gap. Measured up and ordered some new ones, hopefully they'll fit.

Can get the headers back on though and finish them off.

Associate
OP
Exhaust is nearly done, main parts done and are now tacked up, just the wastegate to connect in.

Yes, its a terrible pic but the shed lighting is all wrong from this angle :p

Associate
OP
It comes off with a bit of room to spare.

Have to remove part of the exhaust on the other gsxr with an akra system so avoiding that on this bike.

Associate
OP
Finished welding the v-band clamp, thats the exhaust pretty much done. Need to decide on a wastegate, think I'll go for the v-band Tial as its only a few quid extra than the flanged Tial.

20170225_110811_zpsakbmf2yo.jpg

Plenum and turbo are fitted along with most of the wiring. Can't fit the rad yet as the headers will have to come off for welding the wastegate flange on.

Can sort out the breathers and look at making a catch can until the wastegate arrives.

Associate
OP
New Tial wastegate arrived, finally earnt enough money to justify buying this!

20170322_115722_zpsnslzp54t.jpg

Fits good and a fair bit smaller than the old one. Plus v-bands which everyone loves!

20170323_150716_zpsyvkxlzvv.jpg

20170323_150650_zps19r2ziqr.jpg

Associate
OP
Should be for the price....

Finished welding so its all ready for the final bolt up.

Picked up some mineral oil today but can't find the oil filter I bought, if I actually bought one, so I'll pick one up during the week along with some antifreeze too.

Then its only a bit of spannering away from the go button again.

Associate
OP
Thanks, hopefully I've found all the issues but I've still got some ecu settings to double check.

Headers and wastegate are bolted up, had new filter, fresh oil and I've spun it over to get some oil in the galleries and cooler.

Got to go back to work now so rad etc tomorrow

Associate
OP
Its alive!!!

Primed the fuel lines and it started 2nd push of the button, idled nicely with a steady .85 lambda, revs cleanly and coolant temps peaked at 70c after ~5mins.
Started straight away from hot too which is nice.

Few bits to tidy up then its dyno day.

Back
Top Bottom