Six Nations 2017 (4th February - 18 March)

Soldato
Six nations is all about winning ugly :p

Bonus points are a gimmick. England well below par today but result is a result and I felt the air of inevitability about us winning that I haven't felt for 14 years. We'll be on better form next week. All in all a great day for England's chances of winning the tournament, cheers Jocks!

Caporegime
OP
That referee was a freaking dork. Loved Dylan's comment of 'so when is it out then?'.

That was so random. He called the ball out of the ruck then said you can't jump on it as it's emerging from a ruck. It wasn't emerging, you called it out you bell end. I don't get that at all.

Still at least we scrapped our way past. They must be wondering how the hell they lost that game. I can't believe the French kicker failed to find touch with that last pen. Huge mistake.

Shows how much we rely on the All Black B team when the Vunipola bros are missing though!

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with the comments about the refs today. Some really odd and picky decisions. The new high tackle rule is a farce, I'm a short rugby player but I would still expect to tackle over the shoulder particularly when tackling from behind now and again.
Good day of rugby Scotland were sharp should be a good competition.

Associate
If you want to steal the ball when it comes out of the ruck, you have to stay on your feet - it's not often penalised but that's the rule. Also agree with May's yellow. You can't hold up a guys legs in the tackle any more, and the duty of care always lies with the tackler.

It was a good opening day, so let's hope for some more of that when wales see off italy tomorrow.

Caporegime
OP
Remi Lamerat (aka Keanu Reeves) was a hero yesterday by the way. What a player. Same goes for Spedding and Picamoles. Oh and Elliot Daly...player! HUGE penalty easily over and he just placed it and wacked it, none of this standing there gurning for half an hour first.

Italy Wales at 2pm then. Let's see if the Italians can build on their offering this year and become more competitive.

If you want to steal the ball when it comes out of the ruck, you have to stay on your feet - it's not often penalised but that's the rule.

So when can you jump on the ball then? At what point is the ball fully out of the ruck and in open play? When the ref says 'ball out' perhaps??:p

Last edited:
Associate
For the ball to be in the "emerging from the ruck" state it has to be out by definition. You can dive on the ball once it's away from the tackle area. Note that this rule is exclusively for balls that are out of the ruck. If it was still in the ruck, you wouldn't be able to play it either way.

Caporegime
For the ball to be in the "emerging from the ruck" state it has to be out by definition. You can dive on the ball once it's away from the tackle area. Note that this rule is exclusively for balls that are out of the ruck. If it was still in the ruck, you wouldn't be able to play it either way.

The point is though that it was clear. He'd also said it was clear. He made a very poor decision and tried to back pedal with the end result that he couldn't actually explain his decision.

Watching matches weekly though it's not unusual. There's something very wrong with refereeing in Rugby atm. What was nice was seeing players penalised for going off their feet and coming in from the side. Also offsides. Very refreshing.

Also...go on Italy!

Associate
Very frustrating watching Ireland. Just didn't give the Scots the respect they deserved which is odd given how close the recent Munster Glasgow game was.
First half the Scots defence was immense but we made it so so easy for them. Just flung it wide where sometimes the defence outnumbered the attack! Paddy Jackson played well but I don't think Sexton would have tolerated that.
2nd half forwards finally started doing what they were picked for and carried like demons but again some silly mistakes. Bowe had a howler of a cameo.

Scotland had about 6/7 scoring chances and took 5 of them. How often can you say that!? Played very well. They can't let teams go on with that kind of possession though or they'll be in trouble.

France playing well and I thought a little unlucky. The chap who complacently took that last minute penalty to touch and missed... unforgivable really!

Associate
Shame that Italy couldn't close that game out with the start they had and Parisse being on top form yet again. Inevitable Wales comeback in the end, if rugby games were 60 minutes long Italy would be a very strong side!

Soldato
If you want to steal the ball when it comes out of the ruck, you have to stay on your feet - it's not often penalised but that's the rule. Also agree with May's yellow. You can't hold up a guys legs in the tackle any more, and the duty of care always lies with the tackler.

It was a good opening day, so let's hope for some more of that when wales see off italy tomorrow.

Nathan Hughes had already cleanly cleared the ball away from the ruck area when Angus Gardner called "ball out" he spilled it backwards under tackle which Tom Wood (who in reality had a very poor game) had every right to dive on as it was now a new phase of play. Gardner will be questioned about that decision by World Rugby and told not to do it again ;)

Soldato
Eddie Jones is a Godlike genious, in fact I've written to the Queen to ask if she will adopt him and place him next in line for accession :D :D :D :D

Eddie Jones said:
“I’ve spoken to a number of people. There’s a certain story people like to paint when you’re playing Wales,” Jones said.

“If you get involved in painting that picture, you get involved in the painting. We don’t want to be involved in the painting, we want to paint our own picture.

“And the picture we paint isn’t going to be the picture that was painted in the past.”

Soldato
This year is going to be very interesting indeed after that opener. Scotland had no place beating Ireland, but that loss will put the fire back into the Irish squad for sure. Scotland might take another big scalp, but I think that's unlikely. Italy showed great heart for 50 minutes then capitulated, if they could put together a good 80 minutes they could pull a victory out of the hat. My main concern is the pressure on England with their winning run. They should really do the grand slam, everyone is expecting them to, but there have been some great victories over the southern hemisphere teams this autumn so it certainly won't be a walk in the park. England have some big injuries to contend with too.

England
Ireland
Wales
Scotland
France
Italy

England grand slam is contentious, but I think it will happen, especially with Haskell back and Jones on the warpath after the shaky start. France put in one hell of a show and I wonder if Wales will actually finish below France and potentially Scotland.

We're in for a great competition!

Soldato
Setroc;30472340 said:

Nigel Owes explained it quite well. There is a distinct state where the ball is 'emerging' from a ruck. You can't dive on the ball in this state. If the ball had stopped or hit another player, it would no longer have been emerging and Wood could have dived on it. As it was still bobbling (emerging) he was not entitled to.

It's not a rule I knew about when I was playing tbf :)

Caporegime
OP
mid_gen;30479858 said:
Nigel Owes explained it quite well. There is a distinct state where the ball is 'emerging' from a ruck. You can't dive on the ball in this state. If the ball had stopped or hit another player, it would no longer have been emerging and Wood could have dived on it. As it was still bobbling (emerging) he was not entitled to.

It's not a rule I knew about when I was playing tbf :)

...except it was perfectly still when it was dived upon.

Back
Top Bottom