Computer hangs after loading onto desktop

Associate
Hi guys,

Recently my machine has been hanging once desktop has loaded. Im on Windows 10 x64. Windows loads as normal, then non of my background applications such as EVGA Precision X, windows defender, mouse software etc load. The system just hangs when i try to carry out any task such is loading Chrome.

Apps do load eventually after 10 mins or so.

Windows is installed on a 840 Pro, its about 4 years old now i'm thinking its on its way out? Had i similar issue with an OCZ Vertex few years ago, that caused a similar issue.

Not sure if the SSD is still under warranty, i doubt it though?

Thanks

Soldato
If it's SSD problem it could be very slow SSD writes. I had a similar issue on a very old Kingston SSD where the computer became almost unusable as windows / apps were locked up waiting for the SSD to store data.

I would run a SSD bench such as Crystal DiskMark and check SSD write speeds.

Soldato
Set the memory to default 1600Mhz frequency and see what happens. I had some 2400Mhz DDR3 that worked fine at that frequency for two years then gave me issues (probably cpu mem controller or mobo) and now runs at 2133Mhz.

You can also install Samsung Magician and check drive status there, and do a performance test.

Associate
OP
Seems like this is back again, worse this time. I'm unable to do anything at all. Just hung on desktop waiting for apps to load, cant use anything, outlook, chrome etc.

Tried resetting memory to default, doesn't help but thanks. Unable to do any tests with magician software as cant even use my machine properly atm.

However when i tried to restart, windows 10 said it was trying to end task host manager and it just hung there trying to restart. Had to reset as per, not sure if this could be something?

Thanks

EDIT: windows took 20 minutes for apps to finally load and for me to have functionality, see attached screenshots of magician benchmark, let me know how this is for a 4 year old SSD.

http://imgur.com/a/2UhTl
http://imgur.com/WJceUJS

Last edited:
Associate
Rule out startup software, drivers, antivirus etc. by booting into safe mode. If the problem still exists it's probably hardware. If it doesn't then either clean install or disable startup software. It'd be easier to clean install then every time you install programs reboot and test.

My money is on antivirus or something killing you disk or CPU.

Back
Top Bottom