• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm just hoping for good old competition. That's what drives prices down. Seems silly striving for performance that's already here. I just want competition.

Soldato
Sadly I do not think we will get any interesting Vega info for another couple of months.

I do not know if it was said here, given how many irrelevant posts to the subject exist the last month or so, but the Vega chip showcased up to now playing Doom at 4K, is the small Vega chip for "mainstream" market, similar to GP104

Is not the the big one, which is similar to GP100.

And that came out from the guy who was at CES hence the video from the machines there....

Soldato
I do not know if it was said here, given how many irrelevant posts to the subject exist the last month or so, but the Vega chip showcased up to now playing Doom at 4K, is the small Vega chip for "mainstream" market, similar to GP104

And that came out from the guy who was at CES hence the video from the machines there....

This is really good news if true as everyone, including AdoredTV, assumed that the Doom demo was using big Vega. It seems that AMD could be more competitive than we all thought.

Man of Honour

I don't believe that is true - AMD clarified that the ids for "small" and "big" variants of the process aren't that but timeline identifiers and that small Vega process currently (as in as of December) wasn't developed enough for working samples while big Vega was. That isn't to say what they are demoing is the full spec variant of that.

That it was small Vega seems to be an assumption by the person in the video possibly due to using Polaris details as a guide for which was which.

Associate
This is really good news if true as everyone, including AdoredTV, assumed that the Doom demo was using big Vega. It seems that AMD could be more competitive than we all thought.

I would love for this to be true. I mean, if this is truly small VEGA (running like a 1080, in a sealed enclosure, with Fiji drivers) then we're looking at something revolutionary for AMD.

Of course, I still prefer to err on the cautious side and say that it's bogus and that I'll believe it when I see it.

But damn, if this is true, the Vega reveal should be like this:

PC playing Doom in 4K, at 60FPS. Box is shown on video wall, side panel removed, zoomed onto the card which has duct tape around the connector. Raja walks onto the stage, approaches the PC, and peels off the tape obstructing our view of the power connector: he thus reveals that in fact, the 8pin has 2 wires grounded and it's actually acting as a 6-pin! He then utters the words 'ladies and gentlemen, this is our 150w small Vega'. Mic drop. Walks off the stage.

Now that's some serious AMD fanboi fantasy right there.

Soldato
Well, the 480 does everything I want it for now. Plenty of time left until a Vega's needed. Maybe once I get a 4K TV or something. Still, I don't really expect it to top Nvidia's offerings, just match it perhaps.

Soldato
By the time Vega comes out Trump will have been and gone :)...and Nvidia will be on their £1,0000,000 Godzilla X top end.
Come on FFS. No a fan of AMD stuff but heck even I want to see some new products on the market rather than the same old AMD stuff or their lower performing cards.

Associate
By the time Vega comes out Trump will have been and gone :)...and Nvidia will be on their £1,0000,000 Godzilla X top end.
Come on FFS. No a fan of AMD stuff but heck even I want to see some new products on the market rather than the same old AMD stuff or their lower performing cards.

well Ryzen is coming out early March, so we will soon see some accurate leaks come mid feb, as AMD starts shipping to stores and parteners.
thats no GPU but still something new.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

This is what I would have thought too, but at the same time you never know with AMD. I am still sticking with my original prediction I made when this thread got started though :)

Soldato
This is what I would have thought too, but at the same time you never know with AMD. I am still sticking with my original prediction I made when this thread got started though :)

True.

Also I am more intrigued about the tech coming with Vega, which looks like it can make any 2 core card operate as a single entity, sharing VRAM and the rest of the resources.

But as you said. With AMD we can never know, and has everything well under wraps.
If it was an NV card, the full specs could have been "leaked" months ago.

Soldato
I really believe that if "big" Vega was no/little quicker than a 1080 it would be a massive disappointment.

Even AMD themselves in their ve.ga promo video sort of called out Volta. They'll look ridiculous if they can't even beat Pascal properly with that in mind.

Man of Honour
True.

Also I am more intrigued about the tech coming with Vega, which looks like it can make any 2 core card operate as a single entity, sharing VRAM and the rest of the resources.

Can't really see it - even with HBM2 you'd still have a lot of issues with latency when trying to access data in VRAM on the other core to the one that needs it.

The way going forward really is to get devs to properly employ explicit multi-adapter in their engine/game design from the ground up.

Soldato
Hope its true, Launch is still a long way off tho :(

Think of like this. We know what that chip can do now, in the six months between it's demo and launch there's time for GF to improve the 14nm process which will boost clocks and reduce power draw and time AMD to really nail the drivers.

If AMD can get those initial Vega clocks up to the 1400/1500 level then AMD will have product that can truly compete with Nvidia's best offerings but as always never underestimate AMD's ability to disappoint.

Associate
Same old, same old. It's hard to get excited about AMD maybe releasing a GPU before Q3 to compete with Nvidia's year old card. I wish ATI hadn't been bought out by AMD all those years ag. Barring the HD 4000/5000 series (which I think were probably taped out by ATI?) AMD's graphics division has been playing catch-up and second fiddle.
[/moan]

Permabanned

That put a smile on my face too.

4m 30s Doom was running on little Vega.

:D:):D:):D

EDIT: I hope that doesn't mean big Vega will release later and we'll only get little Vega in Q2, or even worse that they're not planning on using big Vega for gaming this year, or even worse the guy in the vid is full of it ......

From what he said AMD are now suggesting it may be a Q3 release (5m 40s)

Last edited:
Soldato
Same old, same old. It's hard to get excited about AMD maybe releasing a GPU before Q3 to compete with Nvidia's year old card. I wish ATI hadn't been bought out by AMD all those years ag. Barring the HD 4000/5000 series (which I think were probably taped out by ATI?) AMD's graphics division has been playing catch-up and second fiddle.
[/moan]
That really isn't true though, is it? Both the 7000 series and 290(X) were fantastic cards that competed well with Nvidia's offerings and have ultimately far surpassed them with the passage of time. Anybody who bought a 290X a few years ago is still enjoying performance that matches or exceeds the 480 and 1060. Hawaii has a strong claim for being one of the best GPUs ever made, despite its power demands. Shame the reference cooler was so appalling and tarnished its image out of the gate.

It was only with Maxwell in late 2014 where Nvidia really pulled away from AMD. The Fury cards weren't bad, but held back in a number of ways, from an anaemic back end to a bare minimum of VRAM to ridiculous form factors (I know I certainly don't want an AIO, and that's the only way to get the full experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom