Mountain Biking

Soldato
Ah ok fair one...
file_zpsluixn7bx.jpg

Associate
Well...was back at Cannock Chase with my brother today (he's just picked up a Trek Remedy 9 second hand from the manager of the local bike shop).

Morning session went well as we rode round Follow the Dog. Apart from missing about a mile or so of the trail as we missed one of the diversion sides and ended up trying to ride up an even stepper and longer hill than the correct long and steep one at the start :mad:

Stopped and had some lunch at the cafe, and then went back out with the intention of riding Follow the Dog and the Monkey Trail.

After we had rode the first part of the Dog and had got half way round the Monkey, me and my brother soon realised just how unfit we both were and ended up taking a short cut back via the A460 then Slitting Mill Road and then onto a firetrail road back to the carpark :( Gutted we missed the best parts of the Monkey towards the end of that trail though, but there's always next time.

All in we only did about 15 miles today, but by god we are both cream crackered! The climbs on the Monkey properly killed us both though, and the rock gardens (these almost had me twice) are an absolute killer when your knackered and have no strength or stamina left, especially on a hard tail.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They'll regret that when a news story of a child dying pops it.

I don't understand people. I don't go putting pedestrian traps in for idiots who walk their dogs on purpose built bike trails.

Soldato
Finally got round to putting the new wheels and Rotors on the Crush

Hope pro 4 Hubs on Stan Flows and Hope Rotors in orange :)

next on the list, new Bore caps (orange) and Orange reach adjust screws (Orange)

oU6L9xY.jpg

Associate
Had a bit of a disaster at Glentress on Sunday and managed to ruin my front tyre so needing a new set! Rim is fine thankfully.

Can anyone recommend a decent set that'll have good grip in mud? Bike is a Giant Trance 3!

Soldato
Had a bit of a disaster at Glentress on Sunday and managed to ruin my front tyre so needing a new set! Rim is fine thankfully.

Can anyone recommend a decent set that'll have good grip in mud? Bike is a Giant Trance 3!

I like a Continental Der Baron or Spesh Butcher front with a Spesh Purgatory grid rear.

If you want something lighter then try Maxxis Beavers.

Soldato
merlin;30467627 said:
I'm 5ft 8 so I went 27.5" - just seemed like I was the boss on the 27.5", felt in control, whereas on the 29er it seemed the bike was taking ME for a ride.
That's what's leading me towards the 27.5". I'm 5ft 7" & 75kg so not exactly going to be thrashing it. Control is more important (and what will let me down coming from the road!) than speed! :)
merlin;30467634 said:
Yeah there's a bike shop in Cheltenham or Gloucester I think that regularly throws up Scott and Mondraker bikes on PB at stupendous prices.
Any idea which one? Going to pick a bike up from Gloucester is certainly an option...! Saving any delivery costs! ;)

Soldato
Roady;30479990 said:
That's what's leading me towards the 27.5". I'm 5ft 7" & 75kg so not exactly going to be thrashing it. Control is more important (and what will let me down coming from the road!) than speed! :)
Any idea which one? Going to pick a bike up from Gloucester is certainly an option...! Saving any delivery costs! ;)

https://svc.bike/

Seems they don't do Mondraker any more, but they certainly do have a decent range so I doubt you'll be stuck for options. I've seen them sticking bikes on PB at whopping discounts (some shop soiled - as in just sat on, some brand spanking).

Caporegime
XT groupset still hasn't turned up. I stupidly binned my BB the other week thinking it'd be here last week. Phoned the LBS, 45Euro for a deore BB. WOW!

I refuse to pay that for a £10 part, so more waiting till I can ride. :/

Associate
Begbie;30481591 said:
XT groupset still hasn't turned up. I stupidly binned my BB the other week thinking it'd be here last week. Phoned the LBS, 45Euro for a deore BB. WOW!

I refuse to pay that for a £10 part, so more waiting till I can ride. :/

Letting us down Beggers :( Fingers crossed for a big delivery today.

I'm still waiting on 2 ChainReaction orders and a Wiggle order ;)

Associate
Begbie;30481663 said:
Ha good luck in that XC nonsense! :p

I'm waiting on so many, but then I'll have two bikes once they turn up :)

XC Race was good... I actually finished this time and Lucy (my bike) performed admirably :D Nothing broke this time even though I was convinced the second half of the loop was going to shred my tires (due to the masses of thorn bushes).

Definitely going to have to go TUBELESS for the next race :D

You likely to be attending the last race in the series? Its on home turf too ;)

Caporegime
Depends if I manage to get any post between now and then. Been nearly a month since I've been on a bike too. But if I can get time off work, I'd rather be there dying than in work :)

Back
Top Bottom