What have you done to your car today?

Don
Phemo;30480618 said:
2mpg is impressive :D What distance was that over?

that's what it usually averages if I just hammer it everywhere (fairly common occurrence), but it can be surprisingly economical for a 600hp car, way more economical than my hairdresser car which can only dream of doing 30mpg and has 200 less horses

Soldato
badgeruk;30480939 said:
Mines on 24 as well*over two years. I can see that dropping now it wont be used to go to work on the motor all that much anymore.

So that's 3 less then the 3.0 Z4 I had over*18 months. No bad for the extra performance.

23.9 here on the 3.0 :o:D 24.6 on my mazda 3:o

Soldato
Took it for a "free brake check" at Kwik Fit and kind of told me what I kind of already knew. I need new tyres and front pads and discs. MOT in a month so needs doing really. I wish I was good at doing things myself as Kwik Fit quoted over £300 for the brakes alone.

Associate
Liquid_Entity;30481192 said:
Took it for a "free brake check" at Kwik Fit and kind of told me what I kind of already knew. I need new tyres and front pads and discs. MOT in a month so needs doing really. I wish I was good at doing things myself as Kwik Fit quoted over £300 for the brakes alone.

Jesus Christ, what car is it?

Soldato
I was fleeced for brake discs and pads on my first car (94 Rover 214) at a Halfords Autocentre. I was only 18, had no mechanical skills and they definitely saw me coming.

I paid £240 for what was probably £30 parts and an hours (max) labour.

The only time my car goes near a garage now is for an MOT.

Do you have a friend or family member who can show you the basics? It can make all the difference.

Soldato
Acme;30480963 said:
I topped up the E30 again and I'm still averaging 24. Is it a BMW thing?

Do these have camshaft position and intake position sensors? My 330i was terrible on fuel for the sort of driving I did. Changing those made a big difference even though it never threw up any errors regarding them.

Associate
agw_01;30481217 said:
I was fleeced for brake discs and pads on my first car (94 Rover 214) at a Halfords Autocentre. I was only 18, had no mechanical skills and definitely they saw me coming.

I paid £240 for what was probably £30 parts and an hours (max) labour.

The only time my car goes near a garage now is for an MOT.

My brother went to one of these with his Fiat Punto for a basic service, which was bad enough but not a complete rip off. They then told him his exhaust back box was gone and 'about to fall off' apparently needed to be replaced at £200 (a £30 backbox and £4 rubber). Turned out the rubber was starting to slightly perish which cost £4.

How the hell they get away with this boggles my mind, it should be fraud imo.

Soldato
Exactly why I walked oit of there without paying. It was basically a free check to see what i needed to do.

Sadly I really don't know anyone who is a mechanic, everyone I know is in IT, mortgages or builders.

I have done basics before on my older cars like sparks, filters, oil but brakes and anything more under the hood is beyond me and my basix tools.

Soldato
Liquid_Entity;30481250 said:
Exactly why I walked oit of there without paying. It was basically a free check to see what i needed to do.

Sadly I really don't know anyone who is a mechanic, everyone I know is in IT, mortgages or builders.

I have done basics before on my older cars like sparks, filters, oil but brakes and anything more under the hood is beyond me and my basix tools.

brakes are very simple tbf! one of the first thing I did when I got my first car was put new discs and pads in.

Soldato
Liquid_Entity;30481250 said:
everyone I know is in IT, mortgages or builders.

That's no excuse :p Us IT bods can do more than press a few keys and click the mouse a few times you know.

Having a decent set of tools is half the battle. Something like a Halfords 170 piece socket set will soon pay for itself. Add a breaker bar and torque wrench and you'll be laughing.

Soldato
Vita;30481219 said:
Do these have camshaft position and intake position sensors? My 330i was terrible on fuel for the sort of driving I did. Changing those made a big difference even though it never threw up any errors regarding them.

Just crank position, coolant temp, throttle position and MAF, possibly oil temp (been a while since i had an M20B25). - http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Engine_Management#Sensors

It's a simple engine with rockers arms rather than direct contact with the valves as per modern engines. As you can see in this pic the cam is buried in the middle with it acting on the rocker arms which act on the valves...or not as per this pic.

Generally 24mpg is normal as I posted previously in the thread, mid 20s seems about right, driving sensibly on long drives then you'll see in the 30s. If it had a sensor issue he'd know about it from REALLY bad economy, bad idle and a very rich exhaust. Main issues to cause that though are the MAF (carbon track gets worn out) and rubbish / failed coolant temp sensors.

Back
Top Bottom