What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime
grudas;30481270 said:
brakes are very simple tbf! one of the first thing I did when I got my first car was put new discs and pads in.

My mechanic had a car in when I was chatting with him, the brakes were all stuck on because the owner replaced the brake fluid with ATF. :D

Soldato
agw_01;30481299 said:
Having a decent set of tools is half the battle. Something like a Halfords 170 piece socket set will soon pay for itself. Add a breaker bar and torque wrench and you'll be laughing.

I've got a halfords set but no jacks, etc. Only the standard jack. Plus I'd be worried I've not installed them properly. If I had someone with me who knew then it'd be different I guess.

Soldato
When my Polo failed it's MOT on front discs and pads they quoted me £240 quid to sort them and when I declined then asked me what I was going to do with the car, it was quite clear they wanted to offer me next to nothing for it to use in banger racing or something, told them I'd bring it back for a retest in a couple of days and sorted them myself for a total cost of around £40 and a couple of hours work (would have been less if ECP had sent me the correct pads...) if I remember correctly, it's scary just how much these places charge for such a simple job.

I'm seriously lacking in decent tools though, just have a few odds and ends that my brother and I have picked up over the years, have decided that now I have the Mini if anything goes wrong on it (fully expecting clutch/gearbox at some point lol) I'd rather buy the tools and fix it myself, will cost a similar amount initially I expect but I'll then have a fair toolkit for the future as well.

Soldato
Got back from 2 months working away, friend I trust has been looking after the car. Took it for a quick spin just to check it was all ok, only done a couple of miles since I last drove it so he has literally kept it ticking over which is all I wanted.

Was slowing down before a roundabout and got massive juddering from the front end, had a quick look at nearest petrol station and both front discs have got a massive lip on them, can't work out whether its that or maybe they're warped, which is unlikely as I left the car with the most trustworthy person I know and it hasn't even got the mileage to get them properly warm let alone hot.

Priced up a new set of front and rears as I might aswell do them in a one-er, cheapest I can find atm for stock options comes to £399!! Going to shop around when I've managed to get some sleep as I could really do without that outlay as I've just dropped 800 on some new shiney bits for it.

Obviously safety comes first but I'd rather not cancel my order unless I have to. And the bloody service is due. And Its still got its little oil leak. FFS.

Hope the Mrs. likes roundabout daffodils for valentines day.

Soldato
Not today as was unable to post on Sunday due to some odd ball mod in GPU section ... :D

I fitted a whiteline ARB to front of mazda 3 to try to fix a steering issue. It didn't fix it but my word the car doesn't roll anymore!
Better grip too which I thought was odd, I was expecting a little more oversteer.
Then again the old arb was bent so prob how it should be now

Man of Honour
Diagro;30481794 said:
Not today as was unable to post on Sunday due to some odd ball mod in GPU section ... :D

I fitted a whiteline ARB to front of mazda 3 to try to fix a steering issue. It didn't fix it but my word the car doesn't roll anymore!
Better grip too which I thought was odd, I was expecting a little more oversteer.
Then again the old arb was bent so prob how it should be now

Stiffer front ARB will generally increase understeer

Soldato
had my new tyres fitted..

had to interrupt the fitter and tell him that 225's go on the front and 255's on the rear..

he was like "but the rims are the same width??" to which I had to correct him again and explain that rears are wider which is why you need to fit the wider tyre to the rear and the 225 to the front..

at the end it all worked out but still amusing.

Soldato
grudas;30482965 said:
had my new tyres fitted..

had to interrupt the fitter and tell him that 225's go on the front and 255's on the rear..

he was like "but the rims are the same width??" to which I had to correct him again and explain that rears are wider which is why you need to fit the wider tyre to the rear and the 225 to the front..

at the end it all worked out but still amusing.
Where on earth did you take it?!

Soldato
Cleisthenes;30482993 said:
Where on earth did you take it?!

ATS Euromaster!

it was some junior guy, a more senior joined him later and told him exactly what I did :D I'm not too fussed but It's still a bit odd that a customer has to correct it.. imagine if it was a blonde in an slk with 255's on the front and 225's on the rear :o

Soldato
grudas;30483237 said:
ATS Euromaster!

it was some junior guy, a more senior joined him later and told him exactly what I did :D I'm not too fussed but It's still a bit odd that a customer has to correct it.. imagine if it was a blonde in an slk with 255's on the front and 225's on the rear :o
Or even a tart in a Z4.

:o

Associate
Rtn_Download_File.png

Changed an ignition coil.

Back
Top Bottom