• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
TaKeN;30483900 said:
Windows 10 just forced an Nvidia driver update today. Not impressed!

Noticed this too. I thought my monitor had started to play up when I saw the screen flicker. Then I found out Windows had installed 3D Vision software that I don't need...

Associate
TaKeN;30483900 said:
Windows 10 just forced an Nvidia driver update today. Not impressed!

Just checked mine and the same has happened. Both my screens went black last night and I thought the drivers had crashed or something. :mad:

Associate
yeah it actually messed up all my control panel global settings, can't even remember what i used to have some of them as! just a quick question what do you guys have Antianalising - Gamam correction set to on or off? I think i can remember pretty much everything else. Thanks.

Soldato
the real question is why haven't you disabled driver updates is beyond me!

To access this option, open the Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button and selecting Control Panel. Navigate to System and Security > System > Advanced system settings. Click the Hardware tab, click Device Installation Settings, and select the “No, let me choose what to do option. Select “Never install driver software from Windows Update.”

Associate
smogsy;30485668 said:

To access this option, open the Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button and selecting Control Panel. Navigate to System and Security > System > Advanced system settings. Click the Hardware tab, click Device Installation Settings, and select the “No, let me choose what to do option. Select “Never install driver software from Windows Update.”

That didn't prevent the update for me. This method used to work on my Windows build updated to 1607, but I've recently fresh installed and the behaviour and even the wording of that option has changed it seems. I've now gone back to a previous image and used the Update Troubleshooting tool to block the driver.

Associate
smogsy;30485668 said:

people who have disabled driver updates are still getting the update, perhaps you need to do proper research before commenting!

Man of Honour
smogsy;30485668 said:

Because that option has changed (several months ago) read the description carefully. It no longer stops automatic driver updates all it does is control whether you just get the core driver or the driver + support software/utilities installed.

(For some reason some people who selected the option before its functionality changed still get the old behaviour - so maybe the old option exists as a separate registry key somewhere or something)

The sooner MS fire whoever is being obstinate about automatic updates and drivers in 10 the better for everyone.

Soldato
Rroff;30485756 said:
Because that option has changed (several months ago) read the description carefully. It no longer stops automatic driver updates all it does is control whether you just get the core driver or the driver + support software/utilities installed.

(For some reason some people who selected the option before its functionality changed still get the old behaviour - so maybe the old option exists as a separate registry key somewhere or something)

The sooner MS fire whoever is being obstinate about automatic updates and drivers in 10 the better for everyone.

ive done that on 60+ machines with various different install dates with no issue, but if your still seeng it force it via GP

you can do it via group policy also

To enable or disable automatic searching of Windows Update by using Group Policy
Open Group Policy Management Editor.
In the navigation pane, open Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication settings.
In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Update device driver searching.
Do one of the following:
To turn off searching Windows Update, click Enabled.

To allow searching Windows Update, click Disabled.

Click OK to save your settings.

Associate
^ Thanks Smogsy, I'll try that too. For those that are unaware though there's no local group policy manager on Home editions of Windows 10.

Disabling the option in system properties always worked for me until I clean installed with build 1607. It's interesting that Windows behaviour can differ between settings inherited from earlier builds and a clean install. For example note that disabling automatic updates via Group Policy no longer results in the Update page in Settings stating "Some options are managed by your organisation" as it did with earlier builds.

Back
Top Bottom