What damage am I looking at?

Associate
wedrum;30492160 said:
looks like caliper to me.
should not be failing so soon though.

My money is on this as well.

Had a front fail, similar outcome.

New pads + caliper + fluid. Still judders a bit under very heavy breaking after 3 years, but oh well :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

OK so after the surprise of a Ford dealership contacting me at 11pm last night on Facebook (incredible service), I decided to pay their service manager a visit this morning.

The garage in question is Burns Ford Congleton, a family run business since 1918:-
http://www.burnsgarages.co.uk/

Anyway got there, surprised that its actually quite a large garage, plenty of parking.

I met with Chris who is service manager I think, anyway irrelevant of his rank its the first time I visited a Ford dealership and got the impression they really cared, which makes a refreshing change.

I explained to him what happened and how due to previous disasters of warranty claims I no longer wanted to deal with Bristol Street who simply did not seem to give a damn about me or the car, just another number.

He came outside and had a look at the rear disc and said that has seen some heat for sure, he checked on the Ford database and said they can also service my car using my free service pack Ford gave me for my last troubles.

Expecting to be told I could not be fitted in for weeks, he said bring it Tuesday morning, we shall do the service and get in touch with Ford technical about the rear brake issue and will push for:-
- Pair of rear brake disc
- Pair of brake pads
- New rear caliper

I forgot to mention wheel bearing but I shall mention that Tuesday see what they say, car drove fine today, cannot sense any vibration and brakes seem to be working, of course would they perform on a race track or repeated 100+ stops, who knows.

Still initial impressions are very good of Burns Ford, lets see how things go with the service and warranty work.

Picture of the disc after this mornings drive:

brakescom.png

So it clear to see the culprit, but in fairness it looks no worse than the fronts which see a lot more heat anyway due to them doing most the work, so I don't necessarily feel huge damage has happened but of course peace of mind I want the parts changed out.

If warranty fails 666mac the hoonigan with the bright yellow 800HP monster has said I can have his rear pads, disc and calipers as he has now converted to the GT 350 brake setup all round. :)

Lets see how things go Tuesday, but worse outcome at least I found somewhere far more local to do servicing and future repairs.

Also another Mustang owner sang praises of them to me last week, but I just thought my service pack was locked into one dealer, thankfully it is not so I no longer have to put up with Bristol Street poor service and well people who do not seem to care.

Guess that is the difference between a big franchise of dealerships who are just 9-5 jobbers compared to a family owned business that is approaching 100 years old. :)

Soldato
Great to see you have a good experience with a franchised dealer! It's really telling that even though they might not be able to deliver on the warranty front, you still got the impression they cared and that the genuinely wanted to help. A lot of people understand if things don't go their way, as long as they feel that someone genuinely tried their best for them. It's all about attitude and in my experience, the more customers *any* business have, the less helpful/warm they become - like you said - you just become a number and there is no incentive to help if they have so many customers that they are booking 2 weeks in advance.

Anyway, realistically that disc probably got up to 500-600c, which when you stopped, probably got even hotter on the portion of the disc in contact with the pad and melted some of the pad to it. It may clear up on it's own, it may not and give you judder in the next couple of months.

OcUK Staff
OP
Gaygle;30493573 said:
Great to see you have a good experience with a franchised dealer! It's really telling that even though they might not be able to deliver on the warranty front, you still got the impression they cared and that the genuinely wanted to help. A lot of people understand if things don't go their way, as long as they feel that someone genuinely tried their best for them. It's all about attitude and in my experience, the more customers *any* business have, the less helpful/warm they become - like you said - you just become a number and there is no incentive to help if they have so many customers that they are booking 2 weeks in advance.

Anyway, realistically that disc probably got up to 500-600c, which when you stopped, probably got even hotter on the portion of the disc in contact with the pad and melted some of the pad to it. It may clear up on it's own, it may not and give you judder in the next couple of months.

Yes if you look closely you can see more deposits on the offending disc and how its burnt the paint off the edge so it has a redder / rusty look to it.

My mates who races cars say he suspects only damage will be glazed pads and maybe fluid, reckons disc will be fine as it did not get to the stage of smoke pouring out things are likely ok, but if they will exchange the entire rear braking setup them let them do it and have all new in the back end. :)

Caporegime
Gibbo;30493528 said:
Hi there

OK so after the surprise of a Ford dealership contacting me at 11pm last night on Facebook (incredible service), I decided to pay their service manager a visit this morning.

The garage in question is Burns Ford Congleton, a family run business since 1918:-
http://www.burnsgarages.co.uk/

Great bunch of people, you should be well looked after, my other half knows the family since her parents purchased the Burns family mansion off them 20 years ago :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Firestar_3x;30493601 said:
Great bunch of people, you should be well looked after, my other half knows the family since her parents purchased the Burns family mansion off them 20 years ago :)

Well that is good to know, feel free to tell her to let them know about me and how important my car is haha. :D

Hopefully they will sort, at least found somewhere good to do the servicing as well.

Also asked them about ordering Mustang, they said they are not allowed to sell them, but they can sort it for me as they order via another dealership who delivers to them, which they have done for a few of their customers now.

So if I decide to get an MY18 gonna order it via those guys, service is everything and they just seem to care but even better really got the sense they were all car fanatics too. :)

Associate
The smaller dealers always give better service as they don't get the volume of the big dealers and are usually family-owned so each customer is very important. sadly like the small dealer I worked at years go, many are closing down.
I travel for an hour to a small dealer even though there is a large one 5 mins from work, the service is that bad at the large dealer.
A mate bought his RS through them last year, I think it came via one of the larger dealers but better to put the business through the smaller place as soon these will all dry up and we'll be left with the faceless large dealerships who don't care as much. The small dealer is the only Mountune Pro dealer in Scotland too.

Hope you get the outcome you're after Gibbo, wheel bearing should be ok, it used to be the case on older cars with less-well sealed bearings that the hot grease would run out, but I'd bet it'll be ok, the best test without stripping it is to smell for burnt grease around the bearing or look for any grease but I'm sure it'll be fine.

OcUK Staff
OP
All serviced today.

The dealership got Ford to confirm warranty will replace:-
- Pair rear pads
- Pair rear disc
- Rear caliper
- Fluid change

Wheel bearing checks out OK, no smell or noise, it is logged and if it shows any future signs will be replaced.
They said the caliper is the reason and is at fault and cleaned it up to get me by but said it will happen again so try to limit use until the above is done.

Parts are out of stock so dealership is going to see if Germany has stock and get expressed over to hopefully get it all done next week before the big Mustang meet I have arranged. :)

Soldato
All serviced today.

The dealership got Ford to confirm warranty will replace:-
- Pair rear pads
- Pair rear disc
- Rear caliper
- Fluid change

Wheel bearing checks out OK, no smell or noise, it is logged and if it shows any future signs will be replaced.
They said the caliper is the reason and is at fault and cleaned it up to get me by but said it will happen again so try to limit use until the above is done.

Parts are out of stock so dealership is going to see if Germany has stock and get expressed over to hopefully get it all done next week before the big Mustang meet I have arranged. :)

I'm glad it's looking positive. Burns are a great garage, I recommended them when you had the issues with something else (was it the oil cooler?). My family bought two cars from them last year after Bristol Street in Crewe showed the usual signs of being cowboys when enquiring about a Focus. Our Focus had actually gone to Burns' for a service this morning!

Hope it all works out for you.

OcUK Staff
OP
Indeed, somewhat of a tease clearly lost !

I'm surprised you haven't done a big brake upgrade considering your power plans. Is that now all on hold in case you move to a new car -the auto next year ?

Why would I upgrade the brakes? The stock setup is hugely powerful, you are aware the front has 380mm disc with 6 pot brembo disc and I think the pads of DS2500 or similar. Had no issues with stoppin and people who put them on track duty have no issues either, the brakes are more than adequate. At Silverstone they were fine, no signs of fade. :)

Even if I kept it and jumped to 800HP, the top speed is still 170mph from which it can stop fine from, I'd never try it in 6th gear unless on an airfield and going for 200+ at which point brakes will still work.

Quite a few guys in UK with 700+ now and brakes are not a weak part, one guy is doing the Shelby GT 350 setup but purely for looks, not performance.

P.S. My only plans were two-piece disc but again not for braking performance but for looks and because it save 5kg per each front disc and 2-3kg of each rear disc.

Back
Top Bottom