Assassination of Kim Jong Nam

Soldato
OP
It was either his younger brother (don't know how likely this is, but could have been due to him speaking out against the regime or the paranoia of his brother)

or it was another party (someone could have wanted to scare him over the missile fiasco, or spread propoganda against him but his reps pretty crap as it is)

unless he was involved with drugs or the mafia/triads which could open up another possibility.

i personally cant think of a reason his half brother would assassinate him, he had nothing to gain from it. was he leeching of north korea?

Well he was known to be 'westernised' within NK so i guess disgruntled people might look to him for hope as the successor of Un?

As for being involved in organised crime, he was under too much surveillance to get away with anything like that. He pretty much just visited red light districts and stuff and was pretty open about it. China was paying for his life of debauchery and that came at the price of his freedom and privacy as well as whatever he had on NK, which i imagine is not all that much.

I doubt anyone but NK or China was involved as assasinating him doesnt really mean anything to Kim Jong Un.

My money is on Un given he had his uncles killed when he was paranoid that the people of NK may place more faith in them. While his uncle could have been planning something, he was a significant asset to Un being a senior military general (if i recall correctly) and it was a risky move considering he had just taken power and was unproven as a leader.

That said, its pretty hard to try and put reason and logic to the delusional and paranoid.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Jongs all look like characters from Thunderbirds! How bizarre.

Anyway, this was talked about at length on Radio 4 today, and I can see why the general consensus is that it was Un and his people that masterminded the assassination. Nam had a history with his father, and because he was western educated, and later on fell out with Jong Il, he was in exile mostly keeping himself to himself. Apparently he lived as a wealthy businessman who liked to spend time gambling.

I guess regime protection no matter what is the motto with Un and crew.

Soldato
They didnt want to world to know, which is why they demanded the body back and investigation be stopped. Unfortunately for the fat man, he can't tell other countries what to do.

With Litvineko, they most likely thought it was untracable or doctors wouldn't even think about checking for radioactive substances. But now they have, the radioactive trail leads straight back to Russia and the people that did it will still have it's radioactive signature on them.

Last edited:
Associate
My totally plucked out of the air hypothesis is Kim was worried having a sibling outside his control meant that if external parties (mostly Chinese, possible US) thought he was getting totally out of control they'd be able to disappear him and put in his brother. As a living heir of the dynasty it would cause the least upheaval. Now he's gone they can't without tearing the country in 2 (or would that be 3?).

Soldato
Could simply be Nam called Un a name in past like fat boy, could be more sophisticated however. Who knows what goes on in these people's minds.

Caporegime
My totally plucked out of the air hypothesis is Kim was worried having a sibling outside his control meant that if external parties (mostly Chinese, possible US) thought he was getting totally out of control they'd be able to disappear him and put in his brother. As a living heir of the dynasty it would cause the least upheaval. Now he's gone they can't without tearing the country in 2 (or would that be 3?).
Except I'm pretty sure he had the opportunity many moons ago and turned it down hence the effectively self-imposed exile.

Caporegime
They didnt want to world to know, which is why they demanded the body back and investigation be stopped. Unfortunately for the fat man, he can't tell other countries what to do.

With Litvineko, they most likely thought it was untracable or doctors wouldn't even think about checking for radioactive substances. But now they have, the radioactive trail leads straight back to Russia and the people that did it will still have it's radioactive signature on them.

You think that Russia... a relatively advanced nuclear repository of knowledge thought that radiation was untraceable?

Come on.

Back
Top Bottom