Pewdiepie racism

Soldato
His rise to fame is a sad reflection of the burgeoning generation of kids brought up wholly online who clearly worship his antics.

Soldato
So a 2~3 minute window was wasted on pap like this in the 10pm news!? Surely they could have covered something more important when adults, not kids, are watching the news? This is the 10 o'clock news we are talking about, not blooming newsround ffs.

Associate
It's just another case of someone who has attained some form of fame and gone straight to their head, also money makes people think and do strange things and he's certainly made enough money from youtube advertisers. I've only watched a few of his vids and least he gained nothing from my views as adblockers (as far as I know) don't generate money for the channel owner. Lastly I find his content awful anyway.

Caporegime
It's just another case of someone who has attained some form of fame and gone straight to their head, also money makes people think and do strange things and he's certainly made enough money from youtube advertisers. I've only watched a few of his vids and least he gained nothing from my views as adblockers (as far as I know) don't generate money for the channel owner. Lastly I find his content awful anyway.

He lives in Brighton... I don't think he cares that much about money other than him being able to live off of it, he was making $14 million a year at one point...

Soldato
People shouldn't need PC to tell them how to behave. I find it completely divisive in that it just reinforces differences when actually we should be ignoring differences and working toward a common goal.

They do need to be told how to behave. Just look at a forum that lacks moderation, we have a tendency to devolve into a jungle society when unsupervised.

Man of Honour
They do need to be told how to behave. Just look at a forum that lacks moderation, we have a tendency to devolve into a jungle society when unsupervised.

Indeed, although I'd state it differently from "They do need to be told how to behave". With moderation in place the majority probably self check what they are thinking/typing, "does this fit with common decency?" or something along those lines. We all have reputations to uphold, everything we post is first and foremost peer-reviewed and if out of line/abrasive, which happens quite frequently from some members, moderation has to be applied.

On the whole moderation only has to be applied to those who skip the self checking before they post, on the other hand some just like to be constantly abrasive.

Caporegime
I'd heard of him but not looked at anything he'd done so off I went. Ten recent videos later and suitably enlightened...

I would seriously hope that I'm not the only one on here that thinks that it's not funny, clever or even well done at all. It seems mostly based on puerile, irrelevant comment and reactions to other people's vids. Is this just meant for the teenager of today? If so and even then, apart from being a very sad state of affairs for a 30 something guy to be doing this, at best it feels like he's regressed in some way to be at their level and seemingly the lowest common denominator at that (give them what they want and not what they should be getting mentality), to at worst feeling like there's an element of grooming going on. If he was 50 something and doing the same stuff how would others feel about it then?

If this was the only guy on the internet when back when I was a teenager I simply wouldn't be watching him at all. The mind boggles quite frankly.

Caporegime
Yes it is for the teenager of today, and he is a 20 something guy. I'm really not a fan of most of the new rubbish he is churning out, but the old game playthroughs he used to do were entertaining. The odd video here and there is still OK if you are chronically bored I guess.

First videos of his I watched were the Amnesia Dark Descent playthrough videos. :)

Associate
I've seen a couple of his videos and they're not for me. For gaming videos i prefer Centrestrain01. Not as many games played but he plays them thoroughly and loves the stealth games.

Caporegime
Is this just meant for the teenager of today? If so and even then, apart from being a very sad state of affairs for a 30 something guy to be doing this, at best it feels like he's regressed in some way to be at their level and seemingly the lowest common denominator at that

Thing is that sort of thing isn't exactly uncommon, especially in the IT world. We had a support guy like that at work, nice enough guy, but in his early thirties and still acted more like a teenager - was quite a relaxed company so plenty of us would wear jeans and t-shirts in the office however this bloke's desk was covered in all sorts of crap - stickers, little toy figures etc.. had a minor obsession with Japanese culture etc.. Most of what he'd post on Facebook was meme/internet culture related.

Caporegime
Yes it is for the teenager of today, and he is a 20 something guy. I'm really not a fan of most of the new rubbish he is churning out, but the old game playthroughs he used to do were entertaining. The odd video here and there is still OK if you are chronically bored I guess.

First videos of his I watched were the Amnesia Dark Descent playthrough videos. :)

I see he's 27 now, so a grown man regardless. He's obviously got his finger on some sort of pulse and if there's no unsavoury element to him then good luck to him. I guess coming from the previous generation to him that I hoped someone with his sort of clout might occasionally think to instil some thoughts that his audience could ponder over or get their grey cells working on occasionally.

Thing is that sort of thing isn't exactly uncommon, especially in the IT world. We had a support guy like that at work, nice enough guy, but in his early thirties and still acted more like a teenager - was quite a relaxed company so plenty of us would wear jeans and t-shirts in the office however this bloke's desk was covered in all sorts of crap - stickers, little toy figures etc.. had a minor obsession with Japanese culture etc.. Most of what he'd post on Facebook was meme/internet culture related.

I had 25+ years in IT and while I saw many people similar to the one you mention in my time, not a single one of them of them could have been anything other than the person they were. This guy seems an exceptionally rare case - able to judge what people ten years younger than him want out there and yet not be too oddball to put them off.

Regardless of what he may or may not be, he'd never get an invite to baby sit any of my kids ;)

Soldato
Did you just draw the conclusion that because kids like his content, he must somehow like kids?

He obviously plays his personality up tot he camera to illicit reaction but i dont think he is all that weird. Just seems like a normal 20 something year old that never had to get a proper job and deal with the normal responsabilities and so didnt grow up. I wouldnt hate on him for it though..

Caporegime
Did you just draw the conclusion that because kids like his content, he must somehow like kids?

He obviously plays his personality up tot he camera to illicit reaction but i dont think he is all that weird. Just seems like a normal 20 something year old that never had to get a proper job and deal with the normal responsabilities and so didnt grow up. I wouldnt hate on him for it though..

For me I take it.

They're simply my own thoughts on watching 10 of his vids as a 50 something adult and no, I seriously doubt he likes kids in the way you think I'm suggesting at all - that was a little flippant on my part there. I guess he's simply too weird for me - as you say he's trying to Illicit a reaction...but from kids and teens, when you're an adult!?

For me it's this 'ability' to seemingly have the mindset of a 15, 16, 17 year old and enjoy being that and actually care what this age group actually think or care about that I think is odd. Add to this that behind all the baloney there's obviously a very astute 27 year old who'd probably be a good craic down the pub equally.

He's simply too much of a conundrum for me regardless of the content he puts out I guess.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
For me I take it.

They're simply my own thoughts on watching 10 of his vids as a 50 something adult and no, I seriously doubt he likes kids in the way you think I'm suggesting at all - that was a little flippant on my part there. I guess he's simply too weird for me - as you say he's trying to Illicit a reaction...but from kids and teens, when you're an adult!?

For me it's this 'ability' to seemingly have the mindset of a 15, 16, 17 year old and enjoy being that and actually care what this age group actually think or care about that I think is odd. Add to this that behind all the baloney there's obviously a very astute 27 year old who'd probably be a good craic down the pub equally.

He's simply too much of a conundrum for me regardless of the content he puts out I guess.

What is that like today versus the 90's?

Back
Top Bottom