• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** MORE 8 PACK PRE-BINNED CPU's AVAILABLE UPTO 5.2GHz!! **

Associate
I dunno this whole binning thing kinda puts me off. Especially when its £900 for the 5.2's that's just ridiculous. (Yes I know some people will cough up)

Am I right in assuming that all Intel CPUs are checked on arrival and the good overclockers are binned?

That would mean then that if I were to buy the bulk standard non-binned version it would be guaranteed to be a crap overclocker! ? !

Kinda sucks if you ask me....

Soldato
Perfect CPU's for those gaming with high refresh rate monitors or in VR where you are often CPU bound (single thread). Must hold out a little longer.
Can you actually point me to any games that are cpu bound and not gpu bound where a dog chip at 4.8ghz is going to perform worse than a golden chip at 5.0-5.1ghz.

Surely these are only for benchers because even a dog chip 7700k won't hold back your GPU.

As for paying a premium for a dog chip (4.8ghz) well I'd rather take my luck in the retail. I did and got 5.1 without a delid!

OcUK Staff
NOT THIS GUFF AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY OEM SYSTEM ASSIGNED STOCK IS TESTED SO NOTHING YOU CAN BUY FROM THE FRIGGIN WEB SHOP HAS BEEN PRE TESTED OR BINNED UNLESS IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
£900 quad core. Do the people that buy these get a free medical check as part of the package? :D

Still, it's good of ocuk to offer binned chips that are delidded with warranty.

Soldato

ONLY OEM SYSTEM ASSIGNED STOCK IS TESTED SO NOTHING YOU CAN BUY FROM THE FRIGGIN WEB SHOP HAS BEEN PRE TESTED OR BINNED UNLESS IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What I meant (and upon re reading my post I still feel I was perfectly clear) was rather than buy a pre binned oem chip one can buy a retail chip (which yes we know aren't binned and are unopened) and still be in with a very high chance of getting 5ghz.

4.8 being a dead cert given it's a paltry 300mhz over stock. I'm afraid your jumping to a conclusion that simply isn't there.

Associate
Supply and demand. If customers want a 5.2Ghz CPU, and are willing to pay £900 for that CPU, they will sell. It doesn't have to make sense to most of us, they will sell.

For most of us the premium is not worth paying. I guess most of these CPUs will achieve 4.8Ghz, which will be more than enough performance for the majority of applications.

If anyone still believes that buying an OEM CPU could mean buying one that's been tested and "rejected", spend an extra tenner on a retail boxed one. It won't have been tested by the retailer, and you get an extra 2 years warranty.

OcUK Staff
OP
What I meant (and upon re reading my post I still feel I was perfectly clear) was rather than buy a pre binned oem chip one can buy a retail chip (which yes we know aren't binned and are unopened) and still be in with a very high chance of getting 5ghz.

4.8 being a dead cert given it's a paltry 300mhz over stock. I'm afraid your jumping to a conclusion that simply isn't there.

4.7 - 85% do this (this is why we offer retail un-opened boxes guaranteed to this)
4.8 - 70% do this
5.0 - 30% do this
5.1 - 10% do this
5.2 - under 3% do this

We actually test them without de-lidding and above the advertised speeds with just 120mm AIO cooling. So the product you get will run cooler than how we tested it unless your using a rubbish air cooler, otherwise any AIO wil do and those on H20 should be able to get beyond what we advertise.

All the above is in reference to the 7700k and how we test which is rather stressful to the CPU to ensure its stability in a customer environment.

The 5.2 is very expensive with good reason, very few can do it and those who are benchmarking, want the best or are professional users trying to cut down on processing time find such processors in-valuable as it saves them big money on binning themselves or improves their efficiency and as such making them more money.

Associate
I dunno this whole binning thing kinda puts me off. Especially when its £900 for the 5.2's that's just ridiculous. (Yes I know some people will cough up)

Am I right in assuming that all Intel CPUs are checked on arrival and the good overclockers are binned?

That would mean then that if I were to buy the bulk standard non-binned version it would be guaranteed to be a crap overclocker! ? !

Kinda sucks if you ask me....

I think he was responding to the above :)

Associate

Ok thanks for clearing that up! ;) was just a thought.

Soldato

I can see why you don't work in the customer service department .
I know it's been said before but if people haven't read through pages and pages on the other thread then they aren't to know. Lighten up man it's Friday.

Curious to know what kind of business relies on single threaded performance these days. Assuming they use non proprietary software of course.

Soldato
I can see why you don't work in the customer service department .
I know it's been said before but if people haven't read through pages and pages on the other thread then they aren't to know. Lighten up man it's Friday.

Curious to know what kind of business relies on single threaded performance these days. Assuming they use non proprietary software of course.

Maybe because the same question is asked over and over again, maybe to clear things up if 'binned cpu's' are here to stay at OCUK then perhaps a sticky should be made explainning.

Not sure everyone here realises the volume of CPU's that OCUK sell, do you really think they have the time and manpower to go through the binning process with every OEM cpu.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe because the same question is asked over and over again, maybe to clear things up if 'binned cpu's' are here to stay at OCUK then perhaps a sticky should be made explainning.

Not sure everyone her realises the volume of CPU's that OCUK sell, do you really think they have the time and manpower to go through the binning process with every OEM cpu.

If they did, there would probably be some utter gems in there...instead they get wasted on the goons worried they're missing a trick. :p

Soldato
Also to add,
With all the media that has surrounded kabylake i would imagine most purchasers of said chip would expect them to OC to 5ghz and beyond, so they take delivery of there blazing fast 4c8t monster and it only does 4.8ghz 24/7 stable, what do some do, probably DSR or something which in turn can drive prices up etc if abused. This is just a nice way of ocuk offering a gauranteed chip with warranty, whats not to like?? Yeah the price gets a bit steep on the 5.2ghz but the options there for some and as Gibbo has pointed out these are very rare.

Associate
A lot of money compared to a stock chip, however if you think of it like cars, you can buy a new car for £20k that will do 155mph, to get to 180mph there is a big jump in price and to get to 200mph is a huge leap in £. There is however a market for all. AMD binning the ryzen chips for the 1800x v the 1700x is according to the price leaks a big bump in £ for little mhz gain.

Back
Top Bottom