*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I thought that these APs had built in protection against 48v.

I've certainly had non IT staff trying to connect them up to wrong ports. Not had any die.

Edit, maybe it's just the 48v ubiquiti bricks that don't fry them..

If it was 48v passive, rather than af/at then the over voltage protection has been used. The older APs have a diode that burns out to protect the rest of the components, no doubt these are the same. I've avoided passive and 24v PoE professionally and personally where possible to avoid such issues. It's easily done as you often can't see both ends at the same time!

Associate
Looking for some advice, i currently have Virgin 200mb internet connection, the hub is in modem mode, and i use my ASUS RT-AC66U router with Merlin firmware, have had this setup for a few years, but over recent months ive noticed the router is requiring to be restarted at least 1/2 times a week.

So im looking at replacing it, Im assuming getting a Edgerouter X and the AC AP Pro, should cover all my basis, i have 3 devices which are wired, SmartTV, Home Server, and Printer, all other devices are wireless.

Soldato
Looking for some advice, i currently have Virgin 200mb internet connection, the hub is in modem mode, and i use my ASUS RT-AC66U router with Merlin firmware, have had this setup for a few years, but over recent months ive noticed the router is requiring to be restarted at least 1/2 times a week.

So im looking at replacing it, Im assuming getting a Edgerouter X and the AC AP Pro, should cover all my basis, i have 3 devices which are wired, SmartTV, Home Server, and Printer, all other devices are wireless.

Do you need 3x3 that the Pro provides? If not you might better off getting the the Lite, that way you can use the POE pass through of the ER-X and use the POE injector that comes with the Lite to power both devices.

I don't need special network cables for PoE do I? I've been testing with CAT6 patch cables which I, possibly naively, thought would be fine

According the iFixit guide posted above if the AP has a power fault the injector LED will flash.

"This guide outlines steps needed to repair an Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Lite (model UAP-AC-LITE) access point which does not power on, and is identified by the PoE injector has having a power fault. (Blinking white on the PoE injector.)"
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Ubiquiti+UniFi+AP+AC+Lite+TVS+Diode+Replacement/73360

Associate
Do you need 3x3 that the Pro provides? If not you might better off getting the the Lite, that way you can use the POE pass through of the ER-X and use the POE injector that comes with the Lite to power both devices.

That could a option, im just researching at this point, but its seems perfectly viable, i have a browse and read about for another couple of days and then bite the bullet and set them up and see how it goes, i mean worst comes to worst i can always change kit out.

Associate
I thought that these APs had built in protection against 48v.

We have killed a few AC LR's at work by accidentally plugging them into POE switches. Also we had one of the dodgy UniFi switches that fried one too. The newer revisions of the AC-LR and AC-LITE have inbuilt protection.

Soldato
They went back yesterday, the supplier confirmed today they are dead. They're replacing them with AP-AC-Pro which is quite a bit more money, but I know they'll work with the switch.

Basucally, don't plug a Lite or LR into anything other than a Ubiquiti switch and you'll be fine I reckon.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped.

Soldato
That's quite an understanding supplier you use - no quibbles about the damage? Impressive.

Everything was bought as a package on their advice. Someone made a mistake. They either thought the LR was 48V or possibly that it was the newer model LR that supports AF PoE or they should have told me to ensure the switch was set to P if that's the correct 24V passive mode. I reckon it's 48V passive but as there is no mention of it in the manual, I just don't know.

There was absolutely no issue swapping them out. No need for me to get a CCJ against them, unlike one supplier I could name on these forums.

Soldato
It's a known issue that Ubiquiti have acknowledged -> https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...with-UniFi-Switch-on-PoE/m-p/1771809#U1771809

Good that the supplier has dealt with it well though, not all do.

I'm not a big customer of theirs, I consistently spend around £500/year with them. This was my single biggest order I've ever placed with them. 8 IP cameras, an NVR, two 8tb hard drives for the NVR, a 48 port Gigabit PoE switch, Security Gateway, cloud key, 3 wireless access points (now 5) and a 2U rack mounted NAS with 8 4tb hard drives. Everything else worked very well and I'm looking forward to getting the cloud key up and running with the USG and access points.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Everything was bought as a package on their advice. Someone made a mistake. They either thought the LR was 48V or possibly that it was the newer model LR that supports AF PoE or they should have told me to ensure the switch was set to P if that's the correct 24V passive mode. I reckon it's 48V passive but as there is no mention of it in the manual, I just don't know.

There was absolutely no issue swapping them out. No need for me to get a CCJ against them, unlike one supplier I could name on these forums.

Nice. It's service like that which keeps me going back to the same sources time and time again. Good to hear they accepted responsibility.

Caporegime
right if i was looking for a full setup am i better off with this

USG
Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway
£103
+

US-8-60W
Ubiquiti UniFi Switch, 8-Port, 4x PoE Out, 60W
£127
+

UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti UniFi AP, AC PRO
£124

or

ERPoe-5
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE 24VDC 2.5A Power Adapter
£150

+

UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti UniFi AP, AC PRO
£124

Difference between them is £75 and fancy graphs or something. Unsure which would provide the best performance

Soldato
I went for the 8 port 150W PoE Ubiquiti switches because I wanted to power my AC-LR's by PoE without using the injector but if I had the AC-PRO I would have stuck with my TP-Link PoE jobbie which did the job just fine.

The fancy graphs are nice enough but I very rarely look at time.

I don't know if it's the same on the US-8-60W switches but using the Unifi controller the management you have of the switches isn't amazing. Want to admin down a switch port? Tough, you can't.

Caporegime
You don't need the Pro APs. More Lites is better than a single Pro, if you are desperate for throughput then use a cable.

Obviously I have assumed a home install due to the quantities involved.

Caporegime
So what do you think I should buy?

You don't need the Pro APs. More Lites is better than a single Pro, if you are desperate for throughput then use a cable.

Obviously I have assumed a home install due to the quantities involved.

I was going to get 1 Pro then in future another if I felt it was inadequate or to increase range by putting them at opposite sides of the house. The Pro also has more bandwith and more antennas. Just thought it would be worth buying over the lite because it's more powerful.

However it is just for home use I imagine it is overkill but no idea tbh.

Or you could get a ER-X and use a injector with the Pro or get a Lite and power both devices with the injector that comes with the AP.

My plan in the future is to possibly add IP cameras for CCTV so I could do with at least 4 x POE ports. or in future I could buy a 4 port POE switch and then plug that into the router?

Also is the ER-X fast enough for a 300MB Virgin Media connection?

Do you really need a managed switch? You can get an 8 port unmanaged with 4x POE for £50.

I have no idea tbh, probably not. Thought it might be beneficial for QoS however tbh its now only me that really uses the internet but currently whenever I want to game I turn my torrenting machine off. Then when I stop gaming I turn it back on again. I just thought with QoS I could keep on torrenting whilst gaming.

Back
Top Bottom