Do I disable Turbo Boost?

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just finished installing my new motherboard, into the new case. So far so good..

How long do I let the new thermal paste "bed in" for as it was reapplied when swapping boards?

Also can I disable "turbo boost" in the BIOS and run my overclock at a set frequency?

Soldato
OP
Also to add guys, if I get a stable OC over tonight, leave it running a few days to make sure all is well, can I format and put a fresh install of W10 on and will all my OC settings from the BIOS remain the same??

Soldato
OP
hey guys,

just been set my new OC.

I went to only affect turbo boost, from 3.8ghz to 4.2ghz. (only after a mild oc) on my AIO peak temps at low 70's and a V core of 1.235v.

Will monitor for a few days and then reinstall windows 10 and should be jamming :)

Soldato
Hey guys,
Just finished installing my new motherboard, into the new case. So far so good..
How long do I let the new thermal paste "bed in" for as it was reapplied when swapping boards?
Also can I disable "turbo boost" in the BIOS and run my overclock at a set frequency?

You can disable it yes

Also to add guys, if I get a stable OC over tonight, leave it running a few days to make sure all is well, can I format and put a fresh install of W10 on and will all my OC settings from the BIOS remain the same??

If you're happy with your overclock, just use the PC for what you normally do - no point in stress testing it. As for installing Windows, this will have no effect on the overclock.

hey guys,
just been set my new OC.
I went to only affect turbo boost, from 3.8ghz to 4.2ghz. (only after a mild oc) on my AIO peak temps at low 70's and a V core of 1.235v.
Will monitor for a few days and then reinstall windows 10 and should be jamming :)

Sounds good...temps aren't bad and that's a nice voltage.

Soldato
OP
hey snips,

thanks for the input mate, am I right in saying that if I can stress test so far stable, that gaming will not put as much "stress" :) on the CPU as say, intel burn or prime95 etc?

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

I started BF1 and after around 10 minutes it crashed. I have changed some setting and testing in Prime95 but even after changing the chip to 4.0ghz on boost at a voltage of 1.245v it still is "hardware failure detected" on one of the cores?

Should I go back to stock or what can I try to make it stable as possible, I noticed my temps going through the roof before crashing, could that be the culprit for BF1 also? :mad:

Associate
It sounds like your overclock is not stable,

If you are getting ANY sort of error in Prime 95, then it deff isnt right, Prime I find stable sometimes but will still in crash in games due to the extra stress etc.
Have you tried BF1 at stock, could it be the pc is unstable anyway?

You need a base line to work from before you can tweak really.

Soldato
OP
It sounds like your overclock is not stable,

If you are getting ANY sort of error in Prime 95, then it deff isnt right, Prime I find stable sometimes but will still in crash in games due to the extra stress etc.
Have you tried BF1 at stock, could it be the pc is unstable anyway?

You need a base line to work from before you can tweak really.
Yeah, I will try upping the voltage a little more as I'm still a long way off the 1.3v limit. And yeah it's rock solid at stock, played for hours w

Associate
You can disable it yes

If you're happy with your overclock, just use the PC for what you normally do - no point in stress testing it. As for installing Windows, this will have no effect on the overclock.

Sounds good...temps aren't bad and that's a nice voltage.

Not sure about this, if it's potentially not 100% stable surely you're asking for trouble/possible corruption of windows etc.

I'd always make sure the OC is 100%, personally.

Soldato
It's a new motherboard, so why not load optimised defaults and run it for a while to prove the system is stable at stock?

I also agree with just using the PC as normal for testing. Prime 95 etc. Is a waste of time IMO.

Soldato
I would not be running the CPU at full speed always, it will use power unnecessary and strain CPU in long term.

Both power-saving and turbo boost are implemented so well likely won't humanly see any improvement in speed anyway.

I'm happy to stand corrected on above if i'm wrong however.

Soldato
I also agree with just using the PC as normal for testing. Prime 95 etc. Is a waste of time IMO.

I feel the opposite, but I guess it depends what you are doing?

For example... I like to play arma 3. I know 100% that if a machine is IBT stable then ARMA 3 will never crash.

If I used the game to stress test the OC it could be 99% fine but then there will be something in arma when all hell is going loose (which is not always happening in game) and boom, BSOD.

Now I've lost all my gear ( cry :p ) and I've let my team down in a crutial moment.

From experience it could take a week for that little thing that crashes the unstable OC to happen.

This to me is a waste of time when I could simply run IBT for 3 runs. I've never had an ARMA crash on any system that passes 3 runs on very high so I don't even let it run past that (again from experience) the send run especially seems to be the important one with arma, idk why.

So yeah.

Soldato
Not sure about this, if it's potentially not 100% stable surely you're asking for trouble/possible corruption of windows etc.
I'd always make sure the OC is 100%, personally.

Not really! The BSOD is just advising you that something is unstable. If it's overclock related, the codes will provide the reason. Corruption of windows isn't going to come into play here as nothing has 'changed', it's just crashed. I had a fair few BSODs when setting my overclock but never encountered issues with the OS. If it crashed, note the code, change the voltage/clock speed and try again.

Soldato
I feel the opposite, but I guess it depends what you are doing?

For example... I like to play arma 3. I know 100% that if a machine is IBT stable then ARMA 3 will never crash.

If I used the game to stress test the OC it could be 99% fine but then there will be something in arma when all hell is going loose (which is not always happening in game) and boom, BSOD.

Now I've lost all my gear ( cry :p ) and I've let my team down in a crutial moment.

From experience it could take a week for that little thing that crashes the unstable OC to happen.

This to me is a waste of time when I could simply run IBT for 3 runs. I've never had an ARMA crash on any system that passes 3 runs on very high so I don't even let it run past that (again from experience) the send run especially seems to be the important one with arma, idk why.

So yeah.

I'm not suggesting no stress test at all, I run a couple of Realbench benchmarks and after that just use the PC as normal.

I sit "stable" with my 5930k at [email protected]. the chances are that if I ran Prime95 for 24hrs then my system could crash after the 100th pass... But my system has worked perfectly for almost a year and I never play Prime95 so it's irrelevant.

Associate
Different things work for different people, I just think giving someone the advise of not bothering to stability test is not particularly helpful and could potentially cause them problems down the line

Soldato
Different things work for different people, I just think giving someone the advise of not bothering to stability test is not particularly helpful and could potentially cause them problems down the line

The advice wasn't to "not bother with stability test". The advice is to use the PC as normal as a means of stability test i.e. if you intend to encode then run some Handbrake, if you intend to game then run something demanding.

I've used this method for various systems with no issue, and I believe @8 Pack himself advises the same method.

Obviously, if you are overclocking to bench then it's different.

Back
Top Bottom