Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Well Done. Shoes can seem expensive, a lot of R&D goes into them. Remember running is cheaper than most other hobbies. It'll seem like hell at first but at somepoint it'll click and you'll start to enjoy it. This is normally after you;'ve achived something you've been working towards, for example 5km without stopping. Then you start wanting to see how fast or far you can go.

Again, I won't lie - it still feels like hell while I'm actually running, but I'm sure it'll get easier as my heart, lungs and legs get used to it. Totally agree about wanting to see how much I can push it in terms of distance and speed, but that's for the future - at the moment it's all about improving my stamina/fitness and enjoying the 'rush' you get afterwards :)

Caporegime
Starting to get a bit of pain on my shins, worried I'm going to get shin splints or something.

I've done 40% more miles this year than last year by Feb 14, but I am starting from what I'd hope is a far stronger base. Still, it's definitely taking its toll and I don't want to get injured 8 weeks out from my marathon.

make sure you have recovery days when needed, have cut-back weeks (about 60% of volume) every 4th week or so, ensure that easy runs are in fact easy (zone 2 Heart Rate, easy conversational pace), that 80-90% of your weekly miles are in the easy pace, and you alternate easy and hard days. Stretching out hard calf and quads in the evening will help you run with a better form. Can also check running form, shin splints is often a sign of a low cadence and heal strike. You can use their strava phone app for free to check running cadence, ideal is around 180, although 170-190 is fine. 200 is very safe but less efficient, 150 or so is not only more liekly to result in injuries but is also less efficient.

If you are doing all of that then cut out the hardest sessions, typically track/interval workouts. It can take a week to recover from a hard set of 800s etc. You could replace some of your outdoor running with time on an inclined treadmill - keep the effort level + heart rate the same as outdoors on the flat but since you are on an incline you will run slower reducing impacts, plus the TM has more absorption. If you still have pain cut any faster runs out completely (lactate threshold, goal Marathon pace LRs, fartleks, etc.) and run 20secs a mile slower than what you think easy pace should be. The elite marathons do plenty of their weekly volume at slower than 8:00 minute pace despite racing at sub-5:00 minute miles.

Associate
Wow, I have no idea how to get a cadence up around 180-200 (apart from losing about 8 stone!)

I am 17 stone and I can reasonably expect mine to be between 150 and 160 according to footpod data. Not having any issues with pain or anything so far :)

Caporegime
Wow, I have no idea how to get a cadence up around 180-200 (apart from losing about 8 stone!)

I am 17 stone and I can reasonably expect mine to be between 150 and 160 according to footpod data. Not having any issues with pain or anything so far :)
Cadence has nothing to do with weight, it purely down to how big your steps are. if you are heavier then it is even more important to keep your cadence high to reduce impact forces.

To run with a lower cadence requires both an increase in vertical displacement in order to increase travel time in the air, and an increase in lateral forces to propel yourself forwards further with each step. The combined increase in vertical and horizontal launch forces add more stress to joints, muscles and bones. Worse still, what goes up must come down, so every foot landing will experience increased impact forces due to the increased vertical oscillation necessary. Not only is that going to increase injury risks it is also less efficient since more energy is expelled in vertical movement and increased forces are required form your leg muscles. Ideally for recreational runners, you want to minimize vertical oscillation and have a high cadence. When you start running elite speeds under 5:30 a mile then for some athletes a change of gait is required to a lower cadence higher vertical oscillation form. If you aren't running 5:30 miles then you want to keep things as smooth and flat as possible with smaller stride lengths.

Next time go out and try taking smaller footsteps. it should be easier than than a lower cadence, but it might feel awkward to you until you get used to it.

Associate
Ok,

So, I am 6'2" and from what I can see, you are saying that my current stride length is probably too long. I need to increase the cadence by shortening the stride length and at the same time reduce how far off the ground my feet and/or body are travelling?

I didn't think i was "bouncing" (for want of a better word) but I will see what happens next time i am out.

Caporegime
Pretty much. Its fairly simple concept, if you take fewer but longer strides then forces are increased. Furthermore, if you have along stride then you are liekly to be hitting the ground with your heal instead of your forefoot

Also, to illustrate that cadence is not directly related to speed, I can run on the spot with 180 steps per minute and have zero velocity. It will feel awkward. running with a higher cadence may not feel natural but that isn't an indication that it is not a natural thing to do, it just takles time to get used to it. Don't fret too much over the details and getting exactly 180 (anywhere 170-190 is pretty similar), just understand the concepts that lower cadence implies higher forces and longer strides with more heal landing.

Man of Honour
Physio said it's pretty classic patellofemoral pain syndrome and I have a bunch of exercises to do for the next 2-3 weeks with no running. Could take longer for pain to subside. Woo. I think the marathon in April is incredibly unlikely.

On the bright side, no issues with me cycling so I can just do that tons now :p

Permabanned
Physio said it's pretty classic patellofemoral pain syndrome and I have a bunch of exercises to do for the next 2-3 weeks with no running. Could take longer for pain to subside. Woo. I think the marathon in April is incredibly unlikely.

On the bright side, no issues with me cycling so I can just do that tons now :p

If you do end up having to miss out on the marathon then it may be worth considering Chester in October. Resonably local and a decent course for a first marathon too.

I've decided against Manchester myself this year as I've lost my motivation for long distance running at the moment so going to concentrate on my cycling instead and run Chester and train over summer.

Man of Honour
If you do end up having to miss out on the marathon then it may be worth considering Chester in October. Resonably local and a decent course for a first marathon too.

I've decided against Manchester myself this year as I've lost my motivation for long distance running at the moment so going to concentrate on my cycling instead and run Chester and train over summer.

That sounds like it could be a good plan :)

If you want some company cycling sometime give me a shout btw. Plenty of fun local routes to suffer on :p

Associate
Again, I won't lie - it still feels like hell while I'm actually running, but I'm sure it'll get easier as my heart, lungs and legs get used to it. Totally agree about wanting to see how much I can push it in terms of distance and speed, but that's for the future - at the moment it's all about improving my stamina/fitness and enjoying the 'rush' you get afterwards :)

It doesn't get any easier, when you pushing on, you just go faster for longer :eek:

Associate
It doesn't get any easier, when you pushing on, you just go faster for longer :eek:
Absolutely, don't doubt that for a second - I should have probably said 'comparatively' easier. In my case meaning once I've attained a basic level of fitness where the prospect of being able to run for 15 minutes solid or more is easily do-able and not the stuff of dreams it is at the moment ...

Caporegime
Beast mode activated for a progressive LR: 23.3mi, 3:07:27, 8:02min/mile, 1,148ft. Started at 8:45 and worked down to 7:45, give or take depending on hills.

My running has been very strong recently, last week I topped 88 miles with a great 22Mile LR, a hilly trail run, and a track workout with 9x800m at 2:56-3:04 time. This week had a 16mile MLR, a lactate threshold run with 5Miles at 6:20 pace. will see how the weekend goes but probably looking at 95 miles for the week, cut back next week though.

Soldato
95 miles, that's obscene! My biggest week so far is 46.2mi and I doubt I'll do any weeks beyond 50mi before the marathon.

I did a quickish long run this morning as I'm paranoid I'm actually slower than last year despite increased volume. Happy enough with 13.6mi @ 6:34/mi although I doubt I could hold that pace over 26.2mi.

Caporegime
95 miles, that's obscene! My biggest week so far is 46.2mi and I doubt I'll do any weeks beyond 50mi before the marathon.

I did a quickish long run this morning as I'm paranoid I'm actually slower than last year despite increased volume. Happy enough with 13.6mi @ 6:34/mi although I doubt I could hold that pace over 26.2mi.

That is wicked fast for a training run. You have a lot of potential if you follow some good training plans. I know during training it can feel.like you are getting slower or it can be worrying how hard a LR feels at a slow pace. Don't worry it's normal, your true potential only comes once you have tapered properly, which for most people is at least 2 weeks. I go out on my LRs at 8:25 pace last year and by mile 18 would wonder how the heck I could do 26 at race pace, but then race day comes and I hit 6:52. Good marathon training will leave you with tried legs, don't worry about speed but sign up for a shorter race about 6 weeks out,taper a little for it and use that to guage a suitable goal pace.

Doing very fast LRs like you did is OK as an occasional time trial but if that is anything regular then there is the time culprit for your shin issues or other injuries. I highly recommend you read the book 80/20 running https://mattfitzgerald.org/8020training/

As for me and my millage, ended up hitting 100 miles for the week, a new PR. Weekend turned lovely, 20*C so i tacked on some extra slow miles. 100 is not easy to reach but I find 80 it pretty natural. 20 mile LR+ 15mile MLR and you are a good way there. I then have 1 quality run in the week, this week it was lactate threshold for 5 miles, but with warm up and cool down I end up at about 12 and as these.meant to be aged day I add on another 2-3 slowly at the end if I feel good. That was 13.5 this week. The rest of the runs are all shorter and slower, after a hard day typically about 8, or 6 in morning 4 in the evening. 1 of the days will be a slightly longer general aerobic f 10-12 miles.

This cycle I am pushing slightly more miles,in part for the marathon but mainly because I have an ultra coming up in the summer. Because of that I am pushing my LR to about 22-23 right now and instead of an easy 6 the next day I have used from 8-10 miles, yesterday 11, so I can get used to back to back LRs. In the summer I will end up with 30+20 double

Soldato
I'm loosely following a 12 week training plan and this week prescribed either a race or LR at MRP. I don't intend to do another long run at that pace until the actual marathon.

I'm going to gauge how my shin feels this week and maybe leave out the track session as that is the highest intensity.

What date is your marathon? With all the volume you're doing I'm sure you'll smash your PB easily.

Caporegime
Makes sense, most plans have either a race or some kind of time trial to help you estimate race pace. Put your numbers in to skate predictor to get an idea : http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...slate_s_marathon_time_predictor_a_better.html

Just be aware that small errors in pacing can really cost you in a marathon, unlike a 10k where you might just slow down a little in a marathon you might get reduced to a walk. So then it all becomes a gamble, you can be more aggressive but have higher risks of disappointment!

My marathon is at the end of April. A PB is likely, more interested in finding out if I will get a 2:57 or 2:54 type performance, a lot will depend on the weather. It may just be too hot. This is also a level where +-1 minute makes a noticeable difference.

You are racing Manchester right?

The next 3 weeks are likely pretty low volume but then I get about 4 weeks to build to another peak before tapering.

Associate
I'm paying the price for the lack of training over the winter :(

5.4mi, 8:27 /mi and avg 171bpm....better get back on it in earnest, my aim is to do 5 miles a day for the week but will be doing everything I can to lower that heart rate.

Soldato
Went out again today, i seem to only be going out about once every 2 weeks which is definately causing a lot of decreased performance that i'd built up in 2016.

Was devating signing up for the Manchester half in May but i just think of so many other things i'd rather spend £44 on!

Back
Top Bottom