Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
CF475

It's great. It's not tall enough to do overhead press (unless you're under 5'5") but it has full length catchers and is rated at over 350kg. Plus you can buy pulley accessories and so on.

5' 7.5" and still have a couple of inches left when doing OH work in my 475 although I have T-rex arms to go with my shortness.

A bench and a cable assembly will be my next purchase. But I'm doing okay for now for when I actually get the time to train (only about 3x a week at the moment).

CF820 rather than pulley accessories for your rack for sure!

Soldato
Anyone here got the CF475 Rack with the pulley and still got the instructions to put it together?

Mine got lost in the garage and we found them the other day but I think I might be missing a page and want to check! :)

Soldato
My home gym has taken shape so thought I'd stick a pic on here. It's not a patch on some of the gyms you guys have but it does for me! :D

AwCnLegl.jpg

I've got a finger board for climbing training mounted above the doorway but it's a bit high up so need to remount it elsewhere when I get a chance.

Soldato
Hi,

Seen on gumtree there is :

Olympic bar 7ft
Various weights up to 165kg ( power max ones )
Weight tree

All for £250. Is that a good price for the above, seems in pretty good condition.

Thanks,

Soldato
What's the general consensus on something like this? I know I could probably do it cheaper second hand but it's a bit more difficult living where I do. Is it expensive, low quailty etc?

Soldato
What's the general consensus on something like this? I know I could probably do it cheaper second hand but it's a bit more difficult living where I do. Is it expensive, low quailty etc?

That's the exact kit I've got - highly recommended! The rack is built to last and due to injury I've still not hit the top end of the weights yet!

My bar isn't brilliant as one end is harder to load weights on than the other, not sure why though.

Caporegime
OP
I train in my garage (full rack) and it does get cold, but once you warm up it's okay - but I'm thinking of perhaps putting a radiator in there (oil one) when it gets really bitter.

It's just the bar that potentially could rust but also gets bloody cold to hold onto!

Try living in Scotland.

I will need to do a full on conversion to the garage at some point. It's just too cold to do anything but cardio at times. Converting a garage costs pennies as most of the work has been done for you. All you need is a frame. Add insulation. Plasterboard. Level the floor (garages aren't built to the same spec). Put a window or door where the garage door was. It's a £5K job tops and you can do it yourself apart from fitting a window or patio doors, etc.

-3 degrees celcius today atm for instance. I'll probably need 2 large radiators too in there hooked up to the Gas CH.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I just need to make the garage slightly better insulated - but I want to increase its size slightly so not going to throw money at it. There are large gaps on the shutter that could do with being reduced. I've put a heater in there, and whilst it doesn't make the garage warm it takes the edge off.

I live in the countryside so pretty much the whole of winter is -C as soon as the sun sets.

Associate
I train in a garage as well, sometimes in temperatures below minus figures. I find that putting on a few layers and then removing as I start to work out, works as I start getting hot (sometimes even need to open the window) can remove layers as need be. The only thing I feel is absolutely essential are some gloves. I use cycle gloves as it's not fun gripping a freezing cold bar.

Soldato
Thinking of getting the CF470 half rack from powerhouse?

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf470-heavy-half-rack.php

Its going in spare bedroom and don't want the cage to overpower the room. It looks quite neat and has storage for weights. I understand the full cage is a bit more safe incase of falling forward.

Also the room is carpeted, will I need to get flooring? (if so can it be put onto the carpet?)

Opinions welcome :)

Cheers
SpLuFF

Associate
Thinking of getting the CF470 half rack from powerhouse?

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf470-heavy-half-rack.php

Its going in spare bedroom and don't want the cage to overpower the room. It looks quite neat and has storage for weights. I understand the full cage is a bit more safe incase of falling forward.

Also the room is carpeted, will I need to get flooring? (if so can it be put onto the carpet?)

Opinions welcome :)

Cheers
SpLuFF

Squat stands are more compact and can be put out of the way if necessary. Although if your set on the rack which looks okay, I would see if you could put down some plywood. I once had something similar in an upstairs room mounted on some rubber tiles which you could put on carpet if you wanted to. A few years later when moving, found that I had warped laminate flooring when dismantling it lol, and I wasn't lifting that heavy.

Associate
Two new additions to my home gym.

A GHD (Glute Ham Developer) and an interval timer / clock.

Ended up selling the power rack above in the end - got a decent price along with the bench.

So to replaced it I have been working with a local fabricator over the last month or so and today was delivery and build day and here is the final product:

2016-10-19%2012.19.09.jpg

As a competitive crossfitter and someone who does a fair bit of oly lifting these setups are like a wetdream!

I'd loved to have picked up up a set of the Klokov plates in the AF black friday sale but didnt have anywhere to store them at the time. Still have my eye on a set of the 25's they still have as sale stock

Moving into our new house towards the end of the month and will be converting the garage into a gym so seeing these setups in roughly the same space has me really excited.

I've already got an assault bike from wolverson, rogue pull up bar, bench, freestanding squat rack, 150kg of bumpers, along with a 24kg and 32kg dumbell. First additions will be GHD, Ski Erg and flooring.

@Mike1983 where is the flecked flooring from?

Associate
As a competitive crossfitter and someone who does a fair bit of oly lifting these setups are like a wetdream!

@Mike1983 where is the flecked flooring from?

Hi there

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late reply.

I got my flooring from Polymax. It's actually 2x layers of rubber. The first is a layer of 15mm thick rubber "underlay" glued to the concrete floor. The next layer is a 10mm thick layer of "Galaxy" fleck rubber. In the centre of the gym is a 25mm thick plywood panel at the same height as the rubber. This acts as a lifting platform with the ability to dump overhead loads / heavy deadlifts with no damage to the flooring.

** edit - flooring product links below **

https://www.polymax.co.uk/sports-underlay
https://www.polymax.co.uk/polymax-galaxy-1-25m-wide-x-10mm-thick-black-white

Note they do different thicknesses and colours
https://www.polymax.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Galaxy

Hope that helps and good luck with your project.

Mike

Permabanned
All of the pictures and setups in here are really impressive, but I just dont have the space to have even half of the equipment :( whats the feasibility of having a modest collection of weights/work out equipment at home and still noticing a solid health and fitness improvement from it? I'm literally clueless when it comes to the basic essentials of starting to work out at home, but i'm eager to learn so if anyone has any advice, that would be greatly appreciated :) thank you!

Back
Top Bottom