This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Well crap. Found out today that a trial of a huge advertising campaign goes live on Monday, thought I had another week to finish off migrating the sites. 2 hours to add a load of content to the old slow site now and re-schedule the migration until after the trial. At least I'll finally get some traffic data!

Associate
So I accepted a new job and have my contract to go through and sign this weekend and then hand my notice in on Monday. Mentioned to one of the directors I was going to tell the people who work for me I was leaving today as one of them is off next week and didn't want them finding out from someone esle but they asked me not to tell anyone, they don't want people to find out until they have recruited a replacement/the month before I leave. I've said ok but I will be really annoyed if it comes out from someone else.

Soldato
So I accepted a new job and have my contract to go through and sign this weekend and then hand my notice in on Monday. Mentioned to one of the directors I was going to tell the people who work for me I was leaving today as one of them is off next week and didn't want them finding out from someone esle but they asked me not to tell anyone, they don't want people to find out until they have recruited a replacement/the month before I leave. I've said ok but I will be really annoyed if it comes out from someone else.

I'd tell them anyway! It's better that they know from you, and then process it before they bring someone else it. Otherwise it will be "Daver is leaving, his replacement is Y" and they hate them before they even start!

Man of Honour
Does anybody ever get that "imposter syndrome" when starting a new job?

I've always felt a little bit of that, but I soon get over it - however sometimes it can be pretty chronic. I guess it is a little self doubt or the unknown of starting a new environment.

Just curious to hear other people's experiences. :)

Caporegime
I do wonder if sometimes 'imposter syndrome' is an excuse for people who really are in positions where they don't know what they're doing. I guess it depends on the position and whether a bad hire could in fact get away with being carried by others and survive through BS. I'd suspect that for highly technical positions 'imposter syndrome' is quite genuine and not uncommon when entering a new role with lots of smart technical colleagues, I'm sure in those sorts of cases it will tend to fade with time as you've mentioned. I think being in a role where you can't be carried and also having the 'imposter syndrome' fade after a while are probably good clues that it is genuine and down to natural self doubt in a new environment and not incompetence.

Man of Honour
Yeah I think so.

However I have spotted it in others where they look calm and collected but are actually way out of their depth but pull off being in that position and in control.

In my nearly 20 years of worked I've always felt anxious but then you realise that what you have is genuine expertise and it goes away. I think as you get older you start to believe in yourself more. Besides you can only blag a certain amount in an interview I'd guess!

Whilst the question was mildly rhetorical I know I have felt like an imposter in the past but have always succeeded - I say to myself that after all this time I can't have got away with it so many times if I didn't know what I was doing ! :p

Commissario
Had positive feedback from one interview on Thursday, but they have 2 candidates to interview still; no news on the other one yet (which I think is the one I'd prefer!)

Hopefully hear more news today

Caporegime
Had positive feedback from one interview on Thursday, but they have 2 candidates to interview still; no news on the other one yet (which I think is the one I'd prefer!)

Hopefully hear more news today
Fingers crossed for you mate :)

Last week at the airline for me. Was barely in last week to being ill (genuinely) - going to plod along with my headphones in and finish what I can. Boss is already trying to pressure me and I'm just ignoring him.

Underboss
Trying to figure out how to ask my big boss for temporary promotion pay.

My head of dept's job has been gapped since the start of the year and like it or not I have been covering it as I'm the only member of the dept.

I have all the forms online sorted, all the info down, have asked for 10mins of his time this week. Fingers crossed as I've covered the job well and have done all the leg work he'll grant it.

Wondering how to word it and more importantly how I can get him to authorise the back dated claims.

Associate
Starting to think the new job move was a bad one.
Coming from a job where I was overloaded with work to a job where I have now been for 3 months and they are yet to give me any work to do.

I'm struggling to cope with going from one extreme to the other.

Soldato
So far this year I'm on 5 demo's 4 pilots... it's then converting pilots to contract... so give me a couple of months and we'll be able to know more :p haha

Do you define some success criteria for the pilots that once proven, they'll go on to purchase? Just asking because I've seen pilots done in all sorts of ways before some really successful, some less so.

Soldato
OP
Yea, it's hard also though, as 30 days really isn't enough time to make the best out of a system that is data driven, due to sample sizing etc, but I'm hoping it's enough to get them to want to use it more and then go on to purchase. As we're "new" and the tech is pretty new, we're very flexible in our sales process, but when we're rolled out a lot more and our brand is well known in this area, we can afford to be less so and very much you want it, pay for it. These 23296364 people are, so...
A lot of hand holding through the pilot phase though, and with a fair number about to kick off, it'll be hectic managing all of that, but we we see how it goes.

Soldato
Starting to think the new job move was a bad one.
Coming from a job where I was overloaded with work to a job where I have now been for 3 months and they are yet to give me any work to do.

I'm struggling to cope with going from one extreme to the other.

have you asked them for work? First thing I'd be doing, "Boss, I'm bored, give me something to do!" or maybe it's a probation thing?

Commissario
fingers crossed for you dude!

Hate that part. Hope it all goes the way you'd like! Fingers crossed!

Well had feedback for one and was rejected, I was essentially up against someone much more senior so never really stood a chance. Still waiting on feedback from the other one, although they're interviewing one more person tomorrow and I'm also in touch with BigT from here about a role.

Caporegime
Well had feedback for one and was rejected, I was essentially up against someone much more senior so never really stood a chance. Still waiting on feedback from the other one, although they're interviewing one more person tomorrow and I'm also in touch with BigT from here about a role.
I always take the opportunity to treat these instances as a learning experience. At least you heard feedback. Which is way more than I what I got back in some instances.

Best of luck for the next one. :)

Soldato
OP
Still a gutter though, no one likes any sort of rejection. On to the next one!

I'm supposed to be on holiday at the moment skiing, but I'm currently working. I pulled my back out anyway, and can't currently walk properly, so skiing is probably out the question.

I met with a potential last night for a CFO with us, as we really need to get someone to look after all of that side of things, I hate it. He was really good. I really got on with him and he had a great understanding of us and our business. I'm going to put together something to see if we can take him on as a part time CFO, if the rest of the board agree. (They normally just go along with me, which is annoying, I like a debate!)
Meeting a guy today about a data scientist role, see what he's like. On paper he looks fantastic, but you never know in reality what that means...

Also, if anyone fancies working their arse off in their spare time for a stake in our amazing business: https://angel.co/emotuit/jobs/215037-senior-software-engineer

Profile:
Ruby/Rails, AngularJS, Javascript, Webpack, Git, RSpec, Karma, Jasmine

And usual stuffs.

Need more people, too much work, not enough folk.

Back
Top Bottom