*** Official Nioh (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
OP
Gonna go for just a build that allows me to maintain A speed (so at best light armour) with loads of points in ninja/magic just to see how good they are. Mainly using a sword and that rather awesome blade on a rope thing. May change the sword at some point though only once Ive got a lot of the new skills unlocked...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
I believe PvP is in the pipeline but I've not read any official announcements.

If you've no interest in PvP you can level each stat equally as far as you want, then you can dabble in everything.

Unsure if you can make multiple characters on this as I'd like to make a few and specialize in certain attributes.

Soldato
Wrapped up all available side missions and started the 3rd makn mission last night, raining one!

Game makes me want a Pro, runs fine but could look better!

ReLly getting into the combat now, unlocked the sneak backstab attack. Not quite the backstab from souls but its something!

Also crafted a set of gear with set bonuses. I dont really understand the gear just yet, but this one combined came in under 30% so i can fast roll but looks a bit naff! But its not forever. Cant remember the name of the set now!

Soldato
Game makes me want a Pro, runs fine but could look better!
It's the main reason I went ahead and got a Pro and a KS7000, it's lovely.

I was thinking the same but tbh I would wind up making myself worry too much about it, there's no right choice for a first playthrough imo! Just pick maybe which moveset you prefer and stick with that?

I was debating restarting after the first mission but pushed on and have grown quite fond of the normal swords for now and like you say can always respec later!

But I totally understand why you are restarting, it can be frustrating going in to something blind but that's the best thing about playing these games near release, we can all talk about it on a similar level!

Yea' that's a fair one mate, I guess as there isn't a PvP meta at the moment it doesn't matter so much. I'm just going to go ahead and play through I think, maybe have a few chars and go two main stats sort of thing.

Soldato
Any Dark Souls fans? is this any better than Dark Souls then? Getting some insane ratings....
Not an easy one to answer unfortunatly, i dont think they really compare as closely as originally thought.

It shares similarities in combat style, to and extent, and how you level up weapon scaling etc.

But other than that this seems to have its own pros to differentiate it enough from souls to feel like its own thing. Combat is deeper, seems more skill based with timing required to recover stamina after an attack

Loads of depth beyond that, points to spend on unlocking combos/ moves. Then even more types of points to put in to a diablo style paragon system, if you are familiar?

One thing lacking in this for me compared to souls are the massive epic looking backdrops and scale to the level design. These here are fine but feel a little more grounded in reality than souls. Also this is mission based, so do a mission, return to a map/menu screen to move on to the next one or visit the black smith etc whereas souls flow as one more open world in a way, though not as much in recent iterations.

Im not too far in but so far its addictive and has that same want to get good as the souls game provided, this may even be more difficult. Not so much in the basic enemies but the bosses etc are truely quite challenging. I found souls became too formulaic for me after playing them all the difficulty wasnt there at all

Associate
Re: Dark Souls, The similarities are glaringly obvious but there's enough difference to set it aside as a unique experience rather than a DS clone/reskin. If it had a PVP mode I'd be inclined to say it's better than DS. The combat is faster, deeper and feels more skill based.

I'm just going in to the fourth area out of five and when I'm not playing the game I'm thinking about playing it. Some of the bosses are brutal and others are straight forward. Cracking game that I just can't put down.

Edit: realised that I pretty much said the same as the above, doh!

Last edited:
Soldato
Haven't played this game in a few days due to work. Just beat the second boss, a lot of fun again and I honestly found her quite hard. I've realised that I need to guard a lot more too as it really helped with the difficultly of the fight. One thing I have noticed is the health pool on bosses in particular are huge. I'm finding this game harder than any souls game I've played because you have to maintain focus a lot longer than in those games for the most part and you still die in 2-3 hits from bosses.

Associate
Oh my, what a game.

I've put some serious hours in to this over the last two days and got my first run, as an axe wielding maniac, done. It appears there's a glitch which overwrites your original save if you create another character so I guess I'll have to keep on trucking through NG+.

On another note it's impossible to wear a full set of the heavier sets of 'heavy armour' and still keep under 70% equip load, so I'm rolling with one of the lighter heavy armour sets.

Loving this game so much I think I'm gunna throw an extra 20 notes at the season pass.

Soldato
Nice jim, ive reached the 2nd region and done the first main over there. Did my first twilight mission last night, a version of the first mission. Went well loot everywhere! That boss seemed super easy going back now that im used to the game.

Only thing i find is im worried about gear, picking up soo much. Currently keeping under 30% for super fast rolling. Is the idea to just use other armour to soul forge the set that im wearing? I have a full set on with set piece bonuses so all other armour im finding cant compare to the bonuses from that. So last night i just soul forged each piece to match my current level as it was only level 18 so was getting out of date

Is that the right thing to do? Not having ps plus means no summoning but its been fine so far (touch wood)

Soldato
for gear someone on neogaf wrote me this:

"
Whites should be sold, no questions. Yellows, blues and purples are to be disassembled, barring the weapon which have transferable abilities that interest you and then you sell the non-purple materials, minus the spirit stone chunks which you should also keep for future reforging.

As item levels increase, there will be thresholds when you will start getting better profits by directly selling the yellows, blues and purples. I never took actual notes when this happens exactly, but it is kind of safe to say that by item level 100 it applies yellows and blues and by lv 150 selling should be the default action unless, again, the weapons have interesting transferables on them."

Associate
Don't concern yourself much with gear or loot until you hit level 100+. As long as it suits your build and play style equip it. So much stuff drops that you're chopping and changing frequently throughout the campaign. I didn't touch reforging, soul matching or crafting until lv100+ and I'm glad I didn't as it's so expensive.

Bar a few bosses that catch you sleeping, or because you're unfamiliar with their moves/patterns, the game doesn't seem to get a difficulty spike. That being said I've dropped in to a few co-op sessions with light armour guys who get crushed in one shot by the bosses.

Late, late game there's some "challenging" side missions but I don't want to spoil the fun. They're probably some of the harder content in the game.

Caporegime
OP
Explain to me how the soul matching etc works? Stuff I generally cba to learn but it feels very much like Transformers. Just did my first Twilight to farm a load of armita and weapons. Deffo happy with the sword/sickle chain thing build - dont think I like dual swords as it doesnt seem to really hurt foes stamina gauge...

BTW whats this about some weapons abilities you can transfer between friends if they equip them and die and you kill their revenant?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
One downside for me at the moment is the enemy variety atleast so far and the general story etc

With the souls series you are pulled in by lore and the area actually seems to tell a story. Here, the levels are well designed sure but they are missing something imo. Anyone else feel like this?

Soldato
I feel like I'm starting to get burnt out on this game entirely because of the sub-missions. I don't want to leave them and come back later because they'd probably be way too easy then and I feel like I'd be missing out, but going through the same levels 3 times (or 4 including the Twilight missions) is just too much and is making me not want to play the game as much as I should want to. Anyone else feel this way? I must have played the game for 10-15 hours and only seen three levels because of it.

Back
Top Bottom