• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: SO RYZEN: WHICH ONE DID YOU BUY OR ARE GONNA BUY?

Which Ryzen did you buy or are planning to buy?

Votes: 142 41.0%
  • 1700X

Votes: 92 26.6%
  • 1800X

Votes: 112 32.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Thats the one, great stuff, we do white and blue ones too. Also 16GB kits too! :)
3000MHz is the sweet spot for sure!

Thanks guys but, that doesn't help someone like me :) Now I've got the full 64Gb in my basket (imagining some crazy virtualised lab/home server/workstation setup that vaguely justifies it) and trying to guess if £420 this month would be more or less next month.

If the 1700 wasn't oddly 65TDP, I'd probably jump on that, but I'm stuck wondering why the same paper spec processor (without the X) is 30TDP less and what it all means. Getting details out of Gibbo/OCuk about that (before March 2nd) is probably like asking Daisy Riddley who Rey's parents are.

Soldato
If the 1700 wasn't oddly 65TDP, I'd probably jump on that, but I'm stuck wondering why the same paper spec processor (without the X) is 30TDP less and what it all means.
Presumbly that TDP figure is entirely based on its stock base clock of 3GHz.

They want to ship a 16-thread part with a cheap stock cooler (Spire) and so something has to be dialed down to get away with that

That's the optimistic take.

Associate
Got everything but the cpu now - waiting patiently for news on the 4c8t ones, blew my budget on the crosshair VI :D

Before someone rips me for buying a top end board to go with a 'low' end cpu - my building on a budget mantra is to go large on the case/psu/mobo to make a stable base for years to come - everything else is much easier to upgrade when the time comes. That said, there may have been an element of 'ooo shiny' influencing my decision...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Waiting for reviews until I make my decision (not going to upgrade until June anyway).

Soldato
Depends on how the 1700 overclocks, I'm more than happy to do everything manually but if it's a low quality bin then I'd rather go for something I know can make 4 GHZ Base easily enough, I'll wait for owners to get some and see how they overclock, I've had this for almost 5 years waiting another month or two is hardly going to kill me, maybe I'll get a 10% discount!

LHM

LHM

Associate
can someone please advise which Ryzen is best for gaming? I like to game at 4k resolutions with my gsync monitor and will be getting a 1080ti later this year.

OcUK Staff
OP
can someone please advise which Ryzen is best for gaming? I like to game at 4k resolutions with my gsync monitor and will be getting a 1080ti later this year.

All three chips are same, only difference is clock speeds and they all feature XFR technology.
So a lot of people will buy 1700 and just overclock it too 1800X levels.

Associate
1700, went for the ASUS Prime X370-Pro and 16GB GeIL EVO X. This is my first DDR4 system. This is also the first AMD CPU I've bought in well over 10 years

Soldato
All three chips are same, only difference is clock speeds and they all feature XFR technology.

Great. I just ordered myself a 1700. Will wait a few days to see how the motherboards pan out. Hoping for a review or two before the CPU gets shipped.

Now need to find AM4 bracket for my h115i.

LHM

LHM

Associate

thanks mate. About a month ago I nearly purchased an OC 4.8ghz i7 7700k Kaby Lake cpu. Is the Ryzen cpu more superior than the i7 7700k for gaming?

OcUK Staff
OP
thanks mate. About a month ago I nearly purchased an OC 4.8ghz i7 7700k Kaby Lake cpu. Is the Ryzen cpu more superior than the i7 7700k for gaming?

I will not get into an AMD vs Intel debate, both are great processors, wait for reviews and then make your decision. :)

Associate
I've ordered the 1800X and Crosshair.

Bit worried about the 1800X order though, it was the third attempt and had to use paypal as credit card refused to go through a second time.... Still says processing clearance.... Hopefully orders will be done in the order they were placed not cleared.....

Soldato

See now saying things like that is just starting to make my month look much more expensive. Since you've said that much, do you know who Rey's parents are as well :)

Back
Top Bottom