• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: SO RYZEN: WHICH ONE DID YOU BUY OR ARE GONNA BUY?

Which Ryzen did you buy or are planning to buy?

Votes: 142 41.0%
  • 1700X

Votes: 92 26.6%
  • 1800X

Votes: 112 32.4%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
I really don't understand why anybody would pre-order when there have been no independant reviews yet. People are buying based on speculation, rumour, leaks that may be false and selected screenshots from AMD. It's complete madness to spend money on something that we still don't know very much about.

LHM

LHM

Associate
I really don't understand why anybody would pre-order when there have been no independant reviews yet. People are buying based on speculation, rumour, leaks that may be false and selected screenshots from AMD. It's complete madness to spend money on something that we still don't know very much about.

agreed totally. Going to wait for independent benchmarks rather seeing AMD hand pick their own benchmarks.

Associate
For those thinking about overclocking potential, its worth noting that OcUK have a couple of Ryzen prebuilt overclocked systems online:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/gaming-pc/amd-cpu-gaming-pc

So we can assume these are safe overclock levels at least:

R7 1700 @ 3.8ghz
R7 1700X @ 4.0ghz

I would think they could probably be pushed a little more as the skylake/kabylake overclocked systems run at relatively conservative clocks as well compared to what most manual overclockers get out of them.

Reading between the lines from other posts by 8Pack for example, it looks like there is not a lot more headroom over these figures. Jury is out on the 1800X though, personally I expect around 4.5ghz overclocks on those, but again who knows at the moment.

Soldato
For those thinking about overclocking potential, its worth noting that OcUK have a couple of Ryzen prebuilt overclocked systems online:

R7 1700 @ 3.8ghz
R7 1700X @ 4.0ghz

I would think they could probably be pushed a little more as the skylake/kabylake overclocked systems run at relatively conservative clocks as well compared to what most manual overclockers get out of them.

Reading between the lines from other posts by 8Pack for example, it looks like there is not a lot more headroom over these figures. Jury is out on the 1800X though, personally I expect around 4.5ghz overclocks on those, but again who knows at the moment.

Well amd do 4ghz with 95w where is the i7 6900 does 4ghz at 145w?

Soldato

R7 1700 @ 3.8ghz
R7 1700X @ 4.0ghz

If I could get 4.5Ghz, I'd be all over it like a rash.

Soldato
It really hinges on how well they overclock. It sounds like they don't stretch much further (which makes sense as otherwise you'd never buy a 1700x/1800x), but I'll be hanging on for independent reviews to get a feel for overclocking performance and benchmarking across a wider spread of scenarios. I am definitely slating these chips for my next upgrade though!

Associate

Easy, the processor doesn't come out until the 2nd March. I would expect reviews before then and even not by law we have 7 days to return it, I will not open it until I see benchmarks.
Now on the other hand I could wait, not preorder and risk the SKU I want being sold out when I am finally ready to order.

Associate
Ryzen 1700
Asus X370 prime
Upgrading from 6700k @4.8, 1.37v so want to see reviews and overclocking headroom because if it's poor then it's probably not worth it for me as I got a good 6700k.

Soldato

R7 1700 @ 3.8ghz
R7 1700X @ 4.0ghz

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tita...ming-pc-amd-ryzen-x1700-4.0ghz-fs-1ah-og.html

Almost £1700 and you only get a 470 GPU? Wow that's expensive.

Soldato
I think this is what I would buy, coming from a 3770K. Maybe swapping for a 1700X if reviews show there is a difference in the overclocking compared to 1700. Also need Corsair to release an AM4 bracket for the 110GTX Cooler.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £744.92
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate

Because of this:

64559040.jpg

Associate
I'm waiting for the R5 line-up to be released. My current build plan if I were to go Intel is an i5-7600k. If an R5 gets anywhere near it in gaming for the same price I'll be going for that.

Soldato
Planning on going with this:

AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700X 3.80GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Team Group Elite 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

Should be pretty tasty :)

Soldato

I don't see what the problem is. If somehow it turns out as disappointing, you can cancel the preorder or return within 14 days for a full refund.

Soldato
I really don't understand why anybody would pre-order when there have been no independant reviews yet. People are buying based on speculation, rumour, leaks that may be false and selected screenshots from AMD.

Because AMD's claims have been independently verified. It's not like they showed a graphic of a Ryzen chip beating an Intel one and that was that, they had full blown systems side by side for guys like Linus to inspect on camera to verify that the results being produced by the benchmarks were on the level. Hell they even put one of their systems next to an Intel one they knew would beat it slightly (because it was double the price).

Soldato
The sticking point at the moment if I were upgrading would be availability of brackets to make use of existing cpu air coolers. I already have a Phanteks TC14PE and a Megahalems but haven't seen any word on mounting bracket availability.

OcUK Staff
OP
Back
Top Bottom