• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Are ASROCK mother boards the right way to go? I have been thinking about the

ASRock AMD AM4 Ryzen X370 Gaming K4 ATX Motherboard
All of the boards around that price seem pretty similar in terms of features. The ASRock K4 and MSI Pro Carbon have the benefit of having two M.2 slots compared to the Asus Prime's one though. I think I'll probably go for the MSI personally, as I've been pleased with their products in the past.

Soldato
Thats very true but how many of them games can take advantage of and see meaningful games from more then 8 threads? I'm still of the opinion that a 7700k outperform an 1800x even in games which do like more cores and the i7 will also absolutely smash the 1800x in games like arma where clock speed is king.
It doesn't matter if a game takes advantage of "more than 8 threads". It matters if it uses more than 4 threads, because 6 real cores will be faster than 4 real cores + SMT. It ultimately depends on how loaded those threads are and the implementation within the game engine but generally a 6c/12t chip should best a 4c/8t chip if the game is using 5+ evenly loaded threads.

Soldato
ASROCK make awesome boards but if its a faff to change your board I would probably wait until the launch dust has settled as they will surely launch a 14 Phase OCFormula board. If not then just buy one for now and swap it out for a OCFormula later.

Associate
ASROCK make awesome boards but if its a faff to change your board I would probably wait until the launch dust has settled as they will surely launch a 14 Phase OCFormula board. If not then just buy one for now and swap it out for a OCFormula later.

I feel like the OCF boards will take a while to come out. So that they can better analyse the situation and come up with the best design. The Matx Z170 OCF took forever to come out for example.

Back
Top Bottom