Bigger drive always best for OS?

Soldato
i know you need a decent size hdd to acompany the operating system plus all updates, but I have 2 hard drives spare than I'm going to use on a computer I'm rebuilding to sell and the choice I have is a 500gb 3gb/s and a 1TB 6gb/s with which I was going to put the os(64 bit 7 or 8.1) on the 500gb and use the bigger drive for storage, the board I'm using supports both speeds, so no compromises needed there.

Mean I don't even need to use both drives, I just don't need both in general so was going to hope it adds appeal lol, but I have always put the os on the smaller drive in a 2 drive setup unless the smaller one was purchased as the secondary, had no problems myself, but have had advice that I should put the os on the bigger drive before, Suppose when it comes to selling or building for someone I favour quantity over performance.

Man of Honour
Considering the cost and performance increase in using an SSD as the OS drive I wouldn't put the OS anywhere near a mechanical drive anymore.
Pick up a cheap 128gb SSD and throw the 1tb in as mass storage.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply, sadly not really an option unless I can get the funds from somewhere, but performance aside it was more to do with if it's always better to put the os on a bigger drive for the fact of the extra space as I find 500gb pretty quick compared to anything under 250gb anyways and obviously 1tb even quicker.

Associate
If your really limited to only those two drives I would put both in and use smaller for OS, this mean both drives can work at once when playing games etc, if something in windows has to load it doesn't delay your game loading.

It's not ideal but it will help.

The age of the mechanical drive for OS is coming to a close, SSD's are just so much better for the millions of files used in an operating system.

Soldato
I'm happily running Win10 on a 64GB SSD as well. Recently reinstalled it due to a motherboard change but even when it had been running for 2 years with updates, drivers basic apps and app data that comes with it, there was still 20GB free.

Fresh install is less than 20GB in total.

Don
SSD is a must.

You'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner. They're by far the best upgrade of the past 10 years.

Get yourself a nice Samsung Evo 850 (256GB or 512GB) and install Windows on it.

Since Vista, Windows is horrible without an SSD.

Don
Larger doesn't mean faster. You've probably just been buying better generations of hard drive that the previous smaller drive you had.

An 8TB Black WD drive is no faster than a 500Gb Black.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, I will have a look at current prices of 2nd hand ssd's, The computer is already up and running and ready for sale, I chose the 1tb hdd only option as Windows could be reset to factory so I didn't need to use the key as it was automatic, so it was easier, but I've been away for the weekend, so didn't get to advertise anyways, so still got possible options.

Back
Top Bottom