£7-8k car, 155 miles a day

Man of Honour
Any VauxhallOver the next few weeks one of two things will happen, either I'll be getting a job 2 miles from home, in which case this thread will become largely redundant, or I don't get it and I end up carrying on where I am. Well there is a third thing which involves 80 miles a day but a 4 day week, so criteria for that would be somewhat different.

My Focus just doesn't cut it anymore, so I'm after something that can soak up the miles and is reasonable to run, but most of all reliable.

Ideally I am after the following:
  • Cruise control
  • Xenons
  • Auto (not necessary, as 90% is dual carriageway/motorway)
  • 750 mile tank range (probably not possible?)
  • Decent sound system with Bluetooth streaming/voice (I do have a Parrot kit I can fit)
  • Practical, as in I can fold the rear seats down
  • Heated leather seats
Do not want:
  • Anything French
  • Any Vauxhall
I would consider something NA petrol with the idea that it may cost less to maintain than a diesel, however due to the mileage I think a diesel is the only option here? I realise that 750 miles is out of the question!

I don't mind spending a little extra on fuel if it's going to be a much nicer car than the Focus.

Any ideas?

Please no comments about get a job closer to home, stay overnight at work etc. Only interested in car suggestions.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I must admit I prefer the Superb interior over the Mondeo, that said the facelift Mondeo one is much, much better.

All I know is whenever I get into a taxi that's a Mondeo I always cringe at the silveryness and headunit, they just look stuck in to me and don't seem to integrate well into the dash.

thoughts are on high mileage cars

I would prefer something with under 60k to be honest.

Soldato
For something that can do that sort of mileage, I think the closest you'll come to hitting your prerequisites will be an E92 BMW 320d. Xenons, auto, CC, sound system is alright, folding seats and leather. You may get lucky and find one with heated leather, but unlikely.

Something like this: http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612140601454?

It even comes with Brembo brakes... :p *cringe*

Man of Honour
OP
Audi A4 (B7) basically

Built on the Audi A4 platform IIRC. Might be wrong though.

I had a 59 plate A5 and found the seating position really odd, it felt as if my feet were over to one side compared to my body. Is it going to be the same with the Exeo?
For something that can do that sort of mileage, I think the closest you'll come to hitting your prerequisites will be an E92 BMW 320d. Xenons, auto, CC, sound system is alright, folding seats and leather. You may get lucky and find one with heated leather, but unlikely.
What will a 320d offer me that something like a Superb or Mondeo can't?

Don
I had a 59 plate A5 and found the seating position really odd, it felt as if my feet were over to one side compared to my body. Is it going to be the same with the Exeo?

Maybe - I can't say for sure, although the A5 is actually a different platform to the A4 (B7) / Exeo

What will a 320d offer me that something like a Superb or Mondeo can't?

Entry to the elite and sometimes snobbish owners circle on here :)

Associate
This would certainly be a comfy ride and all the toys in the world.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611240061622?postcode=nr66jn&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=PHAETON&make=VOLKSWAGEN&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=90&sort=price-asc&page=1

Great car i almost brought a GS300LE last year, shame in the 450H you can't put the back seats down in the Hybrid and the boot is small

Can you please edit existing posts rather that replying to yourself - Thanks, Armageus

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Any VAG, so a Passat, Audi A4 or A6 will be at the top of my list.

Does it matter how old it is?

Age, no, not really but I'd obviously like something more modern inside and to look at than my mk2 Focus.

Really not liking the look of that.

This would certainly be a comfy ride and all the toys in the world.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611240061622

That's really not nice inside!

Back
Top Bottom