• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Its down to price - offering close to top end performance for intel mid range price , which , unless you are earing silly money wages , mid range is the top of your budget - rent for your home will eat a good chunk of wages as does power and food (forgetting children). So spening out £1k for a cpu alone isn't going to realistically happen

but when you can buy a entire pc for that money , guess what

Soldato
This actually surprises me. An extra $100/£100 for 200 MHz and it sells more than the 1700X? I guess people really don't overclock any more.

We don't know exactly how these chips are binned yet, so maybe people are thinking the best chance of a good overclock comes with the 1800x and everything less will be the chips that didn't cut it. I wouldn't make that choice until we see how they do in reviews.

Soldato
Most people don't want to run M.2 RAID 0 :p

Nothing to do with RAID, everything to do with M2 prices for drives bigger than 512GB.

Once you have an M2 system with no SATA its hard to consider anything else.

I am not being overly critical of the launch boards, the top tier boards (MITX dual M2 slots) will appear I just got to wait.

Associate
This actually surprises me. An extra $100/£100 for 200 MHz and it sells more than the 1700X? I guess people really don't overclock any more.
I would guess that many people are buying simply to bring competition back to the market/to 'get back' at Intel. It may also be that many peoples' research boils down to comparing prices, seeing the difference, and immediately snapping up a good deal.

Soldato
Nothing to do with RAID, everything to do with M2 prices for drivers bigger than 512GB.
How many modern games do you own that 512GB isn't enough? lol. I use a 480GB SATA-2 SSD for my downloads folder and old games because having them on the NVMe drive would just be a waste of space.

Once you have an M2 system with no SATA its hard to consider anything else.
In the future all boards will have U.2 connector{s} anyway so the niche need for dual M.2 will evaporate.

Associate
I would guess that many people are buying simply to bring competition back to the market/to 'get back' at Intel. It may also be that many peoples' research boils down to comparing prices, seeing the difference, and immediately snapping up a good deal.
i think people are tired of getting ripped off and amd have just given those people a chance to get back at the price gougers/intel, that sentiment may help amd more than any review

Caporegime

The 1800X is also the best seller here, its astonishing, a £500 AMD CPU and its flying out off all retail doors, topping best sellers charts just hours after release, i think it shows how much confidence people actually have in AMD.
Intel's PR minions are getting drowned out by all the noise.

Good, AMD obviously worked hard on this and its looks like they learned from a lot of mistakes, AMD deserve a healthy income from it and we need then to continue to play their part in challenging Intel, AMD are the only ones who can. And they can.

Associate
The 1800X is also the best seller here, its astonishing, a £500 AMD CPU and its flying out off all retail doors, topping best sellers charts just hours after release, i think it shows how much confidence people actually have in AMD.

Good, AMD obviously worked hard on this and its looks like they learned from a lot of mistakes, AMD deserve a healthy income from it and we need then to continue to play their part in challenging Intel, AMD are the only ones who can. And they can.
AMD could have charged an extra 25-30% more if it had overclocked well and still would've sold loads.

Soldato
The other thing I just noticed which Adored has pointed out on his latest video is that actually...AMD made a booboo in the marketing slides looking at the footnotes. Ryzen is NOT 52% faster than Excavator clock per clock...it's 64%. 52% was Piledriver!

Not sure if that was a deliberate slip up to further obfusticate performance but hey...more performance!

Soldato

Where we you getting you sales figures from?
are preorders considered sales?

OcUK Staff
Gibbo doesn't look like he cares, he's revelling in this launch, just like everyone not vested in Intel is.

I am not biased towards either!

But we just tested a 1700, it hit 4.0GHz stable in everything, but ONLY in the Crosshair mainboard, the lower-end boards it was hovering around 3.80GHz as the VRM's were cooking with extra voltage. It however was maxing around 4050MHz, so I'd say 1700 can do 3.9-4.1GHz, of course the 1800X will probably do 4.1-4.3 as no doubt better binned, but if your clocking the motherboard has a big impact on the overclock and so far Asus Crosshair and Asrock Taichi seem the best two.

I say it how it is, Intel is still selling and always will, we have no exposure on Intel. :)

Soldato

Where are you looking? On the UK rainforest site I see the 1700X as the top seller and 1800X as #2. Interestingly, I can't find either when searching for "1800X", "1700X", or "Ryzen".

Soldato
Gibbo, have you tested the MSI Carbon board yet? Can you share how that has done?

I think that will be a popular board given the spec versus cost.

Also:

The additional info here about the testing and the settings the 6900k was using, 4GHZ boost for example, is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom