• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NEW EVGA GTX 10 SERIES iCX CARDS NOW AVAILABLE!! **

Soldato
Should have got the original 6 months ago for £620 and uprated the compound with the pad mod for better core temps than the revision unless you also take it apart would be my advice. Buying now and I would suggest not to buy either and instead spend 560-600 to avoid feeling ripped off by brexit and the pound being worth peanuts :D

I already bought the Gigabyte 1080 for £529.99. As stated in the thread I linked to, my first choice was EVGA but the cooler issue put me off.

I think it actually reflects really well on EVGA, they've revised the design and offered the upgrade to ACX owners.

Soldato
Sorry, didn't realise you worked for AMD and had access to all the prices for upcoming products. Silly me.

AMD? A business? Really? Well, the things you learn on the Internet...

And "crybabies".. Seriously, grow up.

Don't need to work for AMD to have common sense, so yes, silly you.

Telling someone to grow up at the end of such a pathetic attempt at humour is also quite amusing.

In the interest of not arguing with keyboard warriors, the point I made was that AMD are not saviours, they will sell a product for the maximum they possibly can, not lower the price because someone on the internet didn't like the price(of a high selling competitors product.)

I'd love to be wrong and strong competition forces prices down but that's highly unlikely.

Associate
I recently purchased my GPU it is working fine regardless of issues in the past.

Is it worth doing a step up and getting a card with the new ICX cooler?

Soldato
You started all this with me in this thread a while back
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...lent-with-other-manufacturers.18765234/page-2

You can condescend all you like, just because you bought one and have convinced yourself it's all good. However, not only have EVGA updated the design but they are also offering an upgrade facility for people like you. As dave2150 rightly points out, the second hand buyer won't have that option... Hence the hit to resale value.

There's currently £20 difference between the two cards... So when people come on these forums asking if the £20 is justified, what advice do you think people who know what they are talking about will be offering them?

Your missing the point where the design of this cooler was being worked on a year or more ago. They had to wait for patterns to be applied before they could go on sale and others copy their new ideas on what they have done. There was no condescending comment back.

It is clear a few don't know any of the details or are currently miss=reading/spreading them. Also EVGA have a long history of offering upgrades to existing owners for new cooler designs, this isn't the first time and before it has always been praised by the community, now a few of the minority are saying it's bad they are offering an upgrade to the newest cooler rather than forcing people no option at all?

It is a situation where the internet had decided things off one comment with no facts and by the time the facts were shown people couldn't be bothered to read them. It was proved there was no issue and the minor issues a few did have were not cooler related. Their fail rate is still lower than a number of other suppliers and yet you are suggesting that EVGA are the worst by comments like this which just isn't the case.

Soldato
I recently purchased my GPU it is working fine regardless of issues in the past.

Is it worth doing a step up and getting a card with the new ICX cooler?

Depends if you will really use the new features they offer like the a-sync fan control or not? If you are planning on plug and play and happy then I see no reason to upgrade/step-up to the latest ICX models in honesty.

Soldato
Yes, nice back track.

Dave's point is valid, as was my concern previously.

Anyone buying an EVGA 10 series card will want the ICX cooler regardless of whether they are buying new or second hand. Expect the price of the ACX cooled cards to drop as retailers try to shift old stock.

Second hand value will be affected due to EVGA revising the cooling system, regardless of anyone's personal experience of the original cards.

No they wont. They are priced differently with different warranties. The second hand market is always moving and these are distinctly different cards just like what is offered by other brands with different coolers. They do not have to correlate at all.

Soldato
Your missing the point... Their fail rate is still lower than a number of other suppliers and yet you are suggesting that EVGA are the worst by comments like this which just isn't the case.

I am suggesting no such thing. Try to read what people post.

The point being made is that the issue with the cooler has affected second hand value of the ACX models. That's what is being said, no more and no less.

Soldato
I am suggesting no such thing. Try to read what people post.

The point being made is that the issue with the cooler has affected second hand value of the ACX models. That's what is being said, no more and no less.

The first part was to reply to you, the 2nd part was suggested by posts here and the other thread linked.

Edit: And I have kind of grouped things in the reply to what others said, I can't get multi-quote to work since the update to forum so just pick a reply these days.

Soldato
Different warranties? :confused:

Warranty length. The difference being older cards of course have shorter warranty periods left.

I still don't see how it affects the 2nd hand market. One would have been priced as it is now, the other will be more second hand. It won't drop the resale value of current models.

Soldato
Warranty length. The difference being older cards of course have shorter warranty periods left.

I still don't see how it affects the 2nd hand market. One would have been priced as it is now, the other will be more second hand. It won't drop the resale value of current models.

The warranty on both cards is 3 years.

The second hand market will be affected much the same way as the brand new market is now. People will have a choice between the ICX and ACX model, and will naturally choose the ICX model. The is literally no reason to choose ACX models now that the ICX exists.

The second hand market will be further hampered by the fact that an overheating issue existed for some owners, and that EVGA responded with a thermal pad kit initially and followed up with a new design of cooler. The amount of RMA's due to cooling issues is completely irrelevant as the reputational harm has been done. Just to be clear, I'm taking about the reputation of the cooler, not the reputation of EVGA in general.

Caporegime
The prices are fine, if no one was willing to pay these prices for them, then they'd just be sat on the shelves collecting dust, but they're not, they're flying out, even the £1200 Titan is flying out, so Nvidia would be absolutely bonkers to drop the price, :)

And where does the 1080ti come in to all this?

I can't seem to find space for it in the current pricing lineup...

Soldato
Ive seen this card reviewed vs the old EVGA FTW cards and they perform just about the same. Don't expect to break that 2.2Ghz wall and keep it. So i don't understand the price personally. Your paying for the looks and sound profile this card produces more than anything.

Soldato
Got my ICX upgrade for my 1070FTW just don't think it's worth the almost £100 to upgrade as my card runs fine and has a 5 year warranty I know it's transferable to the new card but I'm just not sure,I've got 5 days to make my mind up.

Back
Top Bottom