Are you doing anything with Hue?

Man of Honour
Costly option if that's all you want to setup. Remote control RGBW strip lighting can be had for a lot less.

However if you are looking into expanding into all lighting is various rooms then yes HUE is a good option.

I'm using it as a base, like a first Sonos speaker. I want to replace the LED lighting I have in the kitchen as it doesn't work very well anymore and then eventually most of the bulbs around the house.

Caporegime
After been impressed with Alexa, I thought I might dabble in some Hue bulbs. I noticed my friend's hub was connected via ethernet and is a requirement. My router is in another (unused) room though, so is the range of the Hub and bulbs decent?

Associate
for the life of me I can't get alexa to work with scenes on hue. She just says try saying the right location and scene despite me saying exactly what it says in the Alexa app. I've followed everyone's recommendations of deleting apps, deleting the smart devices and the skill etc but she still. won't. work! However she will dim and raise the lights which is nice

Soldato
After been impressed with Alexa, I thought I might dabble in some Hue bulbs. I noticed my friend's hub was connected via ethernet and is a requirement. My router is in another (unused) room though, so is the range of the Hub and bulbs decent?
Each bulb you have increases the total range of the hue lights network. So totally depends on your setup.

Associate
Now then,i know that the first Hue Lightstrip isn't considered as good as the newest Lightstrip + but should it be considered ok if you could get it for £35? Really tempted (although I'm not really sure where I would stick it)

Soldato
It's fine if you just want some colour or light highlighting. The new one is much better if you want some decent bright white though. It's much brighter all around.

Will work well if you put it somewhere to reflect off a light or white surface.

Soldato
For those using the Hue Gu10 (ambiance white) bulbs how do you find the spread of light? In the middle of redoing our living room and planning to fit these into the ceiling but want to ensure I install enough but also not too many.

Associate
Would it be possible to have one of the light strips plugged in near my pc, going into the pc and looping around the inside of the case and then out the back along the monitors? just so i can change the colour of everything in my living room in one go if i replace all main lights and side lamps with HUE bulbs too

Soldato
You could do, but they're not great at bending around corners more compex than 90 degrees or changing the direction when on a flat surface without it bulking out, such as trying to curve it around the back of a flat monitor, the bigger the monitor the better it will work though, internal case angles may or may not work well depending on how you plan to run it.

Soldato
It could work, but like I say, they're not great for bending, depending on the angle and direction of the bend.

If you lay out it out right you might be able to find a nice path in along the bottom of the case, then up along the front, along the roof and back out again.

Soldato
OP
Just added a Nanoleaf Aurora to my setup. It's brilliant, very sci-fi. Not as practical as Hue, so if it's of any use to anyone, the products are not really comparable. Yes they are both LED smart lighting systems but Hue is best for normal lighting purposes, the Aurora is almost artwork!

Soldato
I've got LOADS of Hue strips sat in a box waiting to be used. Amazon had a deal on before xmas and they were less than half price...I think I may have bought them all....

Soldato
I've got LOADS of Hue strips sat in a box waiting to be used. Amazon had a deal on before xmas and they were less than half price...I think I may have bought them all....
Git! :D I've been waiting for amazon to do another deal, I've bought loads of HUE stuff recently and now just need a strip to finish off the living room. Also thinking about getting some more remotes for the kids rooms.

Back
Top Bottom