Are you proud to be British / European?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm proud to be English and British. Based off my families history. I don't consider myself European, though I admire european countries and different cultures.

Soldato
Something not widely known is all the off-shore wind farms being built around the UK are actually huge fans to blow the country further North.

Soldato
No. The UK is a country off the coast of Europe :)

No. The UK is an island country which is part of geographical Europe. Butter it up however you want, unless the cartographers change the boundaries of where Europe begins and ends - your European. In the same way a person from Kenya is also African.

Soldato
What if i told you that Europe is just a geographical location?

What if i told you that the UK was in Europe?

You think that's air your breathing?

1_CLu1_RVa_V7_ILMbxmtpqbcag.jpg

Associate
Look at apes and chimps our closest relatives. They live in a groups and can often fight other groups that are not part of their own. The same is true of humans.

Chimps are just a smidge away from us and so much of human behaviour is reflected in them, as we share a relatively recent ancestor.
But if you want to base your behaviour on chimps go right ahead.

Soldato
In what way?

Maybe he is the sort that gets up at 6am on holiday to put towels down on the sunbeds by the pool, rather than stay up till 6 am being sick and starting fights in what are essentially northern English Spanish towns.

To be honest, i can understand associating yourself with a culture but i dont know how you can class European as a single culture or dis-include the UK from it.

Chimps are just a smidge away from us and so much of human behaviour is reflected in them.
But if you want to base your behaviour on chimps go right ahead.

I personally hold myself to a higher standard than animals that enjoy throwing poo at each other but each to ones own.

V F

V F

Soldato
Used to be, but find it quite embarrassing now due to recent events. So no, not anymore. I'm half Finnish anyway so do also view myself as European.

I'm looking forward to seeing the reactions for the Eurovision song contest. Think it was bad before? Even though that doesn't speak for your everyday normal European man and woman.

Soldato
I'm looking forward to seeing the reactions for the Eurovision song contest. Think it was bad before? Even though that doesn't speak for your everyday normal European man and woman.

It'd be quite disheartening for the individual(s) representing the UK if they were actually really good (lol, I know...but hear me out) but then got a nice round 0 because other events.

Soldato
Last time i checked, Eurovision was just a garbage popularity contest... much like politics.

Has this changed at all?

Nope, it's still garbage. It's also one of my guilty pleasures. I tune in every year to watch the scores come in, I'm not interested in the first part where the songs are sang. This year I predict the UK will get nil poi.

Soldato
Whether British people consider themselves to be European or not, they are European.

In culture, in language, in faith, in genetics, in geography, in cuisine and in - believe it or not - values.

It just might not be noticeable unless you've spent a considerable time outside of the western world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom