AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Associate
Hi folks. I want to thank those I've quoted and asked questions about their AirPods.

I've finally gotten a pair. Was in the Apple Store at Manchester and they had 2 in stock. I hastily bought them but was also really tempted by the Beats X.

The connectivity and wireless nature is absolutely ridiculously good. It is the main reason someone should buy these headphones.

I've used Bluetooth headphones with a wire and think they are great. No wire at all is even better. Especially when it comes to calls.

The sound has good clarity and better 'mids' than standard earpods in my experience. They are not heavy on bass at all.

Also there is ZERO noise isolation. That's nice for certain situations, however I wish it had it or some form of noise cancellation for when I'm in the office.

Making calls and listening to podcasts is excellent. Listening to music is decent. There is no getting away from the fact that there are better sounding headphones cheaper than this.

If audio is your main concern, you may not like these. It was mine. So I listed them on eBay.

Then I found myself taking them everywhere. The carry case is a little piece of genius and makes taking them with you simple AND it charges the headphones. Compared to my cheap wired bluetooth headphones, they last so long.

Here are things that made me want to get rid of them - they aren't that comfortable for me. I'm not surprised as I didn't get on with EarPods.

What I have found is that I mustn't force them into my earlobes as they cause stress on them very easily. They do stay in place though. When I first wore them I was always very conscious that they were going to fall out.

As it stands, I'm absolutely in love with AirPods and the minor drawbacks of sound compared to other headphones pales in comparison to the benefits.

I take them to bed with me (just on my bedside table so I can put one headphone in and listen to something without disturbing anyone) and to the office.

tl;dr AirPods are great. Thought about selling them, changed my mind. Now in LOVE with them.

P.S. I've ordered some clear silicon covers to see if that helps with how they are in my ears. Since I've stopped shoving them in my bloody ears things some much better.

Commissario
P.S. I've ordered some clear silicon covers to see if that helps with how they are in my ears. Since I've stopped shoving them in my bloody ears things some much better.
Interested to know what you've ordered and how quickly you get fed up putting them on and taking them off so that the AirPods will fit in the case.

Associate
Interested to know what you've ordered and how quickly you get fed up putting them on and taking them off so that the AirPods will fit in the case.

Hi Feek. I'll let you know when they come and I will update the thread as well.

It's these from eBay at £3.99 - I'm also going to order another set to see if they help. Trying to get ones that won't effect the sensor when in your ears.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/etUAAOSwCGVX-JKC/s-l1600.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Have you tried setting up an alert using this as mentioned earlier in the thread? It worked well for me.

Ta.

Quoted you Feek as a notification.

Just got these:

UbbPyt1.jpg

Earskinz. Tried to go for ones that were see through for the sensor but these block it. So when I pull them out of my ear they don't stop anymore.

Only 30 mins in so take with a pinch of salt. They make the fit more snug but I don't know if they help with comfort just yet. Seem to but by tonight I should be clearer on that.

They are hard to fit on as well.

Noticed an increase in bass from the placement in my ear. So that's a good thing.

Stay tuned.

Associate
Do they fit in the case with those on?

No feek. Not even close. They are too bulky. They do make a secure fit and the pods will not move so that's good for audio.

Overall they are too hard to get on and off to be a viable option.

Got the others now.

Will do another post

Associate
So, here are AirPods cover number 2:

hBwOcAr.jpg

Much slimmer and less bulkier than the other ones. They still won't fit in the case thanks to the hooks that they have.

These are so much easier to get on and off so they may be a viable alternative.

Idea may be to leave a pair of these at home for extended listening or the office. The other EarSkinz are just to easy to get on and off.

I'd say these shift a bit more than the others but they are more comfortable than naked AirPods. The hooks don't really do it for me. I assume they are good for working out in the Gym.

Overall. Covers or skins for your AirPods are a real pain in the behind.

Soldato
Loads of stock in Apple Stores today according to the tracker — must have had a shipment in.

*Edit* Just been able to order from O2 website — collect in store on Tuesday. Much better than the 4–6 week delivery time from Apple.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been using them working, driving, housework, chilling everything, I'm even sitting on the sofa at home wearing them now as I've not taken them off since working earlier.

It's crazy how I can seamlessly do pretty much anything, not touch them once while they're in my ears and still go about doing daily tasks completely unhindered.

Watching video on my phone when commuting is a more more pleasurable experience now too, I've got a lot more freedom of how I handle the phone.

I used them for a long car journey last week too, which was excellent. Didn't have to blast the car speakers to hear at 70mph, instead I was able to listen comfortably at a reasonable volume with the Aipods. Still steer and carry out any maneuver safely, and because they don't have a foam fit or are noise cancelling, I can still hear all the relevant road noises for safety.

The case is top notch too. All round loving them big time. I was a bit self conscious at first, but I don't care now. I just head out and do what I need to do, starting to forget they're 'wireless', and they're just my new headphones and as important as the phone itself.

Soldato
I am finding the sound quality decent enough for me. Music definitely sounds better if you change the EQ setting to 'bass booster' in my opinion.

To be honest though I rarely listen to music through the normal apple headphones. My car has a Bang & Olufsen sound system which is excellent so I mainly listen to music whilst driving.

What I do use the headphones for are podcasts/audiobooks, listening in the office and handsfree. Think these will be great for my use.

It seems most people I come across just don't get the appeal or keep saying they're awful yet I bet they have never tried them.

Soldato
I know this is the AirPod thread...but does anyone else find in ear headphones uncomfortable? I bought some jaybird X3s and put the smallest foam tips on, but I doubt I could wear them for long. Can almost see why Apple went with the design they did.

Back
Top Bottom