AM4 High End Motherboard. Asus, AsRock, Gigabyte or MSI?)

Associate
Lets choose best motherboard for AM4 ^^

In my opinion from current market best is AsRock Taichi

I dont have so big experience, maybe you can advice something else from TOP range

Soldato

I dont have so big experience, maybe you can advice something else from TOP range

Hoping for big things from the Gaming 7, as spotted by another member, BLCK overclocking enabled- could make all the difference getting the 1700 to match x1800 . Havent seen with the others about BLCK overclocking .
Able to handle a second NVMe in the 3rd PCIe slot, which im guessing most boards can as well although does render x1 slots unusable.

Seems with the Taichi and Titanium the second m.2 runs at Gen 2x4 speed - 20Gb/s where as you could use the Bottom slot for full 3x4 32Gb/s and disables the second m.2 slot....

Gutted personally not to see a STRIX version out there. Big price gap with ASUS and i think the Strix looks better then the ROG boards IMO

Last edited:
Soldato
The only people who will know for sure at this moment in time are the people under NDA. Everything else is just speculation.

As far as I can see only the Asus Rog Crosshair VI Hero, Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K7 / Gaming K5 and MSI XPower Gaming Titanium / Gaming Pro Carbon have mentioned memory tuning beyond 2667MHz.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I was going to suggest the Asus Rog Crosshair VI Hero, but for me it's missing the U.2 port unless I've missed something. So it would mean id need to get a Asus Hyper Kit which could be a problem.

The Gigabyte AX370-Gaming seem to be the best of the bunch IMO at the mo.

Associate
Gigabyte X370 k7 & 5 looks great. Carbon looks nice but slightly put off by the fact that MSI don't realise their m.2 shield makes the drives hotter.

Soldato
What do people think to the asrock x370 killer sli? Never owned one of their boards and it seems like very good value relative to the k7, 5 and especially against the crosshair.

Associate
The as rock professional has 5gb lan which I am interested in, has all the same mosfets and caps as the taichi also so am very tempted but I have never had a asrock board before and I don't know what there firmware update timing is like or what there bios is like. I have been a Asus man for the last 15 years and also really like the crossfire board but looking at it, I don't think my noctua nh-d15s with am4 mounting kit will fit due to the strange positioning of the caps round the cpu socket. I have asked gibbon about this as they have tested the board but not had any response.
Anyone else with a noctua cooler using the am4 mounting kit noticed this?

Soldato
Im looking at the Asrock Taichi, i had an Asrock Z68 Extreme board and it was superb, used aload of Asrock H81 boards during the mining craze too :) never had an issue with any of their boards, im kinda forced onto the Taichi though as i want a really good board but sadly the really important thing is aesthetics for me, my last build looked like an explosion in a paint factory, so this time i really want to hit the nail on the head with the theming.

I have a Phanteks Enthoo Primo case, this has a Blue LED strip down the front and top, so the Taichi with that blue LED fits this perfectly, however the amount of white means im going to now have to find components that match this too, might end up getting some Avexir Raiden ram to go in it if i can find it anywhere, and hope that an Vega card comes in white or white and black lol

Associate
Hoping for big things from the Gaming 7, as spotted by another member, BLCK overclocking enabled- could make all the difference getting the 1700 to match x1800 . Havent seen with the others about BLCK overclocking .
Able to handle a second NVMe in the 3rd PCIe slot, which im guessing most boards can as well although does render x1 slots unusable.

Seems with the Taichi and Titanium the second m.2 runs at Gen 2x4 speed - 20Gb/s where as you could use the Bottom slot for full 3x4 32Gb/s and disables the second m.2 slot....

Gutted personally not to see a STRIX version out there. Big price gap with ASUS and i think the Strix looks better then the ROG boards IMO

I dont know much about m2 could you explain that in laymans terms ... so I see the asrock has to m2 slots but your saying the second slot wont run it as quick? ... so not worth it to go for this board for the 2 m2 slots? (which I was looking at).

Soldato
I dont know much about m2 could you explain that in laymans terms ... so I see the asrock has to m2 slots but your saying the second slot wont run it as quick? ... so not worth it to go for this board for the 2 m2 slots? (which I was looking at).

MSI and ASrock second M.2 slot runs at Second Generation PCIe speed x4 . so max data speed transfer is up to 20Gb/s were as the top M.2 like all other board brands run at 3rd generation x4, which means 32Gb/s transfer . Data 3 is 6Gb/s

Until board manuals come out, not sure which data ports gets made redundant when the second m.2 is populated. Nor when the bottom PCIe 3.0 slot is filled. But that bottom slot , in theory on all motherboards, should run at full 32Gb/s .

So in theory, run the second m.2 with a Data 3 M.2 to save having another SSD 2.5" drive to mount somewhere in a cable with extra wires

Soldato

We shall see, because each motherboard has something different to offer but all they are posted on the related websites.
The Taichi seems to have the most power phases (16), and supports 300W EX OC, with dual wifi on the back and a lot of overclocking and cooling stuff.
The MSI Titanium has an 11 step knob at the bottom end for overclocking to 4.4 or something like that, and 10 phases.
The Asus Hero, has 12 phases, and is a typical ROG board with all the bells and whistles, but on contrary to the others has only 1 M2 slot.

Back
Top Bottom