Retro console and games thread

Soldato
I think I have finally tracked down a game I had on the Commodore Amiga.. Top Gear 2. I remember the speech bubbles of "eat my dust" thanks to going on tipofmyjoystick subreddit. So so happy right now...

Problem is, what Amiga was it..? I only have the C64 and A1200, not sure it would work on the A1200 would it? Need to even find a copy first.

Edit: Woops! It's LUMA fix not LIMA. My mistake.

Soldato
Right, seen a guy advertise an Amiga A500, joystick, manuals, mouse etc complete. Picture on the TV but.. he cannot test the drives functionality as he has no games.. Worth a punt at £65? Is that a good price?

Underboss
A friend at work saw a post i put on FB about a load a mega drive games , and said to me " you can have mine if you want them) so today she brought them in

Boxed with manuals of the following :

Zombies
zero Tolerance
Aladdin
Lion King
Pitfall
Mega Games 1
Indy Car (with Nigel Mansell)

Now to get a Megadrive !
Ebay prices are too erratic

How much should I be paying for a Megadrive 1 (or 2) just console without games ?

thanks

Soldato
Nice one mate thank you! If all goes well with the plastic primer and plastidip, I will show the finished C64 case in blue :)

lumafix looks great. Games must look much better?

Edit: Took the shot on the Amiga, all the rest I saw either didn't work, were yellowed beyond belief or didn't even have power cables.

Last edited:
Soldato
It certainly lessen the stripes quite a lot and reduces some of the over sharpening. I'd say games do look better but I guess it's subjective. I prefer the look with rather than the look without the lumafix. Having a decent svideo cable helps and an LCD that has svideo in.

Soldato
Finally started Mario Sunshine this morning! It's really good, I don't know why I didn't play it when the GameCube was out. Controls are a bit fiddly as the c-stick is inverted and there's no option to change it. Early days of twin sticks I suppose.

Man of Honour
A friend at work saw a post i put on FB about a load a mega drive games , and said to me " you can have mine if you want them) so today she brought them in

Boxed with manuals of the following :

Zombies
zero Tolerance
Aladdin
Lion King
Pitfall
Mega Games 1
Indy Car (with Nigel Mansell)

Now to get a Megadrive !
Ebay prices are too erratic

How much should I be paying for a Megadrive 1 (or 2) just console without games ?

thanks

Don't buy a MD 2, sound quality isn't as good. If you can get the a MD1 with the "high definition and stereo sound" logo around the cartridge slot then do so.

I wouldn't pay anymore than £40-45. Preferably less than £40.

Finally started Mario Sunshine this morning! It's really good, I don't know why I didn't play it when the GameCube was out. Controls are a bit fiddly as the c-stick is inverted and there's no option to change it. Early days of twin sticks I suppose.

A lot of games around that era were like that. Jak & Daxter was the same.

Underboss
Don't buy a MD 2, sound quality isn't as good. If you can get the a MD1 with the "high definition and stereo sound" logo around the cartridge slot then do so.

I wouldn't pay anymore than £40-45. Preferably less than £40.

i'm assuming the £40 is for the better sound quality one ?
MD I seem to go for pretty cheap on the bay with MD II's going for even less

Buy it now for £26
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Megadrive-1-/112313236224?hash=item1a2663fb00:g:S-kAAOSwopRYmj5d

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i'm assuming the £40 is for the better sound quality one ?
MD I seem to go for pretty cheap on the bay with MD II's going for even less

Buy it now for £26
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Megadrive-1-/112313236224?hash=item1a2663fb00:g:S-kAAOSwopRYmj5d

Looks fine to me, but if you're not in any rush then you'll get one cheaper if you watch enough auctions.

I think I saw one before that one that came with a six button controller. The official ones go for £20 or more and have a fantastic D pad.

Bear in mind that only comes with RF cables. And you only get stereo sound from the front headphone jack.

What sort of TV and video connections are you going to use?

Soldato
Just had a nice game on Pinball Mania :) Not very good though. Still have to open the Frontier Elite and Brutal Football games I bought months back! What games for the A500 and A1200 would people recommend?

I have Zool, and the above mentioned only.

Soldato
I didn't realise the MD1 was the one to have! May look at grabbing one and selling on my MD2 at some point! I play on a trinitron tv via RGB scart so would I see a benefit? Or hear a benefit I guess?

I don't think I'll go for the Saturn I see for sale locally

Associate
Does anyone own the Open Source Scan Converter? I have a framemeister on order but won't be here until the end of april but was wondering if the OSSC is worth picking up as stock for that is due any day now.

Man of Honour
I didn't realise the MD1 was the one to have! May look at grabbing one and selling on my MD2 at some point! I play on a trinitron tv via RGB scart so would I see a benefit? Or hear a benefit I guess?

I don't think I'll go for the Saturn I see for sale locally

This article has all the information on the differences in all of the models.

http://retrorgb.com/genesisversions.html

Back
Top Bottom