** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Associate
Sorry to ask again folks, but upon further investigation it seems that this "scanline" effect occurs when the monitor is overclockered to 100Hz.

Its EVER so faint, but you can see what is best described as scanlines really more than anything.

If I disable the overclock its back to normal...

Googling seems to reveal this as a regular occurrence, but I would like to ask you all if you could shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Take the OC down to 95 and see what the result is. My B grade X34 can't do 100 but is great on 95.

Soldato
Hi galljon.

To be honest I'm not even sure if the phenomenon is noticeable at a distance its only hen I come close you can see some faint lines at higher overclock of 100.

At 95 its the same.

But 100hz works fine because when I run the refresh rate counter it seems to be running at 100hz.

Could you please go right up close to the monitor and tell me if you can see any faint lines? especially if you have a bright background and look in the corner of the screen?

Soldato
Ah very insightful wunkley, I appreciate such insightful posts and to be honest, this is why I like OCUK forums, because of the quality of great and detailed responses on all matters to do with PCs :)

I think you maybe right.

But one thing for me is the scanline effect just on desktop.

Can you see this on your panel? I mean you do have to be like less than 30 cms away from the screen, its more easier to see lighter backgrounds?

Soldato
No worries bud. Me too, I love this forum most of the time as there are some good knowledgeable people that put some effort in to help solve the myriad of pc gaming problems.

Now then - I don't have any scanlines when on the desktop. Only ever when gaming and under the specific overclock/ framerate combination scenarios as described in my post linked above.

I think some monitors have the scanline issue worse than others perhaps? I wouldn't be happy if I had them on the desktop. What happens when you disable the overclock, do they disappear on the desktop?

Soldato
Thanks wunkley, to be honest, I'm not even sure if I can call them scanlines or what, but they are ever so faint. and I switch from 100hz to 60hz on desktop you can veeeery faintly see them.

Theyre only evident in the top right of the screen for me although if you look closely across to the centre you can pick them up....

But as I said, in 60hz they don't seem to be there.

Are you sure you don't have them whatsoever at 100hz on desktop?
(with Gsync on of course).

Soldato
Sorry can I just clarify the scanlines in the pendulum demo, are you guys referring to the feint grey lines in the background (where the mountains are?)
If so, then I definitely can see something ever so faint.

EDIT: On second thought, they come in and out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I definitely have none when on the desktop (100Hz, gsync on).

Anyway, I don't want to get back into 'bad habits' of looking for them all the time, again :)

I'm very happy with my methods for setting the refresh rate to match the average framerate of the game I play, which totally solves the scanline issue on my monitor.

However, As it is a bit of pain to keep changing the monitor Hz setting in the OSD I've settled on leaving my x34 on 85Hz for most of the time. Running x2 980Ti SLI almost all my games can keep these FPS (or within the magic 10). 100Hz/100fps is still too taxing for some recent games at 3440x1440 max settings. As per my post above, if you clock the x34 at 100Hz and you're only hitting 60-80FPS, you will see scanlines.

And there's not a huge difference between 85Hz and 100Hz on this monitor. Not like there was on my original TN rog swift where I could really see and feel the benefit for every incremental increase in overclock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair comment wunkley, if you are happy with that then do it :)

Ive submitted a ticket to Acer and see what happens.

Hmm this is nuts, sometimes I think I can see something I don't...
Are prenounced against the grey mountain background in the penduum demo?

Soldato
How does the desk mount work for the X34 and where can I buy one from?

Something similar to the one in the video as it looks like it takes up way less desk space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnWnmugUwAY

edit - I was looking at the 'VonHaus Single Arm LCD LED Monitor Desk Mount Bracket for 13"-27" Screens with ±45° Tilt, 360° Rotation & 180° Pull Out Swivel Arm - Max VESA 100x100 - Free 5 Year Warranty' which is £14.99. Although it says upto 27" screens, a few people have mounted their X34 on it without issue.

Either that or the Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm, but this costs a lot more - £107

Last edited:
Associate
After an awful lot of monitor searching I've settled that om going to invest in XR34, now on paper the XR341CK seems to actually be better that the 342 having higher range of adaptive refresh/freesync OC say they are expecting stock tomorrow aswell and it's almost 100 less than the 2 , practically is there actually improvements with the 2 ? Should I be looking at getting on that instead?

Or alternatively anything on the horizon in next few months for something comparable and new maby with DP1.3 everything seems very quiet on 1.3 front that I can or as the case is can't find

Associate
well i bought a acer x34a predator yesterday , i have to say at the moment im feeling a little underwhelemed. Maybe its because ive been gaming on a pionner krp500a for the past so many years.

Initial observations :-

Monitor pin sharp on desktop content , not in game always seems slighly blurred maybe its poor contrast / black level. I certainly couldent watch a movie on this thing it just looks poor to be honest.
With referance to above i dont think its a dud screen just how tech works as i looked at the asus before and it looked similar , slightly blurred in game not sharp poor colours.

Motions great hit 100hz nps no coil whine no dead pixels , however have annoying bleed bottom left of screen ... eyes feel drawn to it.

Quite shocked to be honest after reading about ips and how they offer better colours i just dont see it , debating wether to keep monitor and go back to kuro with dsr.

Seems quite funny to me in some respects that a 6 year old kuro plasma performs in most respects better ie colour reprdouction black levels detail in picture then a october manufactered 2016 lcd.

Caporegime
@fenchu

Not a wonder! Coming from a pioneer krp500a is a massive downgrade :p

Monitor tech for IQ/colours are really **** when compared to good TV's especially that pioneer plasma TV. That is why I keep telling people, unless you badly want a higher refresh rate or/and g/free sync, you are better of spending that £600+ on a TV instead (assuming they have the room for it...).

Next year we should start to see an improvement with IQ/colours as HDR + full array local dimming is finally coming to monitors (still won't come close to good OLED and plasma TVs though), however, once again, for the money, you will still be much better of getting a TV if you want the best IQ/colours, especially when said monitors will be costing about the same as a 55" 4K HDR OLED TV lol...

Soldato
well i bought a acer x34a predator yesterday , i have to say at the moment im feeling a little underwhelemed. Maybe its because ive been gaming on a pionner krp500a for the past so many years.

Initial observations :-

Monitor pin sharp on desktop content , not in game always seems slighly blurred maybe its poor contrast / black level. I certainly couldent watch a movie on this thing it just looks poor to be honest.
With referance to above i dont think its a dud screen just how tech works as i looked at the asus before and it looked similar , slightly blurred in game not sharp poor colours.

Motions great hit 100hz nps no coil whine no dead pixels , however have annoying bleed bottom left of screen ... eyes feel drawn to it.

Quite shocked to be honest after reading about ips and how they offer better colours i just dont see it , debating wether to keep monitor and go back to kuro with dsr.

Seems quite funny to me in some respects that a 6 year old kuro plasma performs in most respects better ie colour reprdouction black levels detail in picture then a october manufactered 2016 lcd.

If you're not that bothered by input lag and still want a big screen,

maybe just get an OLED TV and ultrawide custom resolution if you want that?

I struggle to see the value in a £1000 34'' ultrawide when you can get a OLED 55'' 1.5k TV or 2.5k 65'' behemoth OLED

Coming from any top of the range plasma, only an OLED is going to match/beat it.

I regret getting an LCD/LED Samsung in my apartment. Compared to plasmas, theres just so much not to like on the images (colours, motion, light bleed)

Associate
@fenchu

Not a wonder! Coming from a pioneer krp500a is a massive downgrade :p

Monitor tech for IQ/colours are really **** when compared to good TV's especially that pioneer plasma TV. That is why I keep telling people, unless you badly want a higher refresh rate or/and g/free sync, you are better of spending that £600+ on a TV instead (assuming they have the room for it...).

Next year we should start to see an improvement with IQ/colours as HDR + full array local dimming is finally coming to monitors (still won't come close to good OLED and plasma TVs though), however, once again, for the money, you will still be much better of getting a TV if you want the best IQ/colours, especially when said monitors will be costing about the same as a 55" 4K HDR OLED TV lol...
If you're not that bothered by input lag and still want a big screen,

maybe just get an OLED TV and ultrawide custom resolution if you want that?

I struggle to see the value in a £1000 34'' ultrawide when you can get a OLED 55'' 1.5k TV or 2.5k 65'' behemoth OLED

Coming from any top of the range plasma, only an OLED is going to match/beat it.

I regret getting an LCD/LED Samsung in my apartment. Compared to plasmas, theres just so much not to like on the images (colours, motion, light bleed)

Im feeling the same at moment , tbh i did buy the monitor for higher fps and gsync so i need to take this into account and see how get on next couple of days with referance to returning. I couldent imagine buying a new tv ive seen oled and still very happy with pionner ..... more so now ive tried this monitor ie x34a :)

Associate
**update

must confess after 2 days of owning the x34a it is starting to grow on me , sure the colours aren't as good and the blacks are well ..... grey but the 100hz motion with gysnc is very nice.

I sessioned the panel hard yesterday then went back to my kuro which is 60hz and boy can I see the difference from 60 to 100. I thought 60 was fine but 100 with gsync is like butter and makes 60hz seems slightly odd.

The backlight bleed bottom left of screen I do find anoying on dark content but wary of swapping as no dead pixels ,scan lines noticed, or coil whine.

Picture included

5ocga8.jpg

2lscebr.jpg

neydue.jpg

2yju2pf.jpg

2mxkbpu.jpg

Notice the 2 panels on last picture and kuro black :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom