The Fashion Thread... personal tastes, musings, and recommendations

Man of Honour
Also just ordered one of these for sizing purposes.

33009990251_b7a7a42263_o.jpg

32321513153_947042dd3f_o.jpg

Man of Honour
I was joking, I hasten to add. I see walking shoes in ordinary life as looking pretty rubbish (as I do anyone other than kids wearing combat trousers, or even the smart casual variant :eek:). I'm not saying any of the above looks good! It just looks sad when 'grown ups' opt for such an outfit, imo.

Are you talking camo or cargo/fatigue type trousers in general? plenty of grown up people can pull off cargo trousers fine without looking silly.

Caporegime
I was joking, I hasten to add. I see walking shoes in ordinary life as looking pretty rubbish (as I do anyone other than kids wearing combat trousers, or even the smart casual variant :eek:). I'm not saying any of the above looks good! It just looks sad when 'grown ups' opt for such an outfit, imo.

What would you suggest though for casual wear?

Man of Honour
Shoe shop closing down in Wales; left with 6 pairs for ... £250. 2 pairs of Loake's, 3 pairs of Tricker's and one pair of Gresson's. All leather soles. Some are definitely more for the summer, but all are really excellent quality. And *I* was reasonable, my wife bough *10* pairs :)

yxTPSOU.jpg

0ep2M9u.jpg
Nice haul there. Not a fan of the lighter pair top left but I'd find a use for all of the others. Good buy, particularly with the brands involved. Well played sir :)

Soldato
Shoe shop closing down in Wales; left with 6 pairs for ... £250. 2 pairs of Loake's, 3 pairs of Tricker's and one pair of Gresson's. All leather soles. Some are definitely more for the summer, but all are really excellent quality. And *I* was reasonable, my wife bough *10* pairs :)

yxTPSOU.jpg

0ep2M9u.jpg

Come on share the name ! At those prices I'll call them !

Caporegime
Trainers/boots, jeans/chino, t-shirt/polo.

Pretty simple.

Plain t-shirts/polos. Good simple clean trainers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQYI6AqgEF0/?taken-by=thepacman82

Wish I could be bothered to dress as well as this guy.

that seems a bit meh...

though I wasn't asking what is casual - I was asking what the other poster would have suggested for footwear... he was happy to criticise but not to offer suggestions. Trainers weren't an option either.

Soldato
For casual these days I basically live in a pair of burgundy Clarkes rubber soles brogue boots, never under or over dressed unless you're at black tie :) my first foray into boots so didn't want to spend herring or barker money but I'm absolutely sold on them and will replace them with something like the below when I wear them out

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/burgh-rubber_brogue-boot/dark-tan-calf

Man of Honour
I'm looking for a versatile Spring jacket. Something that's smart enough to wear to the pub or the office, but protective enough to withstand a windy wet day in a dismal city centre.

Essential:
Water proof/resistant
Reasonably warm (ie nothing anorak-like)
Dark colour
Not an "adventure" brand like North Face

I only have a budget of £50 as I won't wear this often. Suggestions?

Man of Honour
I'm looking for a versatile Spring jacket. Something that's smart enough to wear to the pub or the office, but protective enough to withstand a windy wet day in a dismal city centre.

Essential:
Water proof/resistant
Reasonably warm (ie nothing anorak-like)
Dark colour
Not an "adventure" brand like North Face

I only have a budget of £50 as I won't wear this often. Suggestions?

My go to for that kind of use are M65 jackets - can get some that are "fashion" rather than "tacticool" styled, have a thermal layer you can zip in and out if the weather changes and while they aren't the most waterproof they'll stand upto an hour of moderate rain no problem. (though some of the cheaper ones might skimp on the thermal layer :S).

Man of Honour
Need more detail - if you are just turning up once most of its said and done, maybe light snacks and a bit of a dance or whatever then I'd go trousers or smart jeans, reasonably smart shirt and tie - if its more of a formal meal and other events like more photographs, etc. then suited.

Back
Top Bottom