Retro console and games thread

Underboss
After watching videos from My Life In Gaming, I've been looking at getting a NES (not nes mini)
and i did not realise that one of my all time Arcade games is only available on the NES (PAL region) and its call "Kung Fu" (or Kung Fu Master)

I've been looking into it and correct me if i am wrong,
Other than Computers and the Atari 2600/7800,

Kung Fu Master was only available on the NES in the UK (PAL)

but in Japan, it was known as "Spartan X" and is available on :

Sega Saturn (not as a stand alone game it was in a compilation called "Irem Arcade Classics")
Famicom
Playstation (not as a stand alone game it was in a compilation called "Irem Arcade Classics")

does that sound about right ?

so i will need to buy a jap saturn, a famicom and a jap PSX and a UK NES in order to complete a collection for the consoles

Looked on ebay

£50+ for the PSX version
£20+ for the Saturn version
£10+ for the Famicom version

£10+ for the NES version

Man of Honour
I'm guessing the Saturn and PlayStation versions will be emulation so you may as well play via MAME or RetroPI

All other versions will be ports to systems with infirior hardware to the arcade cabinet, so won't be as good as the arcade game you remember.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably need an upscaler to get decent image quality.

Take a look at this video about the Analogue NT Mini.

At the minute is a field programmable gate array machine programmed to perform as an NES and Famicom. But the guy who programmed it has written custom firmware that will allow it to run almost any 8 bit system via the SD card slot.

And since the Analogue NT is designed with running on HD TV's via HDMI with the best image quality possible, it's certainly worth looking in to it in the future or other similar systems that use FPGA.

Since these FPGA chips act in exactly the same way as the original hardware it's not emulating the games it's playing them exactly the same way as original hardware.

Just watched that. Not the sort of thing I'd buy, but it's definietly worth the asking price. With constant updates, support of the unit. Not just released then forgotten about so some games work, some don't. Ability to load games from slot, or SD slot..

Underboss
I'm guessing the Saturn and PlayStation versions will be emulation so you may as well play via MAME or RetroPI

All other versions will be ports to systems with infirior hardware to the arcade cabinet, so won't be as good as the arcade game you remember.

oh that's a shame
still, better than nothing i suppose..

Been looking at the saturn again

whats the best solution's without a modded saturn,

will a JAP Saturn work on my LED TV with a step down transformer?

Or just buy a UK saturn and the action replay cartridge to play Jap games?

Soldato
Speaking of emulation.

I just discovered there is a new version of the GPD XD, the GPD WIN.

I thought someone was taking the mickey, but apparently it is a fully fledged portable device based on W10 similar to the GPD XD.

Soldato
oh that's a shame
still, better than nothing i suppose..

Been looking at the saturn again

whats the best solution's without a modded saturn,

will a JAP Saturn work on my LED TV with a step down transformer?

Or just buy a UK saturn and the action replay cartridge to play Jap games?

Modding a Saturn is pretty easy, it's only a bit of soldering. If I can do it then anyone can! There are plenty of step-by-step YouTube vids that show exactly what to do.

IIRC it's one line soldered to a 5v point on the power supply which is then soldered to the modboard, one line from the mod board to the cd pcb and then one line from modthe board to the motherboard.

Soldato
A pal system with an action replay cart will play a Japanese version of the game ok!

Although I've just realised that when talking about modding you and I are talking about different things!

You will need to mod it though to get 60hz

Underboss
A pal system with an action replay cart will play a Japanese version of the game ok!

Although I've just realised that when talking about modding you and I are talking about different things!

You will need to mod it though to get 60hz

so an action replay card on its own wont work ?
reviews seem to say that most games will work, but not all

Soldato
Mbl38wy.jpg

Ignore the PS4 game.. finally after years of searching found this game from my childhood days :) very excited! Quickshot Pro 2 Joystick. Amiga 500 should be here tomorrow.

Soldato
so an action replay card on its own wont work ?
reviews seem to say that most games will work, but not all

An action replay cart will allow you to play original discs from any region but an unmodded pal Saturn will only display USA or Japanese games at 50hz with a smaller screen, not at 60hz. You'll have to mod the Saturn with either a switched or switchless 50/60hz mod to get these foreign games to display correctly. You'll have to mod it further in order to play none original (backup!) discs. I won't discuss that further as even 20 years later I guess it's a dodgy subject.

Back
Top Bottom