The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - As a PC gamer, am I missing something?

Soldato
Ok played a few hours now and I get the scores, is Zelda worth the 10/10's, yes it does for a handheld console no doubt about it. Put it up agasint the likes of TW3 on the PC or Horizon on the PS4 pro for example and it can't compete imo. I completely lack's immersion.
If you want a good experience on a handheld you won't beat this, with my gaming PC and consoles though and the lack of time I have to even play them now I've decided to return my Switch. A handheld console is all it'll ever be nothing ground breaking here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haven't really played a Nintendo game since the SNES. Wouldn't mind trying the switch as I quite like the idea but not at its current price.

It's based on the same chipset as my shield so perhaps some clever person will get it working on that (I can dream) :p

Man of Honour
Absolutely true that graphics dont make a great game. As a topical example, imo Path of Exile is a better game than Diablo 3, despite having worse graphics. Then of course there are indie titles, like Dont Starve, Stardew etc, which are great games.

Theres no doubt that Breath of the Wild for a handheld console is darned good. Dont know about a 10/10 , I think that is a score that can only truly be given after time rather than at release (for any game), but then I am picky about giving max scores for things.

I would say to the OPs question "As a PC Gamer, am I missing something?" , that undoubtedly, yes, as a solely PC gamer it would indeed be easy to miss something by it. Simply because as a PC gamer you DO have titles like Witcher 3 in your playlist and would obviously compare other games to it, to which they would fall up short because Witcher 3 may well be truly worthy of the "Best Game Ever" title. I would certainly say that Breath of Wild is a title which a console gamer IS going to appreciate more.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ok played a few hours now and I get the scores, is Zelda worth the 10/10's, yes it does for a handheld console no doubt about it. Put it up agasint the likes of TW3 on the PC or Horizon on the PS4 pro for example and it can't compete imo. I completely lack's immersion.
If you want a good experience on a handheld you won't beat this, with my gaming PC and consoles though and the lack of time I have to even play them now I've decided to return my Switch. A handheld console is all it'll ever be nothing ground breaking here.

Did you even get as far as getting the glider, or the horse or upgrading yourself and buying stuff from the shops, like better armour etc? Did you unlock 3-4 abilities? Learn recipes and cook stuff, finding hidden areas or paths etc? Sounds like you had a little run around and came to a conclusion. The game actually gets better as you play more. First few hours I felt the game was not as good as I was expecting either, but then it got better and better. For me anyway.

Absolutely true that graphics dont make a great game. As a topical example, imo Path of Exile is a better game than Diablo 3, despite having worse graphics. Then of course there are indie titles, like Dont Starve, Stardew etc, which are great games.

Theres no doubt that Breath of the Wild for a handheld console is darned good. Dont know about a 10/10 , I think that is a score that can only truly be given after time rather than at release (for any game), but then I am picky about giving max scores for things.

I would say to the OPs question "As a PC Gamer, am I missing something?" , that undoubtedly, yes, as a solely PC gamer it would indeed be easy to miss something by it. Simply because as a PC gamer you DO have titles like Witcher 3 in your playlist and would obviously compare other games to it, to which they would fall up short because Witcher 3 may well be truly worthy of the "Best Game Ever" title. I would certainly say that Breath of Wild is a title which a console gamer IS going to appreciate more.
Have you even played it?

Man of Honour
Have you even played it?

No, just watched videos of it. Why? Are you saying that the videos I have seen mean that I am wrong when I say that its darned good for a handheld console? Or are you saying that I am wrong when I say that to a solely PC gamer Witcher 3 would generally be considered better? Or are you saying that I am wrong when I say that a console gamer would generally appreciate Breath of the Wild more than a solely PC gamer? Not sure which it is that you're saying.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No, just watched videos of it. Why? Are you saying that the videos I have seen mean that I am wrong when I say that its darned good for a handheld console? Or are you saying that I am wrong when I say that to a solely PC gamer Witcher 3 would generally be considered better? Or are you saying that I am wrong when I say that a console gamer would generally appreciate Breath of the Wild more than a solely PC gamer? Not sure which it is that you're saying.
I am saying you are coming up with conclusions and saying things without experiencing the game. How can one know if it is a 10 out of 10 game if all you have done is watched a video. You are saying the game is leagues ahead of Witcher 3 without playing it...

Man of Honour
I am saying you are coming up with conclusions and saying things without experiencing the game. How can one know if it is a 10 out of 10 game if all you have done is watched a video. You are saying the game is leagues ahead of Witcher 3 without playing it...

Nope, I'm saying that to a solely PC gamer (which was the OP question) , Witcher 3 would seem leagues ahead of Breath of the Wild (not the other way around).

On the point of the 10/10, thats a personal point, I dont give any game a 10/10 at release as I dont think thats something which can be judged fully until later on, which is exactly what I said in my post. I never said it wasnt a 10/10 or that it was a 10/10.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nope, I'm saying that to a solely PC gamer (which was the OP question) , Witcher 3 would seem leagues ahead of Breath of the Wild (not the other way around).

On the point of the 10/10, thats a personal point, I dont give any game a 10/10 at release as I dont think thats something which can be judged fully until later on, which is exactly what I said in my post. I never said it wasnt a 10/10 or that it was a 10/10.
I am a PC gamer too, and from what I have played so far I can say except for the graphics I am enjoying Zelda Breath of the Wild more than I did Witcher 3 thus far and that was a damned good game I agree. It did not start that way, but more I play Zelda, more I can see why the game is getting such high scores. Bt the way I am not even a huge Zelda fan, the last Zelda game I enjoyed a lot was Ocarina of Time.

As for your 10/10 comment, fair enough.

I cannot say for sure if Zelda Breath of the Wild is better than Witcher 3 as a game until I have completed it. But from what I have seen so far it is easy for me to say Wither 3 is not leagues ahead of it.

Man of Honour
I am a PC gamer too, and from what I have played so far I can say except for the graphics I am enjoying Zelda Breath of the Wild more than I did Witcher 3 thus far and that was a damned good game I agree. It did not start that way, but more I play Zelda, more I can see why the game is getting such high scores. Bt the way I am not even a huge Zelda fan, the last Zelda game I enjoyed a lot was Ocarina of Time.

As for your 10/10 comment, fair enough.

I cannot say for sure if Zelda Breath of the Wild is better than Witcher 3 as a game until I have completed it. But from what I have seen so far it is easy for me to say Wither 3 is not leagues ahead of it.

Thats for you, obviously I am speaking generally of PC gamers rather than a specific individual. Perhaps , in order to see if my opinion that PC gamers would rate Witcher 3 higher than Breath of the Wild , I should start a poll asking simply : Better game, Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild? and see how the forum votes? Clearly you would vote that Breath is a better game than Witcher 3, but I wonder how many others would agree. Lets find out !! :D

Probably the best way to provide proof of my assumptions, or to prove I am an idiot :)

All of my thoughts , invalid or valid, are in direct response to the OPs actual question about whether or not , as a PC gamer, he was missing something about the hype for the game. To which my thoughts were that yes, a PC gamer, who has played something like Witcher 3, would indeed look at Breath of the Wild and wonder what the fuss was about. I maintain that is a perfectly reasonable, and probably widely correct, viewpoint.

Last edited:
Soldato
Witcher 3 has brilliant writing, characters, dialogues in addition to beautiful immersive world.

Zelda has more physics based gameplay, dungeons, puzzles, no emphasis on story.

Different games with different design goals. Personally I vastly prefer mature storydriven games - so for me, Zelda can never compete with New Vegas, Witcher 3, Bloodlines, Deus Ex etc.

But different people will prefer Zelda and hey, good for them. And if more devs get inspired by the good things from both these games, good for everyone.

Associate
You can compare Zelda to any game you like. Still doesn't change that fact it's an incredible game. Yes you are missing out.I'm fortunate to have a Top PC (titan xp sli)and most of the consoles. If a games good, I will play it on any format. Enjoyed The Witcher as well.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thats for you, obviously I am speaking generally of PC gamers rather than a specific individual. Perhaps , in order to see if my opinion that PC gamers would rate Witcher 3 higher than Breath of the Wild , I should start a poll asking simply : Better game, Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild? and see how the forum votes? Clearly you would vote that Breath is a better game than Witcher 3, but I wonder how many others would agree. Lets find out !! :D

Probably the best way to provide proof of my assumptions, or to prove I am an idiot :)

All of my thoughts , invalid or valid, are in direct response to the OPs actual question about whether or not , as a PC gamer, he was missing something about the hype for the game. To which my thoughts were that yes, a PC gamer, who has played something like Witcher 3, would indeed look at Breath of the Wild and wonder what the fuss was about. I maintain that is a perfectly reasonable, and probably widely correct, viewpoint.
Judging by your reply, I do not even think you understand what I am saying. You are just projecting. Just the fact you are even suggesting we make a poll is laughable.

Oh and no, I would not vote Zelda is better, I need to play a lot more, even complete it before I can say for sure. All I know now is as a "PC Gamer" I am really enjoying and can 100% say Witcher 3 is not leagues ahead as a game. Lets just leave it there for now ;)

You can compare Zelda to any game you like. Still doesn't change that fact it's an incredible game. Yes you are missing out.I'm fortunate to have a Top PC (titan xp sli)and most of the consoles. If a games good, I will play it on any format. Enjoyed The Witcher as well.

Well said.

Soldato
tbh its a nostalgia thing, if you were the right age, at the right time, with the right machine it'll just recapture those enjoyable moments of first falling in love with a game. like goldeneye, spyro or morrowind. its just that nintendo are the kings of floating a company on people's nostalgia.

if you approach it now, with fresh eyes and used to other things of course its not going to be all that.

Man of Honour
Judging by your reply, I do not even think you understand what I am saying. You are just projecting. Just the fact you are even suggesting we make a poll is laughable.

Oh and no, I would not vote Zelda is better, I need to play a lot more, even complete it before I can say for sure. All I know now is as a "PC Gamer" I am really enjoying and can 100% say Witcher 3 is not leagues ahead as a game. Lets just leave it there for now ;)

Well I'm not sure what I'm projecting ! It seems that neither of us understand what the other is saying because all I was saying was that Zelda is darned good for the platform its on and that the OP is right that he wondered if he was missing something due to him being a PC gamer and comparing it with PC titles. It was me who felt that by questioning whether I had even played it , you had seemingly got defensive over something I had said about Zelda, whereas I cant really see anywhere that I slated Zelda. Perhaps my feeling that you had got over defensive about a perceived slight on a game you like, had in turn made me over defensive about a perceived slight on my own thoughts of the OPs musings.

So as it appears there has been misunderstanding on both parties, I agree, lets just leave it there.

To add, yes they are both very different games, even though you could lump 'em together under the 'open world' tag. Different strokes for different folks n' all that. Don't wanna rat on the Witcher too much, but I (personally) thought that game was kinda dire, except for the aforementioned writing and characters. To further my post from the previous pages, Zelda offers the more provoking experience, for me personally.

To give some context (and hopefully this isn't too spoiler-y, though the game makes this wholly apparent within the first minute), the first thing I did was to try and infiltrate the final level (for all intents and purposes) of the game, because the game allows you as a player to do that. Hopefully that gives you some idea about the level of freeform design that game offers.

In contrast to something like the Witcher 3 for example, you have to go from one story beat to another, and repeating the same 'process' that entails (from cut scene, to quest log, to roach, to fast travel, to roach gain, to holding button to see red glow-y thing, to combat, to cut scene again.) Obviously this problem isn't mutually exclusive to the Witcher (basically every 'open world' game suffers from this, that Horizon Zero Dawn game felt even worse...), and I'm not saying what your experience during that game-play loop was necessarily bad, but it just doesn't do anything for me, unless it really, really excels (Vampire Bloodlines, for example.) That kinda stuff can be experience just as well in a book, etc., whereas BotW offers something that only games can offer (interactivity, sense of discovery, whatever...), which is why many people are so invested in it (just because it has 'poor' graphics doesn't mean it can be immersive.)

And yeah, might as well stated too that I'm not a fan of the Zelda games either, only really played Zelda 3 and Majora's Mask, haven't bothered with anything inbetween up until this point :D

Soldato
To add, yes they are both very different games, even though you could lump 'em together under the 'open world' tag. Different strokes for different folks n' all that. Don't wanna rat on the Witcher too much, but I (personally) thought that game was kinda dire, except for the aforementioned writing and characters. To further my post from the previous pages, Zelda offers the more provoking experience, for me personally.

To give some context (and hopefully this isn't too spoiler-y, though the game makes this wholly apparent within the first minute), the first thing I did was to try and infiltrate the final level (for all intents and purposes) of the game, because the game allows you as a player to do that. Hopefully that gives you some idea about the level of freeform design that game offers.

In contrast to something like the Witcher 3 for example, you have to go from one story beat to another, and repeating the same 'process' that entails (from cut scene, to quest log, to roach, to fast travel, to roach gain, to holding button to see red glow-y thing, to combat, to cut scene again.) Obviously this problem isn't mutually exclusive to the Witcher (basically every 'open world' game suffers from this, that Horizon Zero Dawn game felt even worse...), and I'm not saying what your experience during that game-play loop was necessarily bad, but it just doesn't do anything for me, unless it really, really excels (Vampire Bloodlines, for example.) That kinda stuff can be experience just as well in a book, etc., whereas BotW offers something that only games can offer (interactivity, sense of discovery, whatever...), which is why many people are so invested in it (just because it has 'poor' graphics doesn't mean it can be immersive.)

And yeah, might as well stated too that I'm not a fan of the Zelda games either, only really played Zelda 3 and Majora's Mask, haven't bothered with anything inbetween up until this point :D

Suffers :D

Yeah every game, movie, book, and TV Show that attempt to tell interesting and emotional story "suffer" from "forcing" the person to actually go through its story beats. So terrible, we should just skip to the end and be done with it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Yea, but the graphics are crap, Witcher 3 has awesome graphics which apparently make it immersive! :p

On a serious note, I think playing it as much as I have at this point I can say this: As long as one does not let graphics get in the way (I actually like the art style and graphics anyway), then yes as a PC gamer you definitely are missing something by not playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I felt exactly the same with The Last of Us also by the way, had to borrow a friends PS4 to play it, but I am so glad I did.

Associate
Neither the Switch or Zelda appeal to me, but its nice to see it's living up to the hype for fans of the series.

Not seeing the comparison to the Witcher 3 though? Seems to be quite a different game

Man of Honour
Neither the Switch or Zelda appeal to me, but its nice to see it's living up to the hype for fans of the series.

Not seeing the comparison to the Witcher 3 though? Seems to be quite a different game

There isnt a direct comparison, I mentioned Witcher 3 first, I did so because I was discussing how the OP had said that some billing of Zelda was "best game ever", I made mention of Witcher 3 on PC as it was a title that I felt could also warrant the title of "best game ever" and in a discussion between a console gamer and a PC gamer as to what is the best game ever, might potentially be a PC game which would be brought forward as a candidate for that title, thats the only place the comparison came from. Its just that since that original mention of it, its kind of rolled down the hill into a bigger bomb that was originally intended :)

Back
Top Bottom