• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4Ghz versus Ryzen 1800X?

Soldato
I currently have an Intel i7 3930k running at 4.4Ghz and I am very happy with it. It seems to run everything I throw at it just fine but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 1800X.

I'm just wondering what sort of difference I would see between the two CPUs? I don't game as much as I used to. In fact the only two games I really care about haven't come out yet and they are Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen and Chronicles of Elyria. I'm mainly doing productivity stuff. Programming, video editing, and basic office / browser and email usage.

So do you think I'll see a decent improvement if I go ahead and upgrade? I'll be buying premium components so I shouldn't bottleneck anywhere. Hopefully the cooler I am planning on getting will allow me to overclock the system nicely.

Soldato
I currently have an Intel i7 3930k running at 4.4Ghz and I am very happy with it. It seems to run everything I throw at it just fine but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 1800X.

I'm just wondering what sort of difference I would see between the two CPUs? I don't game as much as I used to. In fact the only two games I really care about haven't come out yet and they are Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen and Chronicles of Elyria. I'm mainly doing productivity stuff. Programming, video editing, and basic office / browser and email usage.

So do you think I'll see a decent improvement if I go ahead and upgrade? I'll be buying premium components so I shouldn't bottleneck anywhere. Hopefully the cooler I am planning on getting will allow me to overclock the system nicely.

Interestingly I asked Brad directly about Pantheon and support for DX12 and Multithreaded, as Unity supports it. He said most definitely they would like to future proof it by adding both but their priorities were to get the game developed first, but it is something they are keen to do, he knows to be the first MMORPG to add support for both would be a good selling point.

So sounds like Pantheon will be natively DX11 but may have a DX12 renderer. I think for many games that MMO's would benefit the most from both DX12 and Multithreaded support due to the nature of being inherently CPU bound

With regards to the 1800X, it's a waste of money over the 1700, your better off with the 1700 and manually Overclocking it as it seems the 1700 chips are binned to fit the 65w envelope were as the 1700X and 1800X are more leaky and thus run hotter while not exactly giving any more grunt

Soldato
The 1800x will be a lot faster for productivity and will make use of all the 8 Cores so I would say upgrade. So far the 1800x is not the best overclocker it seems from early reviews/benchmarks. I've purchased the 1800x because at this moment i'm not interested in overclocking it and will be running it at stock.

If you want to save money and get the same sort speeds as the 1800+ get the 1700 and overclocker it :)

Soldato
If your usage involves anything but a bit of casual gaming, I would wait a few weeks for the Microsoft patch and BIOS and microcode updates to see where Ryzen ends up. Otherwise, Ryzen will be much better at multitasking or any sort of heavy lifting workloads.

It'll still be £320 + >£100 + >£100 for a full system upgrade though so bear that in mind.

Soldato
OP
Thank you all for the replies :). Thing is I want to give my current computer to my Dad so I could kill two birds with one stone by upgrading now. I think I'll go for it. I've been wanting a new computer for ages now and if I don't buy now I'll have to wait until the second half of the year for the new high end Intel chips which will probably be more expensive anyway. I've been saving for this computer for about 5 years so I should be able to get something good.

Associate
I still remember my old 3930k @ 4.7 GHz (with a single threaded score on Cinebench R15 of 165 or so) being schooled by World of Warcraft and reduced to single figure fps in Pandaria in 40-man open world raids. Not a pretty sight. Probably won't be much different on Ryzen as IPC-wise at stock, an 1800x at stock clocks gets 161 on single threaded Cinebench R15 (according to Anandtech).

Still, many games are far less CPU dependent these days and good to hear upcoming MMOs are going to utilise threads well. From a productivity point of view, Ryzen will be a massive step up compared to an overclocked 3930k, provided you can use the 16 threads.

Soldato
I'm switching from a 4930K but not expecting massive gains in single threaded application, I was more interested in an extra two cores, all the additional connectivity that X79 lacks, and of course an end to the X79 stability issues with Windows 10 1607 and later (which are now mandatory updates :()

Soldato
I'm switching from a 4930K but not expecting massive gains in single threaded application, I was more interested in an extra two cores, all the additional connectivity that X79 lacks, and of course an end to the X79 stability issues with Windows 10 1607 and later (which are now mandatory updates :()
I think you'll do alright, i've got a 4.0/4.1 1700 pegged at the equivalent of a 5930k @ 4.3, add in nvme drives and other features overall you'll see an improvement.

can still get some cash for your 4930k (or make it into server)

Soldato
I think you'll do alright, i've got a 4.0/4.1 1700 pegged at the equivalent of a 5930k @ 4.3, add in nvme drives and other features overall you'll see an improvement.

can still get some cash for your 4930k (or make it into server)

I've got NVMe on X79, gonna be moving it over, I really wanted the USB 3.1, U.2 connector, DDR4 and a few other cool things (no, not the RGBs! how dare you think that! *looks shifty*) :)

Associate
Yep im on my second 3930k had one with an asus sabertooth when it first came out and had this one with a iv gene for about 3 years. Was really tempted to upgrade but as good as ryzen is im not seeing anything which is blowing my socks off. Use case is gaming and a bit of programming and nothing out their can justify the upgrade cost just yet. Think I'll hold fire and see if skylake x brings anything to the table and at what cost.

Associate
Interested to see how people get on swapping, i've a 3820 on x79 at 4.3 and umming and arring over Ryzen, will give it a bit longer to see how it all plays out. Really only use it for games with a Fury Pro at the moment.

Soldato

What issues are you having mate? I've been getting windows going to recovery on boot lately but had thought this was due to my OC becoming flakey. What's your experience? Is there other evidence online? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom