*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Xbox One (and Scorpio as soon as it launches) and WiiU (as well as too many older consoles to list including handhelds) here, recently sold my second PS4 due to complete lack of use.

I Was super excited about the Switch before launch, right now I'm glad I didn't pre-order though

I knew from the moment I saw it that it was what I wanted. I don't care if it's not as powerful as the PS4/Xbone I have my PC for when I really care about performance. But for just the fun aspect, the Switch has already excelled for me. I will keep the PS4 for the odd exclusive (though the only games I have on it are Destiny and TLoU which came with it) and with Xbox games coming to Windows I no longer need to invest in a One.

The Switch is the only platform doing something different and I love it for that.

Soldato
A very wise decision! Most critics have coined the console a "Zelda Machine", which is a testament to it's lack of content.
Abiding by Amazon's current pricing, you're looking at £386.99 for the console, pro controller, and a copy of Zelda. You could get a PS4 Pro bundle for that!

Maybe so but if you were playing Zelda like some of us you probably wouldn't be bothered if there were 5 or 50 other games available right now. It really is that damn good.

Associate
This is a discussion forum, is it not? A topic cannot consist solely of purchase validation! There's two sides to every coin.

The reality is I'm fully intent on getting a Switch, but just not right now. The issues which have arisen are disconcerting, and I'm objective enough to realise that Nintendo's practices are questionable of late. One exceptional game does not negate that!

In short, the console has a number of teething issues that need to be addressed before I go spending my hard-earned cash on it.

But all you are doing is bashing it, I have one and have ZERO issues, same as many others, I personally think it is worth the asking price for Zelda, amazing amazing game, I spent more time on Zelda last weekend than my PS4 pro in total since buying it at launch, I am looking forward to Mario Kart next month as I never played it on the Wii U, that will keep me going for some time, maybe it is me but all you are doing is bashing the console, I could understand it if you had bought one and were having issues but that is not the case, you are posting all these negative comment without having experienced any of them yourself.

Soldato
But all you are doing is bashing it, I have one and have ZERO issues, same as many others, I personally think it is worth the asking price for Zelda, amazing amazing game, I spent more time on Zelda last weekend than my PS4 pro in total since buying it at launch, I am looking forward to Mario Kart next month as I never played it on the Wii U, that will keep me going for some time, maybe it is me but all you are doing is bashing the console, I could understand it if you had bought one and were having issues but that is not the case, you are posting all these negative comment without having experienced any of them yourself.

Well said.

I do need to return a couple of items though, my official case has a weird glue like mark on the screen protector flap in the case, left a horrible residue on the top right corner of my screen. Thought I'd done something but after cleaning it appeared again and was only then I checked the inside of the case. Picking up a Hori one from Argos tomorrow, Nintendo one looks nicer I think but want a harder case for travelling.

Also pro controller going back to Amazon, they charged me £65 but is now £60, asked to refund difference but they won't and said I could order another and return the original... I said how does that make any sense, it must cost them to collect, ship, store, check and then relist as b-grade stock?

Soldato
A very wise decision! Most critics have coined the console a "Zelda Machine", which is a testament to it's lack of content.
Abiding by Amazon's current pricing, you're looking at £386.99 for the console, pro controller, and a copy of Zelda. You could get a PS4 Pro bundle for that!

You'd be better off with a X1S, cheaper and more useful in a lounge environment.

PS4 pro is overpriced rubbish, waah waah!

Soldato
Why are you posting constantly slating the console if you do not own one and have no interest in currently doing so? you seemed to be obsessed with putting it down, I own a switch and it is a perfect compliment to my PS4 Pro and so far zero problems with it!

It's because the same children who love cod / Fifa also love PlayStation. So we get all the bedroom warriors slating anything that isn't "maximum graphics!"

What's sad is that so many are missing out on Zelda, which easily outclasses the vast majority of games on both PlayStation and Xbox.

Associate
You'd be better off with a X1S, cheaper and more useful in a lounge environment.

PS4 pro is overpriced rubbish, waah waah!

For the record, I don't have a PS4 Pro. It was simply a price comparison. My son has an Xbox One S, however. :p

Getting back to the Switch, people on the GameFAQs forums, NeoGAF and Reddit are reporting problems with Wi-Fi connectivity. Polygon have posted an article about it here.

Soldato
It's because the same children who love cod / Fifa also love PlayStation. So we get all the bedroom warriors slating anything that isn't "maximum graphics!"

Irony is that if you want 'maximum graphics' the Playstation is not where you should be putting your hard earned.

How many predominately PC games have got a Switch? And also how many gamers who mostly use Xbox/PS have one?

I'll be getting a switch, solely a PC gamer here haven't owned a console since the PS1 but the switch does something that none of the others do and as I travel a lot with work it's ideal for me.

Associate
Irony is that if you want 'maximum graphics' the Playstation is not where you should be putting your hard earned.

Hence the fact I have a fairly competent PC. ;)

What's sad is that so many are missing out on Zelda, which easily outclasses the vast majority of games on both PlayStation and Xbox.

I'm inclined to agree that Zelda is an exceptional game! I'm a huge fan of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, both of which I own on the 3DS.
I must admit my confidence in Nintendo has somewhat lessened of late, although I'm adamant that the teething issues will be remedied with the next revision, in which case I will happily buy one. :)

Associate
I find the "ps4 pro for similar price" argument funny
I have an xbox one, gamecube, wii (not u) and now the Switch
In the past 6 months i have played my wii far more than the xbox one and the reason is the type of games
Im no fanboy and i have more xbox games than nintendo titles put together

yeah rise of the tomb raider looked and played ok, but was it fun to play?

Gears of war franchise, my favourite shooter its dark and gritty and put a lot of hours into it, but was that fun to play?
Etc

The type of games that nintendo produce are in a league of their own
Jeez i still play smash bros on my gamecube

People moan about switch launch games but the switch as more games available to get that i wanted than when the xbox one launched, i think i only got battlefield with mine and i only got killzone when the PS4 launched

Ok the switch as its initial issues, i have even purchased a sheet of a self adhesive felt to cut some runners for where the switch slides in, although i have not encountered a scratch issue, for £1.99 id rather prevent a possible issue going forward

Also having worked in quality control for many years, i think a lot of the issues are minor
Always going to get some failures on a mass produced product, especially where plastic is involved (dock)
The joycon disconnect issue sounds like it could be down to its placement within the casing but could also be down to faulty antenna

Associate
How many predominately PC games have got a Switch? And also how many gamers who mostly use Xbox/PS have one?

I mainly PC game (top end PC with GTX1080 etc) and then, mainly MMOs or PVP (overwatch etc) based games and bought a switch at launch. Tbh, I have a soft spot for Nintendo, so tend to buy most of their consoles.

Soldato
I'm only asking as it seems the people who bought them aren't fussed about graphics or THE POWAH and in this thread it seems to be the PC gamers who see the positives.

Caporegime
Does the audio out still work on the switch when docked?

I wouldn't mind using my DAC rather than my TV amplifier (which is awful) and the only other option is some sort of HDMI sound splitter.

Back
Top Bottom