• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
It will be all run at stock since its bioinformatics type stuff,which runs for days at a time,maybe longer.

Although its not really required,do any motherboards support ECC memory,as IIRC the Ryzen IMC does support it(I think)?? If it doesn't its not a biggie since it is silly money anyway.

Yes a strange one with ECC ..it states with some boards it supports them but there is a * and then states will not run in ECC mode so pointless really ...but have a scout round it may have changed ..

Associate
Just saw the price of ECC DDR4,vomit!! :eek:

If its bioinformatics type stuff and is on for days and the data is really important then my choice would be full ECC support needed ...But I have builds here that do render runs for a few days and that's on normal ram but i have the speed and timings very relaxed on them when i do so
..and if it does crash its not major i just rerun but most of the time problems down to power outage but its rare i am on ups modded with 3 deep cell solar batteries ..this should give me a good 3 to 5 hours

Associate
they really hit the roof above 4 ghz re volts be interesting how much its pulling from the wall ....3.8 seems to be the sweet spot

Yeah, 3.9 is at 1.32, 4.0 need 1.4ish then 4.1 need 1.5ish. Big jumps for it all to be completely stable on realbench. Cinebench and that can run at much lower volts but its not truly stable of course.

Soldato
4.1Ghz on sub 1.5v. Details in sig under CPU-Z valid
Does the Tomahawk supports bus overclocking, to raise the bus and lower the multiplier? Because that jump in power between 3.9 and 4.1 reminds me the X79 boards.
They did the same thing when we tried to OC straight on with strap 1.00, needing more power.
While with 1.25 strap, were able to get better overclocking for less power somehow.Adding up bit more power to the VRAM and all was working nicely with the
And X79 was a pretty much mature tech by 2013.

Associate
Does the Tomahawk supports BLC overclocking, to raise the bus and lower the multiplier? Because that jump in power between 3.9 and 4.1 reminds me the X79 boards.
They did the same thing when we tried to OC straight on with strap 1.00, needing more power.
While with 1.25 strap, were able to get better overclocking for less power somehow. And X79 was a pretty much mature tech by 2013.

No, at the moment the bios is missing lots of features. I have been following the MSI forums for beta bios which are now bring bigger updates each time.

V1 biss took 60 seconds from press the on button to getting the windows loading screen! LOL. Now is much much less.

Soldato
If its bioinformatics type stuff and is on for days and the data is really important then my choice would be full ECC support needed ...But I have builds here that do render runs for a few days and that's on normal ram but i have the speed and timings very relaxed on them when i do so
..and if it does crash its not major i just rerun but most of the time problems down to power outage but its rare i am on ups modded with 3 deep cell solar batteries ..this should give me a good 3 to 5 hours

Well TBH,he is running stuff currently on a Phenom II X6 rig I built for him a few years ago with 16GB of normal DDR3,which has lasted a few years and has been very solid indeed. Its more for stuff he does in his spare time(LOL).

Associate
Well TBH,he is running stuff currently on a Phenom II X6 rig I built for him a few years ago with 16GB of normal DDR3,which has lasted a few years and has been very solid indeed. Its more for stuff he does in his spare time(LOL).

Yes he should be fine with mere peasant ddr 4 ram my advice is just memtest+ the hell out of em but run in the system there going to be used in for about 10 + loops

Associate
It's under MIT -> Advanced Voltage settings(?) then the first option is Vcore.

It's an offset voltage so setting it to +.102 for example will give you around 1.3v

Yes was having a moment of idiocy. Though after chatting to a gigabyte support rep. They were saying there wasn't and it was a hardware limitation. They also handed me a F6a bios which seems to of added to the performance a little.

Associate
Can't get my 16gb Corsair LPX 3000mhz kit above 2400 with the MSI tomahawk board. Anyone else had better luck with this board and can possibly help? What's the safe max DRAM voltage for Ryzen?

Associate
Can't get my 16gb Corsair LPX 3000mhz kit above 2400 with the MSI tomahawk board. Anyone else had better luck with this board and can possibly help? What's the safe max DRAM voltage for Ryzen?

You should be getting the stated speed and timings at the normal 1.35 volts, if not you'd probably be best off waiting for a bios update than over-volting the ram as that's unlikely to help.

Associate
You should be getting the stated speed and timings at the normal 1.35 volts, if not you'd probably be best off waiting for a bios update than over-volting the ram as that's unlikely to help.

The RAM is 15-17-17-35 @ 1.35v. Won't boot set as XMP. Won't boot when set manually at 2400/2666 or 2933 all with 1.35v. It will only boot at 2400 @ 1.380, but scared to push more as I don't know the voltage limits. The boards default setting is 2133 @ 1.2v and it works fine at that.

Looks like waiting for a BIOS update :(

Back
Top Bottom