Sliding filters...Lee? Or others?

Soldato
Yes, according to Brendan's long exposure tests the EM5-II's sensor does perform very well! (i.e. no purple shadow issue as the Canon) I can't be sure but I guess it features a Sony CMOS sensor.

Also, one fantastic thing with the Olympus mirrorless is that you could watch the live progress of the long exposure and know when to stop - and this feature is hardly found in any other brand! No more need to calculate for miss and hit for the correct exposure!

Just don't forget to disable image stabilisation for long exposure.

UiAX9h2.jpg

Caporegime
OP
It's possible I am being dim. But whats the difference between the last 2 squares in the row? both 300second exposures annd +5 stops but one is unusable and the other is fine?!

Soldato
I believe the second last column is 100% zoom, and the last column is an overview of the whole frame.

Keep in mind that +5EV push in post-processing is very harsh for long exposure, even for the best Sony CMOS sensor so far.

Caporegime
OP
Ahhhh ok that makes sense. Yes pushing +5EV is the very extreme, don't think I've ever done that!

This has made me really excited. Especially to see my camera can really excel at this task ahead. :)

Caporegime
The Sony sensors Olympus camera perform at least as well as the Canon APS-C sensors and in some aspects macth sensors like the FF Canon 5DMk3 for Dynamic nagger. There are of course differences in resolution and diffraction limits but the m43 sensor punch well above their weight.

Also, the much vaulted Fuji sensors are actually Sony exmor, just with a different color filter.

Soldato
For anyone with the 100mm system by Lee. I got mine today, I know it's meant to rotate on the adapter so you can align it if using an nd grad filter.. But it seems to rotate very easily and move around a bit.

Normal? I guess I'd expect there to be a bit more resistance so when walking it isn't just spinning around almost.

Caporegime
For anyone with the 100mm system by Lee. I got mine today, I know it's meant to rotate on the adapter so you can align it if using an nd grad filter.. But it seems to rotate very easily and move around a bit.

Normal? I guess I'd expect there to be a bit more resistance so when walking it isn't just spinning around almost.

You are not meant to walk around with it, its a tripod/landscape tool really.

Soldato
You are not meant to walk around with it, its a tripod/landscape tool really.
Of course, not planning to walk around with a 10 stop nd filter on :)! But leaving it on the camera on the tripod while moving around a bit to change composition or whatever. I'm sure it's mine and just be expecting it to not move much.

Hopefully the weather holds up at the weekend so I can go and test it out :)

Soldato

No. When I relocate without taking off my 10-stop ND filter, it doesn't rotate freely. As you say, there's a bit of resistance.

Soldato
Same.
It will rotate easy enough, but stay in the orientation I leave it, even when I'm jumping off rocks with everything still attached.

Do you have the lee holder a lee adapter ring?
Yeah a lee holder and adapter ring. I guess I was just expecting it to not rotate much :)

The weather was garbage over the weekend, total overcast so I didn't go out and try to use my big stopper...Fingers crossed for this weekend.

Associate
As an alternative I can thoroughly recommend Formatt HiTech Firecrest filters ; I use the 100mm x 100mm filters for both my Fuji mirrorless and Nikon full frame cameras. Lee filters are great too, but I dislike their arrogant customer support / salespeople.

Associate
Is it ok to use the wide angle adapter ring on my 24-70? Don't want to buy both the standard and the wide ring if the wide one is ok on non wide angle lenses.

Back
Top Bottom