• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen and Gaming results.

Soldato
Also why are people expecting Ryzen to match the 7700k? Where are people getting this from? We've known for over a year that Ryzen will have IPC around Haswell-Broadwell.
Even if clocked 4Ghz - 4Ghz on both, the 7700K should pull ahead on IPC alone; discounting the BIOS, and Scheduler issues.

I simply don't understand where people are getting that from, is it because the 1800X is priced at $500?
Going by price then, why aren't people upset over the 6850K or 6900K losing clock for clock to the 7700K?
It's a tad silly to me. :p

Same reason why the same people first compared rx 480 to 970 and then after actual release complained that it doesn't beat 980ti or 1070...

Seems like people trying to justify their own purchase/beliefs. I think this has been the case ever since the Internet became widely accessible and cheap.

Soldato
Considering they were saying Haswell IPC clocked to 3.2Ghz they way it has turned out and the pricing make it a massive success, if only the motherboards were up to scratch. I dont think there will be much gain by the windows update but i would expect to see DDR4 running above 3000 with bios updates to the Mobos.

Soldato
So difficult to know what to buy, it just makes me sit here with a 3570k hoping that eventually 8 core becomes mainstream and works perfectly, I'm not buying another 4 core chip but not buying 6-8 cores if it doesn't work as intended! DX12 was meant to fix this :(

Soldato
One of my friends works for certain well known tech giant and currently they have a huge team working on quantum computers ( had for last few years) - they actually have working product already but not for mass market... in a 2 or 3 years though all of our current tech could be obsolete anyway.

On a side note, I haven't been following am4 socket much but wouldn't 1700+decent mobo be cheaper than 7700k equivalent?

If you want decent ram speeds then yes. The motherboard side of it is a complete mess at the moment.

Soldato
So difficult to know what to buy, it just makes me sit here with a 3570k hoping that eventually 8 core becomes mainstream and works perfectly, I'm not buying another 4 core chip but not buying 6-8 cores if it doesn't work as intended! DX12 was meant to fix this :(

Just sell your chip and drop in an i7 if you're unsure. Decent boost in minimums on quite a few games now. Pound for pound, it's a very good upgrade just comparing cpus.

Soldato
Just sell your chip and drop in an i7 if you're unsure. Decent boost in minimums on quite a few games now. Pound for pound, it's a very good upgrade just comparing cpus.
Had thought about that but 3770k goes for at least £120, I'd get about £60 for my 3570k and I also want faster RAM. For gaming I'm only noticing slight issues in BF 1 and I mostly only play CS:GO now which gets over 144hz all the time with current setup, Ryzen looks great but really needs to get the gaming performance fixed.

Soldato
Had thought about that but 3770k goes for at least £120, I'd get about £60 for my 3570k and I also want faster RAM. For gaming I'm only noticing slight issues in BF 1 and I mostly only play CS:GO now which gets over 144hz all the time with current setup, Ryzen looks great but really needs to get the gaming performance fixed.

Even if you have to spend £80-100 it's worth it relative to the gains and cost of new ram, board and cpu. Probably new windows as well if you're oem. That kind of money won't even buy you 16gb of decent ddr4 for a new setup.

Soldato
Seems like people trying to justify their own purchase/beliefs.

That I never get as well, justify it to whom? Themselves?
Surely now that Ryzen is out it in no way makes their current system worse, not better. It's the same performance it was when they bought it.

I couldn't imagine getting annoyed that Ryzen's 1700 clocked at 4Ghz is better than my 5820K at 4Ghz, or if it was cheaper and matching the 6900K if I had one.

All seems a tad silly to me. :p

On the gaming note!

Seems if you want the best gaming experience and don't want to wait for Microsoft to update Windows 10, just use 7 and get a 21% increase in minimum FPS in CS:GO; or a 300% increase in Minimums in Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Last edited:
Soldato
Considering they were saying Haswell IPC clocked to 3.2Ghz they way it has turned out and the pricing make it a massive success, if only the motherboards were up to scratch. I dont think there will be much gain by the windows update but i would expect to see DDR4 running above 3000 with bios updates to the Mobos.

Thats what i am waiting for to make a final decision memory speed, bios and windows update. The original intel ht needed a Windows update to work effectively.

Soldato
That I never get as well, justify it to whom? Themselves?
Surely now that Ryzen is out it in no way makes their current system worse, not better. It's the same performance it was when they bought it.

I couldn't imagine getting annoyed that Ryzen's 1700 clocked at 4Ghz is better than my 5820K at 4Ghz, or if it was cheaper and matching the 6900K if I had one.

All seems a tad silly to me. :p

On the gaming note!

Seems if you want the best gaming experience and don't want to wait for Microsoft to update Windows 10, just use 7 and get a 21% increase in minimum FPS in CS:GO; or a 300% increase in Minimums in Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Why is it performing so much better in Win 7. What is the technical reason?

Soldato
Why is it performing so much better in Win 7. What is the technical reason?

My bet is on the Windows 10 scheduler still. Windows 7 was around when Core 2 Duo/Quad was around, and Ryzen's double CCX on die is reminiscent of those to some extent.
Windows 7 also doesn't shuffle thread workloads around as much as 10; so it looks like it's causing a lot of issues, and extra latency.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-performance-negatively-affected-windows-10-scheduler-bug/

Soldato
I feel like people are going mad. Hardly any of this discussion makes sense to me. I'm going to do something I rarely do, and argue by analogy.

To me it seems like Toyota was selling a 4x4 for £24,000 for years and then Land Rover unexpectedly released one that was equivalent or better for £12,000. And then some people started complaining that they took the new Land Rover to a race track for the day and put it against a smaller sports car by Toyota and then started bashing on the 4x4 for not being as fast. And the kicker being that after the track day they take them out onto the roads and have to drive at the speed limit all day long with both of them! The speed limit, in this analogy, being the GPU that is the bottleneck in 98% of real world cases, of course.

It is an 8c/16t chip for less than half the price of Intel's 8c/6t chips. That's amazing. But if you ARE someone who is solely, and purely, interested in gaming all the time (including them not being interested in streaming or recording those games!), then it still matches the Intel equivalent because the difference is marginal and masked by your GPU. Plus in compensation you get greatly expanded future potential and also know that with further optimisations, it's going to continue to improve steadily over the coming months through both optimizations to the OS (guaranteed); optimizations for existing games (dependent on the game but recent and popular games have a good chance, older games less so but they already have lower hardware requirements so it doesn't matter); and newer games will be developed against it anyway.

None of this hysteria about this makes sense to me. Why would someone choose "good enough", when they can have "good enough, plus getting better, plus much more capable in other areas" for the same price? People seem to have really weird expectations of this chip. Plus you can get a 1700 and clock it up near where the 1800X is anyway. People are crazy. Is it just Intel damage control out in force?

Last edited:
Soldato
It is an 8c/16t chip for less than half the price of Intel's 8c/16t chips. That's amazing.
Plus you can get a 1700 and clock it up near where the 1800X is anyway. People are crazy. Is it just Intel damage control out in force?

As someone that does more than just gaming, and would love more cores Ryzen is a steal!
Here's the pricing from Caseking compared to Intel's equivalent, and they're a tad higher as well due to low stock.

Even though the 6900K can overclock more, it doesn't offset the ridiculous price difference.
The 1700 will easily reach 4Ghz on the included stock cooler alone.

The performance for price is unbeatable. That is of course if you're not solely gaming and nothing else. In that case just get the best Quadcore for your money; and once Ryzen R5 is out I believe those will be fantastic performance to price as well.

15e9jsa.png

Back
Top Bottom