Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Funny history hasn't changed until recently. Back in the day, Megadrive MK 1, Mastersystem MK 1, Original PSX, PS3, PSP, even the Vita. The better models were the first ones compared to the cheaper revisions which where lacking features. Only now with the Scorpio and PS4 Pro that has changed.

Associate
nice mate
Metroid !! :)

im currently winning a NES on the bay :)

I bought a megadrive 1 as per barmy recommendation , one with the high definition on it
and the RF cable they sent me is too small to fit the A/V socket, could it be for a MK2 ?

ive ordered the proper scart lead, just wanted to test the machine out to make sure it works

Good luck with the NES!

I've got Zelda 1 and 2 on my watch list at the minute.

Megadrive 1 wise I've got one now but originally had a mk2. I seem to remember the rf cable looking really similar to a s-video cable but smaller. You might have been given one of those instead of the cable you need.

Man of Honour
nice mate
Metroid !! :)

im currently winning a NES on the bay :)

I bought a megadrive 1 as per barmy recommendation , one with the high definition on it
and the RF cable they sent me is too small to fit the A/V socket, could it be for a MK2 ?

ive ordered the proper scart lead, just wanted to test the machine out to make sure it works

Yes the MK2 has different AV out.

Funny history hasn't changed until recently. Back in the day, Megadrive MK 1, Mastersystem MK 1, Original PSX, PS3, PSP, even the Vita. The better models were the first ones compared to the cheaper revisions which where lacking features. Only now with the Scorpio and PS4 Pro that has changed.

As far as features are concerned I'd agree for the most part. But the slim PS3 was smaller, quieter and cooler than the original without loosing any features. Unless you count the PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility.

PS2 slim added Ethernet port and IR sensor for the remote. Xbox 360 slim added HDMI and ran cooler and quieter. Was more reliable too.

Picked up Dreamcast today.

Swapped it for a modded original Xbox fully loaded with Coin Ops 7 etc. The Xbox cost me £40 last August so this lot cost me £40.
VMU works fine and it also included the Dreamcast steering wheel.

Man of Honour
so the MK2 megadrive has an s-video size a/v out

Yes, same one as the 32X. I don't think it is actaully S Video though.

The MK1 Master System and MK1 Mega Drive share the same AV out.

Mk1 Mega Drive also uses a different AC power in to the MK2. Again the MK1 Master System and MK1 Mega Drive share the same AC adapters.

Associate
Mbl38wy.jpg

Ignore the PS4 game.. finally after years of searching found this game from my childhood days :) very excited! Quickshot Pro 2 Joystick. Amiga 500 should be here tomorrow.

That joy stick will be break within a few days, i had loads but of them :D

How have i not seen this thread before!

Associate
The competition pro joy sticks were the best IMO, i went through enough in my Amiga days and these always lasted.

The one above was hard to hold in your hands, need a table and the travel distance was faaaaaaaaaaar..

Underboss
I bought these a few years back and so I've been able to open NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System and Mega Drive cartidges. As well as SNES and N64 consoles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RJJ1ABS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thats what i bought (but the bit version to go in my ratchet screwdriver)

if you look at my pics again, you will notice the screws holding the game together is different

tried it on the SNES cartridge, and they work fine

Man of Honour
Who are the go to YouTube channels for retro information and gameplay?

For reviews, hidden gems, collecting etc I watch these the most

Classic Game Room (game and hardware reviews, funny)
Metal Jesus Rocks (systems and hidden gems, collecting)
Game Sack (game and hardware reviews)

Also worth a look

Kim Justice (UK 8bit centric documentaries)
The Game Chasers (game and system collecting with some history)
My Life In Gaming (getting the best out of systems, image quality etc)
The Gaming Historian (Documentary style)
Game Dave (reviews old and new)
Classic Gaming Quarterly (Documentary style)
Larry Bundy Jr (Obsure fact documentaries)
Nostalgia Nerd (UK centric documentary style)
Last Gamer (Australian world record game collection, bit amateur compared to most other I've listed)

I also watch

Pat the NES punk
Angry Video Game Nerd (Cinemassacre)
Gamester81
Adam Koralik

Man of Honour
thats what i bought (but the bit version to go in my ratchet screwdriver)

if you look at my pics again, you will notice the screws holding the game together is different

tried it on the SNES cartridge, and they work fine

Apparently some NES games had a Japanese converter inside due to production shortages. These were 5 screw cartridge games that didn't use the security bit. And you can open them with a flat head screw driver.#

That's what your screws look like. Nor does your game have the tabs at the top, which 5 screw games didn't have.

Soldato
I'm not sure I quite agree with this. Broadly speaking later revisions of models have been not as good as the original model (cost cutting, features removed etc, although you might argue that a later x360 which does not rrod is better than an early version!), but Scorpio and PS4 Pro are not a revision of the original machine, they should be viewed as entirely new machines as the changes are just too big to be considered a revision.

Associate
Apparently some NES games had a Japanese converter inside due to production shortages. These were 5 screw cartridge games that didn't use the security bit. And you can open them with a flat head screw driver.#

That's what your screws look like. Nor does your game have the tabs at the top, which 5 screw games didn't have.

Half Life 3 on the Nes!!

Back
Top Bottom