• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
This is a WCCF, so take it with pinch of salt but if this is true Skylake-E is DOA.

http://wccftech.com/amd-working-16-core-ryzen-cpu/

They've swiped that info' from here I bet.

"Il y a bien des Ryzen 16C/32T axés HEDT prévus sur X399 dans 4/6 mois. Clocks ~2.4/2.8G. 2 dies MCM. 4 chan DDR4. Socket LGA SP3r2. ~150W.
1f619.svg
"

"There are many Ryzen 16C / 32T focused HEDTs planned on X399 in 4/6 months. Clocks ~ 2.4 / 2.8G. 2 dies MCM. 4 chan DDR4. Socket LGA SP3r2. ~ 150W."

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/843099198799187968

Soldato
^^^Just tested that video myself with my 6600k it wont play it without stuttering :o Ryzen is calling ;)
Chrome is the only 8K version from what I can see. It buffers, so the peak on the chart here is where it was playing but then halted downloading more. Works ok on a slow xeon server chip with 8 cores.
If its saturating your cpu, rip the vid and play it locally on a more efficient player then a browser maybe
Mnak9WY.png

I'm not sure what the normal VRM temp is. I'm pretty sure they're ok up to 125c ish.

Isnt 125c a fire risk, I mean in theory you got some dust in there. Doesnt an extra 120mm fan help

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess a normal CPU fan generates some wind for the VRM's. My 240 aio will obviously have a lack of air for them.

I need some VRM heatsink cooling solution to be able to crank up the voltage.

What sort of VRM temperatures do you guys get on load?

You can check with HWInfo64 and look at usually the highest temp.

I stopped my 4Ghz stability test @ 1.4v after VRMs hit 125C (still rising at this stage).

I have really good airflow but nothing pointing directly at VRMs.

I think 3.9Ghz @ 1.32v peaked at 115-120C. Again I cut the Prime95 stability test short although ran it for an hour.

3.7Ghz @ 1.17v is a more sane 92C peak.

For one of the 100C temps I did touch the VRM heatsinks and they were obviously really hot but didnt burn me.

This is with a B350 board and small VRM heatsinks.

Last edited:
Associate
Just testing at 3.8

my vcore is between 1.24-1.26 in CPUZ under 100% load but when I stop testing and its idle it goes to 1.28. Why is that? I don't need it to drop but why is it bumping up in idle? @CH6

Soldato
Just testing at 3.8

my vcore is between 1.24-1.26 in CPUZ under 100% load but when I stop testing and its idle it goes to 1.28. Why is that? I don't need it to drop but why is it bumping up in idle? @CH6

It isn't bumping up on idle. It is dropping down on load.

The voltage on idle doesn't matter much anyway. Power consumption is far more dependent on load with modern CPUs.

For example, idle power consumption for me is at most (probably less) 10W higher with 3.7Ghz and 1.21v (idle voltage) versus the stock state where it clocks down to 1.55Ghz and voltage drops down to something like 0.6v. The actual current passing (amps) is more important. At idle this is very low.

The change in voltage from bios value to actual idle value is known as vdrop and then the change under load is known as vdroop. Loadline calibration (LLC) on your motherboard if enabled at aggressive settings will try and control for this.

Last edited:
Associate
Ahh cool! thanks for the info

Weirdly just came out of bios to see "CPU Overvolted" in red on start up. Went in to the bios and v core was at 1.7! Wtf! :D

Permabanned
damn after reading about those temps on VRM's I am very happy i went with Crosshair. No matter what VRM's stay below 65 !!!! Talking constant 1.417 while running Realbench nad IBT for hours

Soldato
I'm getting more and more tempted to jump in. I know the 7700k is faster for what I want to do which is game, but 16 threads is not easy to resist.

I keep thinking I'll wait abit to see if the current mobo, game performance and bios issue can be fixed. Also wait for Vega before buying a new GPU and might just get it all at once. But then I think, what am I waiting for? If Vega doesn't drop until the summer, we will be only another 8 months away from the next version of the Ryzen chip.

Soldato
I'm getting more and more tempted to jump in. I know the 7700k is faster for what I want to do which is game, but 16 threads is not easy to resist.

I keep thinking I'll wait abit to see if the current mobo, game performance and bios issue can be fixed. Also wait for Vega before buying a new GPU and might just get it all at once. But then I think, what am I waiting for? If Vega doesn't drop until the summer, we will be only another 8 months away from the next version of the Ryzen chip.

I'm the otherway i was very tempted to pre order but decided to wait for reviews then came the bios issues for some etc and now i'm wondering do i just wait for zen + with most/all the bugs worked out

Associate
I jumped from a 4770k to a 1700 and couldn't be happier with performance across a range of stuff, from video edit to gaming. Now there's some decent BIOS on the Crosshair my OC is good.

The only fly in the ointment is lack of boards and AM4 fan mounts... looking at you NZXT.

Associate
Just bought some DDR4 LPX 3000MHZ, and now to decide on Ryzen or Kaby Lake! Would a MSI Tomahawk be a good pairing with this RAM and a 1700? Or should I pay more for a X370 chipset? No interest in SLI/Crossfire

Soldato
I stopped my 4Ghz stability test @ 1.4v after VRMs hit 125C (still rising at this stage).

I have really good airflow but nothing pointing directly at VRMs.

I think 3.9Ghz @ 1.32v peaked at 115-120C. Again I cut the Prime95 stability test short although ran it for an hour.

3.7Ghz @ 1.17v is a more sane 92C peak.

For one of the 100C temps I did touch the VRM heatsinks and they were obviously really hot but didnt burn me.

This is with a B350 board and small VRM heatsinks.

I don't know what exactly the vrms are rated at but wouldn't be surprised if it's 125c max. People buying cheaper boards really need to watch that if pushing for 4.0, otherwise it's a failure waiting to happen. I've seen hot temps mentioned a lot plus the fan for cooling, but 100c+ sounds silly.

Soldato
Just bought some DDR4 LPX 3000MHZ, and now to decide on Ryzen or Kaby Lake! Would a MSI Tomahawk be a good pairing with this RAM and a 1700? Or should I pay more for a X370 chipset? No interest in SLI/Crossfire

My tomahawk couldnt handle my corsair vengeance led at more than 2400. The crosshair has got it at 2933. Whether or not this will change is another subject but MSI's reply to me was tough basically. As pointed elsewhere if overclocking VRM's will be an issue.

Associate
I don't know what exactly the vrms are rated at but wouldn't be surprised if it's 125c max. People buying cheaper boards really need to watch that if pushing for 4.0, otherwise it's a failure waiting to happen. I've seen hot temps mentioned a lot plus the fan for cooling, but 100c+ sounds silly.

They're normally rated for 125C beyond that they'll be losing a lot of efficiency. It's not insta-death but cooler is always better.

Associate
I hope the VRM temps don't give me trouble on the Asus Prime X370, as I currently have the FX-8350 CPU on the Gigabyte 970a-ud3p motherboard and I had to keep it at stock 4ghz as the VRM temps shot up to over a 100C if I overclocked even a little bit, the VRM temps were showing next to VR T1 and VR T2 in HWinfo.

Anyone with the X370 Prime please let me know what your VRM temps are like?

Associate
Where do I check the vrm temps?
Not sure what heading it comes under in HWinfo as it's different for other motherboards, but it should be the highest temp on there (after putting the CPU under heavy load to be sure).

On my Gigabyte AM3+ it's shown under VR T1 and VR T2. For Asus I'm sure it'll have a different name.

Back
Top Bottom