ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Soldato
is it ryzen bricking all these boards or a poor design by asus?

code 8<blank> means there is cpu problem. Typically seen after a failed overclocking random reboot under load, but it happens without overclocking on some X cpus with the Crosshair Hero, bricking the system.

I had this issue appearing
a) When i initially build the system. Had to flash the bios to 0902 to make it work. (Wednesday)
b) After flashing to 1001. But worked with a bios clear (Friday)
c) Out of nowhere when I had to reboot windows. spent an hour to recover it. So decided to re install the CPU. Which worked.
b) while i was playing The division just shut down and showed that error. Flashed at 0902 and worked.
d) few hours later while i was playing WOT, whole system shut down. And the dreaded error came up. Spent 5 hours until 3:30am to fix it. Used all 3 of the latter BIOS, re installed the CPU (second time that night), removed power supply and battery in case the reset bios button didn't clean the BIOS. Nothing.

So after that I gave up.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
would u say ryzen is to be avoided altogether or just the ch6, im building a new pc and i am trying to choose between ryzen and the 7700k. sorry about ur board.
Am now returning my CH6 through OCUK. Its randomly overvolted my CPU to 1.7v as per this older thread. twice over a few hours of tweaking in the bios.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84041-Cpu-overvoltage-error

Not impressed.....less impressed when I see its on an older board as well.

Associate
Am now returning my CH6 through OCUK. Its randomly overvolted my CPU to 1.7v as per this older thread. twice over a few hours of tweaking in the bios.

I've seen that mentioned. Bit worrying that. Even more so when people are setting the voltage only for it to boot up at a different one. I set mine at 1.35 and it booted at 1.5+ with the temp rising. I stopped playing with bios at that point.

Soldato

Some of the answers on that thread are absolutely fantastic and possibly explains how the CH6 blew up my Ryzen CPU by never sawing it dropping bellow 1.42v even at stock speed inside the bios.

The first rule of the RVE spontaneous overvoltage club is you don't talk about the RVE spontaneous overvoltage club

I have swapped out a board over this...others rely on Intel performance protection plan...or both
Hahahhaah

@loxocemus imho I would stay away from the Asus boards. I hadn't touch one for 12+ years now. And both were problematic.
Buy a Gigabyte or Asrock or MSI. Their UEFI bios might not be similar to Asus, but they do the job done.

Associate
would u say ryzen is to be avoided altogether or just the ch6, im building a new pc and i am trying to choose between ryzen and the 7700k. sorry about ur board.

Ryzen is ace! This board is not. My 3.7 @ 1.225 (what It was on when ch6 decided 1.7v was better) is no longer stable. This board has damaged my chip. I will be getting another 1700 now. My last three boards have been gigabyte. Only issue I've had with them is a touch of lag in the bois. This will be my last Asus motherboard. I'm sure most won't have this issue and if they don't It's a decent board. So I'm not going to tell people not to buy a CH6 but from a personal point of view you can see how damaging a cpu is pretty much as bad as I motherboard issue can get. Especially when the same issue is being reported in earlier models with no word from Asus. That is enough to swear me off. Will order a k7 now.

Associate
OP
Ryzen is ace! This board is not. My 3.7 @ 1.225 (what It was on when ch6 decided 1.7v was better) is no longer stable. This board has damaged my chip. I will be getting another 1700 now. My last three boards have been gigabyte. Only issue I've had with them is a touch of lag in the bois. This will be my last Asus motherboard. I'm sure most won't have this issue and if they don't It's a decent board. So I'm not going to tell people not to buy a CH6 but from a personal point of view you can see how damaging a cpu is pretty much as bad as I motherboard issue can get. Especially when the same issue is being reported in earlier models with no word from Asus. That is enough to swear me off. Will order a k7 now.
is the k7 a more stable problem free board?

Associate
is the k7 a more stable problem free board?
From what I've heard there are less issues, I only went ch6 due to availability otherwise k7 would have been my choice. Gigabyte issues can be fixed via bios. More importantly they won't stick stupid volts through your cpu and damage a £300 component which judging by that old thread asus couldn't care less about

Associate
OP
From what I've heard there are less issues, I only went ch6 due to availability otherwise k7 would have been my choice. Gigabyte issues can be fixed via bios. More importantly they won't stick stupid volts through your cpu and damage a £300 component which judging by that old thread asus couldn't care less about
is the k7 readily available yet?

Associate
I've made a decision I'm also going for the Gigabyte K7 that was also my first choice the CH6 is just too risky so it's going back.

Just haven't got the time to mess about already took me good few hours yesterday with a bad outcome although it was the cooler bracket rather than the board it's just too much of a risk.

Anyone know what the issues are with the K7 I'm presuming ite just just minor stuff nothing compared to the CH6 it's a shame because it is a very smart board

Associate
I've made a decision I'm also going for the Gigabyte K7 that was also my first choice the CH6 is just too risky so it's going back.

Just haven't got the time to mess about already took me good few hours yesterday with a bad outcome although it was the cooler bracket rather than the board it's just too much of a risk.

Anyone know what the issues are with the K7 I'm presuming ite just just minor stuff nothing compared to the CH6 it's a shame because it is a very smart board

From what I've read of the gaming 5. Its pretty smooth sailing. RAM easier to set up and certainly nothing like what happened on my CH6!

Associate
From what I've read of the gaming 5. Its pretty smooth sailing. RAM easier to set up and certainly nothing like what happened on my CH6!

Yes it should be a lot better for the price the CH6 is not worth it.

I was told it will be hitting the market end of next week so just waiting now going to send the CH6 back just waste of time really.

Associate
Seriously dude you should be happy if your rma is gonna be successful. Beta bioses are used at your own risk

Associate
And he warned everybody...he pulled it off as it wasn't working...lol complaining on forums that unstable version of the bios has bugs just seems not right...

Back
Top Bottom