• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
What's the deal with Power Choke ratings?

Some motherboards are advertised as having 45A power chokes (Asrock x370 Gaming k4) and the more higher end boards like the Taichi have chokes which are rated at 60A. I wonder what the X370 Prime choke rating is.

Last edited:
Associate
What's the deal with Power Choke ratings?

Some motherboards are advertised as having 45A power (Asrock x370 Gaming k4) chokes and the more higher end boards like the Taichi have chokes which are rated at 60A. I wonder what the X370 Prime choke rating is.
any reviews on the taichi for stability etc

Associate
i believe the taichi has better/more power phases than most boards, i don't know if it helps or not as it doesn't seem to have helped the ch6
Oh right, it must not make a big difference then. The Taichi has more power phases than the CH6 but the CH6 has the normal 8 pin cpu connector and an extra 4 pin CPU power connector where the Tiachi only has the single 8 pin, it just doesn't make sense sometimes.

Soldato
Oh right, it must not make a big difference then. The Taichi has more power phases than the CH6 but the CH6 has the normal 8 pin cpu connector and an extra 4 pin CPU power connector where the Tiachi only has the single 8 pin, it just doesn't make sense sometimes.
The extra 4 pin is only required for ln2 overclocking.

Soldato
Whats come to mind today which I hope isn't the case is that developers will have to choose a camp to optimise for.

What I mean by this is with AMD saying that they are going to sit down with devs to optimise some of their games for Ryzen, I hope that doesn't mean that as a Dev has to choose to implement Nvidia tech or AMD tech at a graphics level that a dev will now also have to make a decision do I optimise for AMD's Ryzen or go down the Intel route! Because here I think most devs would choose to side with Intel, considering the market share.

Soldato
Whats come to mind today which I hope isn't the case is that developers will have to choose a camp to optimise for.

What I mean by this is with AMD saying that they are going to sit down with devs to optimise some of their games for Ryzen, I hope that doesn't mean that as a Dev has to choose to implement Nvidia tech or AMD tech at a graphics level that a dev will now also have to make a decision do I optimise for AMD's Ryzen or go down the Intel route! Because here I think most devs would choose to side with Intel, considering the market share.

I would think that optimising for ryzen would also provide gains for intel platforms aswell. So everyone's a winner.

Associate
Then there is also the off chance by AMD working with dev's to program for multi core, it could springboard Intel that much farther ahead. With software properly built, AMD could accidentally shoot themselves in the foot. The upside is everyone will be a winner.

Soldato
Then there is also the off chance by AMD working with dev's to program for multi core, it could springboard Intel that much farther ahead. With software properly built, AMD could accidentally shoot themselves in the foot. The upside is everyone will be a winner.
For the x99 platform yes it could well do. But for Intel's four cores i think it could be a different story. It's all speculation now and nobody knows for sure but more cores are definitely the future.

Soldato
Imagine how long it would have taken Intel to get 8 core to mainstream?

Thank God for this new amd platform.

I had sworn off multi gpu setups, but am tempted when Vega comes out to see how this lot really does for gaming...

Intel and nvidia just taking the mickey with pricing. At least nvidia doesn't hold back the performance though.

Associate
Imagine how long it would have taken Intel to get 8 core to mainstream?

Thank God for this new amd platform.

I had sworn off multi gpu setups, but am tempted when Vega comes out to see how this lot really does for gaming...

Intel and nvidia just taking the mickey with pricing. At least nvidia doesn't hold back the performance though.

Although it took nvidia long enough to release the 1080ti

Permabanned
Not sure about that not more than few pages back someone said hes VRM's are frying above 10c when overclocked. I stay below 60.

Soldato
Who's seen the rumors of a 16 core Ryzen chip? Now that sounds interesting.
Interesting, but also a tad pointless. From the rumors I have seen it will have 16c32t and use a seperate platform with 4 RAM channels. That's super mega niche right there, I very much doubt that the amount of people who want 32 threads and QC are large enough to warrant the R&D time/money it will entail so presumably this is a big expensive show off session on AMD's part? (assuming it's real).

I mean, the setup basically falls into the same category as an Intel dual 2011 board with a pair of 8c16t Xeons, and those setups were hardly flying off the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom