*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Has anyone else had issues with the right joycon r stick? I can't use my scope in Zelda. About 20 hours in so reluctant to have to replace the whole thing as the save game wont carry across.

Man of Honour
My 2 cents on the pro controller.

The battery is awesome - it seems to last forever?! At least 3/4 times longer than the PS4 controller.

It is a little small for even my girly hands. Price is also poor - £60 for a controller is just silly.

But it is so much better for playing Zelda.

Man of Honour
Mine just flat wont work. Also having tested inputs in system settings there is nothing registered from the r analog press. Bummer!
Depending on how much you value your time... you could just buy a new set of joy cons?

Probably the best option tbh - redoing £70 at 20 hours... £3.50 an hour? :p

Or just buy a single joy con.

Associate
Anyone here using a usb to ethernet/lan adapter with their switch dock?
Just saw the price of the official one and then someone commented they used a cheap rainforest one

I have one that came with my HP Spectre, will try that tomorrow to see if it works

Soldato
Depending on how much you value your time... you could just buy a new set of joy cons?

Probably the best option tbh - redoing £70 at 20 hours... £3.50 an hour? :p

Or just buy a single joy con.

Haha good way of looking at it. I managed to find one on my birthday when everywhere was sold out so I'm massively chuffed with that. I don't really need the scope but if it affects Mario kart I will have to take the plunge.

Man of Honour
Haha good way of looking at it. I managed to find one on my birthday when everywhere was sold out so I'm massively chuffed with that. I don't really need the scope but if it affects Mario kart I will have to take the plunge.
The scope is pretty useful with the pins especially when finding some pesky shrines / towers! I would have much preferred it if the map was fixed and didn't spin around when you move :/

Man of Honour
How are people playing binding of Isaac? Is it worth sorting out a US account just for that?

Also, do I really need a screen protector :(??

A screen protector is really important as these are plastic screens not glass.

I would have much preferred it if the map was fixed and didn't spin around when you move :/

Have a look at the settings in the pause menu ;)

Man of Honour
Will do - cheers. Didn't even think of that as it's never been an issue in a zelda game before, IIRC, although I do try and forget skyward sword.

Associate
Handy tip for TV mode play (no need to dock):
You can play Switch in TV mode without the console itself having to enter the dock. I.e. no fear of scratches and such. All you need is a USB-C extension cable and a way to make sure that the hardware can get space for air for the air vents. This video explains it all. The long and short of it is, the only thing different you do is plug one end of the extension into the bottom of the dock itself, where the Switch would normally sit. And then the other end into the bottom of your Switch. And voila. TV mode without fear of scratching your screen with the dock.

Also some more confirmation that the Switch does use the stock chip from Digital Foundry themselves. Keep in mind that despite using 2 year old hardware, the Switch manages to make the most of the Tegra X1 and is still impressive in what it can do. My only complaint and one that I've always had, is that a Pascal based Tegra X2 would have provided the Switch with more battery life from the higher efficiency of the newer architecture. And I'll always be sour about that. Could have been 4 or 5 hours of Zelda on the go instead of 3. Richard does mention that that the PR info by Nvidia/Nintendo was honestly misleading, since they mention "custom Tegra X1" and "power behind the latest Nvidia GPUs". A shame that the PR lies makes things look a bit worse (as if someone were ashamed of it).

The rest of the video is an unreleased videocast made before Tegra X1 being confirmed, where the DigitalFoundry guys thought that the Switch would be using a more recent Tegra X2. AKA speculative discussion on what could have been. Justa bit of entertainment. Regardless, here's the video:

Caporegime
Also some more confirmation that the Switch does use the stock chip from Digital Foundry themselves. Keep in mind that despite using 2 year old hardware, the Switch manages to make the most of the Tegra X1 and is still impressive in what it can do. My only complaint and one that I've always had, is that a Pascal based Tegra X2 would have provided the Switch with more battery life from the higher efficiency of the newer architecture. And I'll always be sour about that. Could have been 4 or 5 hours of Zelda on the go instead of 3. Richard does mention that that the PR info by Nvidia/Nintendo was honestly misleading, since they mention "custom Tegra X1" and "power behind the latest Nvidia GPUs". A shame that the PR lies makes things look a bit worse (as if someone were ashamed of it)

I agree, it should not have been marketed about being a custom chip. It makes me wonder why they did it. Oh well. Still don't give a flying. I stopped caring a long time ago about hardware inside consoles and I found I began enjoying the experience way more :)

Not that I am not interested in the hardware, no no...that's a different kettle of fish altogether!

Caporegime
If you can stomach Ben Heck, he's done a teardown.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/19/ben-heck-s-nintendo-switch-teardown/

He makes some interesting remarks. Mainly around how the inside of the console is modular. Meaning some individual parts could be upgraded easily, for example the internal storage is on it's own circuit board, meaning it can be hot swapped out for a higher capacity one.

Meaning the Switch is, in some ways, upgradable!

Man of Honour
Anyone here using a usb to ethernet/lan adapter with their switch dock?
Just saw the price of the official one and then someone commented they used a cheap rainforest one

I have one that came with my HP Spectre, will try that tomorrow to see if it works

I plugged in a generic one I received with my lapgop and the Switch said it wasn't working in the Network Settings but the connection was definitely more stable so I think it was working.

Caporegime
If you can stomach Ben Heck, he's done a teardown.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/19/ben-heck-s-nintendo-switch-teardown/

He makes some interesting remarks. Mainly around how the inside of the console is modular. Meaning some individual parts could be upgraded easily, for example the internal storage is on it's own circuit board, meaning it can be hot swapped out for a higher capacity one.

Meaning the Switch is, in some ways, upgradable!

Not watched it, but it's really not. If they do upgrade it, which they most likely will, an upgrade service will never be offered. Doing it ourselves will probably be likely, but expensive and risky.

Just skipped through, that guy is an *******.

Back
Top Bottom